PDA

View Full Version : Expert escape artists...

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-10-2006, 10:27 AM
I went back to work this week, had mom come by to let out the puppers.
1st day, Lil' Smokey sneeks past her at the fence gate. He doesn' t go anywhere, sniffing in the drive way ( 'cos he' s never been in the drive way)
Call him back inside & he runs back in the yard.
Yesterday, she comes to let them out. Eveything went fine, I was on my cell the whole time with her (I was on lunch at the time)
I get home after work last night & no Lil' Smokey or Sassy Baby at the door to greet me.(they are baby gated to the kitchen) They' re not in their crates or in the kitchen at all:scratch: I look in the other room at the baby gate & there' s everybody on the other side! Luckily the house survived without any damage! The only thing I found was a dryer sheet, a votive candle chewed up, a few socks from the laundry basket, and all was well!!!!
The escape artists used a step-stool to jump the baby-gate!:rotfl: My mom didn' t think they were able to do that. She used it to get them a treat after potty time & so she could get out of the house. These are smart pups & they know what the step-stool is for!

areese
03-10-2006, 10:37 AM
LOL that's so cute!!!!!!

Nancy
03-10-2006, 11:31 AM
that is sooo cute! they are keeping you thinkin'!

Yolanda
03-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Very typical for a doxie.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Bella's Mom
03-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Too funny! :rotfl: You just really never know what they are capable of!

Mama S.
03-10-2006, 03:22 PM
THis is why my backyard looks almost like Alcatraz:rotfl: My little Houdini's can find an escape spot at 100 yards! Lost Shadow yesterday morning - I hunted I screamed i called - POOF here she appears between our house and the neighbors:shocked: She knew I was mad - go tthe tail tucked - I didn't do it L@@K. How can you stay mad at that?:rotfl:
Sandi

Alex's Mom
03-10-2006, 04:05 PM
What kills me (almost literally) is when they escape and then can't find their way home!!!!! Before I got Alex, Maxe had the run of the securely fenced in back yard...most of it was surrounded by a rock wall. I was preparing supper for a birthday party (mine), and let her out. It was raining, so figured she'd just run out and run back in again. For probably the only time in her life, rain didn't seem to bother her...after 10 minutes, no dog. Couldn't find her ANYWHERE!!!! :eek: Searched the whole neighbourhood, no dog. My ex (before he was my ex) arrived home, he went and looked. No dog. Guests showed up, we ate, and I had to keep disappearing into the kitchen to have a good :sad1: . Guests went home, no dog. By this point, I was beyond beside myself. Worst birthday I ever spent, without a doubt!!! Next morning made all the calls to the shelters etc., and the local SPCA said that someone had called in a "long brown small dog" in my neighbourhood. Where exactly, I asked? The stupid thing was two doors down from me!!!!! Apparently she must have tried to come home but didn't recognize the right house (we'd only lived there for seven years, after all :scratch: ) The people who had her said that they heard her whimpering (the rain thing finally kicked in, I guess :rotfl: ), brought her in, gave her a nice warm bath, and the kids hoped they could keep her. The bath served her right...not her favourite thing. They brought her back home, and she wouldn't even look at me for a whole day...REALLY knew she'd done a bad thing though! I, of course, was just SO relieved that she was home safe and sound that I immediately forgave her. Added 10 years to my life though, I swear! Fence got fixed fast though...it was a teeny tiny little space between the rock wall and the wooden fence which I wouldn't have thought she could have squeezed through! Just goes to show, they're too darned smart (and agile) for their own good sometimes!

areese
03-10-2006, 04:33 PM
(snipped) Added 10 years to my life though, I swear! Fence got fixed fast though...it was a teeny tiny little space between the rock wall and the wooden fence which I wouldn't have thought she could have squeezed through! Just goes to show, they're too darned smart (and agile) for their own good sometimes!
I want my husband to read this!!!! He gets all mad at me when I won't just leave the weens outside without checking on them every few minutes. He told me last night he thinks I should set the timer and leave them alone for 10 minutes. yeah right. We live in the country. Various and sundry animals dig under the fence all the time...I don't check it every day. I can't see all of the backyard cuz of big pine trees and they can also go to the side of the house where I can't see them. I do put a bell on Laika so if I can HEAR her anyway it's ok. (Owen's still a homebody but I bet he'll get over that this summer!) There's 150 acres of woods behind us. Just think what fun they could have and I'd never find them!!! Laika (thank goodness) voices when she is on a good scent or sees something so at least I am warned if there's some reason she'd want to escape but I can't count on that...

Alex's Mom
03-10-2006, 04:53 PM
when I moved from that house after I got Alex, I built another house out in the country. I put in a 12'x40' dog run, and trenched the linked fence so that they couldn't dig under it. that's absolutely the ONLY way I'd EVER feel safe leaving them out by themselves for any length of time after the "Maxe Birthday episode". You go girl!!! DH would change his tune pretty fast if one of them went missing, I bet!

Jen
03-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Well gee Laurie, after your mom showed them how to use the step stool to get over the gate, how could they resist? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Glad they didn't do any major damage!

areese
03-10-2006, 06:04 PM
when I moved from that house after I got Alex, I built another house out in the country. I put in a 12'x40' dog run, and trenched the linked fence so that they couldn't dig under it. that's absolutely the ONLY way I'd EVER feel safe leaving them out by themselves for any length of time after the "Maxe Birthday episode". You go girl!!! DH would change his tune pretty fast if one of them went missing, I bet!

He'd be FRANTIC if one was missing! Laika got out once a few years ago, chasing a neighbor's stupid cat-got through a small space between the gate and the house. I knew immediately somehow and got her right away and Rob fixed the gap. She's bigger now anyway :-) Rob DOES check the perimeter in the summer regularly but we haven't been out in awhile so how does he know it's safe? I'd need three feet of concrete underground around the fence to feel secure! And once both gates were open. I have no idea how-must have been the meter reader but now I chained the one I can't see.
My pig escaped once when we first moved in. He climbed onto the deck out of his pen and ran away. I got home from work, he was gone (he had also removed the screen door that goes to the deck but couldn't manage the glass sliding door I guess LOL) I was panicked...then I heard something...he was rooting in garbage cans at the neighbors and he always is oinking and grunting ALL the time. He ran home-he knew that was bad!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-11-2006, 09:30 AM
I am very well aware of what they are capable of!!! They watch & study me constantly! They can tell my mom where the food & treats are, and bring the dish over & "tell" her to put food in it!!! I know they are very smart... but my mom is clueless!!!!:rotfl:
I get the same thing, you don' t leave 'em out long enough....you don' t have to actually watch 'em....do you ever let 'em play outside? (alone, no way!)
The only time they are out w/o me is when I watch thru the open door!
Yeah, I have a privacy fence & dog wire (what we call a grade below horse & cattle fence) and I know they can still dig under if they ever get that idea! So far I don' t have any diggers....but you never know, right?
If they see the rabbits start to come near the fence or the kittys, that could spark an interest. No, I don' t trust 'em!!!!

areese
03-11-2006, 11:45 AM
I am very well aware of what they are capable of!!! They watch & study me constantly! They can tell my mom where the food & treats are, and bring the dish over & "tell" her to put food in it!!! I know they are very smart... but my mom is clueless!!!!:rotfl:
I get the same thing, you don' t leave 'em out long enough....you don' t have to actually watch 'em....do you ever let 'em play outside? (alone, no way!)
The only time they are out w/o me is when I watch thru the open door!
Yeah, I have a privacy fence & dog wire (what we call a grade below horse & cattle fence) and I know they can still dig under if they ever get that idea! So far I don' t have any diggers....but you never know, right?
If they see the rabbits start to come near the fence or the kittys, that could spark an interest. No, I don' t trust 'em!!!!

Yeah-you never know what might "inspire" them to try to get out and then god only knows what they would do. Mine don't dig either, but other critters dig to get IN my fence! I was at an agility trial once and Laika pulled the fasteners over on the x-pen and opened the gate and let both her and Owen out. (I use a carabiner now to hold it shut) and once I looked over when I was working in the ring and she had climbed up and had all four feet off the ground-her front feet over the top. She couldn't manage the rest of the way thank goodness. She needs your mom's stool!!!

lotsadox
03-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Dachsies are very clever! Especially if food or escape is the motivation! :hula1: Glad there was no damage to your house! :banana: