PDA

View Full Version : OK so maybe Hershey loves his vet tech

Mama S.
03-10-2006, 03:29 PM
but I think she's an idiot. I love her, don't get me wrong but she overheard me talking this morning to the new receptionist about having to go buy more chicken for the herd. She asked "Is feeding raw meat safe?" I was fixing to answer when Jamie pops up and tells her NO - it's NOT safe - too many problems with possible bacteria, don't feed any kind of raw pork - chicken is THE only safe raw but only if you buy it whole and cut it up yourself. Oh guess what? Corn & wheat & stuff is NOT filler??? The cardboard that is shredded and put in Ole Sam's dogfood is filler. SHe lost major brownie points this morning. Hershey loves her dearly and will allow her to do anything for him - MAJOR trust issues - but when it comes to feeding him - I'll do that thank you.
I only wish I would have felt more comfortable(knowledgeable) about RAW. GOtta finish reading my book. I did poke in a comment to the girl about How many dogs you ever seen at a salad bar? THEY ARE CARNIVORES.
SAndi

Jen
03-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Some people are just so resistant to change, its crazy. Yup, don't heed the feeding advice, but Hershey can still love the tech....and eat raw!

Tomorrow I hope to walk the mile to a store that is supposed to carry the frozen NV mediallions. DH is resistant to raw but maybe if its prepackaged, and we only feed it at supper, the meal I give Tasha, then it will be ok.

Lisa
03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Rafi was resistant to Jen, but once we started on the medallions and he did realize it's totally as easy as kibble (actually easier, because we don't have to beg them to eat!), I think he has finally come around. We are still really careful about following proper washup of the utensils and their bowls - but the difference it's made it the dogs has been amazing.

quavec
03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
I think that raw makes sense. Am I doing it? Nope. Just like I'd love to feed my human kids all organic, I just can't do it right now, ya know? And I find that alot of vet techs aren't as knowledgable as some of us think. I used to put ALL medical (human and animal) staff on a pedastal. Not anymore!

Mama S.
03-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I just can't do it right now, ya know?
I understand completely! I'm lucky that it's just me and Jamie at home - no kids to take care of and I still get the urge to buy that bag of dog food that maybe I'm not doing something right! I loved the medallions and wish I could 1) find them and 2) afford them for all 8!
Sandi

Jen
03-10-2006, 04:21 PM
We are still really careful about following proper washup of the utensils and their bowls - but the difference it's made it the dogs has been amazing.

Other than soap and hot water do you do anything special to clean up?

Mama S.
03-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Other than soap and hot water do you do anything special to clean up?
I feed my guys out on my back deck, it is made of wood. I use Greased Lightening to clean the chicken grease - just spray - whoosh with a long handled scrub brush then wash off - I bought a small version of the 1 gallon sprayer - you pump it and it sprays rather than trigger. I mix a bleach solution in it and spray the wood with that - then after it sits a bit, rinse off. Easy cheezy! I also use a plastic cutting board to cut op the chicken and spray that with my bleach solution so that I don't contaminate anything. Jamie swears I'm gross grabbing the chicken and sawing away - "You're gonna die of salmonella" This from the woman who wouldn't get dirt on her hands as a kid!
SAndi

HotDogMama
03-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Jen, when your dh sees the look on Tasha's face when she finally gets a taste of the medallions he will have a total change of heart. Molly loves dinnertime now, I used to have to fight her with kibble, even the NV kibble :confused: but she totally loves the medallions. She looks so happy after she eats, hopefully he will see that in Tasha and feel better about it! Bobby could care less what I give Molly as long as he doesn't have to be bothered with it!! :rotfl:

Nancy
03-10-2006, 05:20 PM
I did poke in a comment to the girl about How many dogs you ever seen at a salad bar? THEY ARE CARNIVORES.
SAndi

LOL! shhh, don't let molly know that carrots are a salad product, she's thinks they are the ONLY treat in the world! :rotfl:

jennie_c_d
03-10-2006, 05:26 PM
My dogs would love to eat the salad bar. They also love the litter box, so I don't use what they like as a guideline for feeding them, LOL.

Lisa
03-10-2006, 05:42 PM
No Jen, Soap and hot water, most of the stuff goes in the dishwasher, but I don't actually touch the product, I use plastic gloves, put it in tupperware and then into the fridge, I am a total germaphobe!! So I admire Sandi & Courtney, I couldn't touch Raw meat....I swear sometimes I need one of those plastic bubbles to put around me.

Mama S.
03-10-2006, 05:50 PM
So I admire Sandi & Courtney, I couldn't touch Raw meat....I swear sometimes I need one of those plastic bubbles to put around me.
I find it really weird that I'll do it - guess I'll do anything for the puppers! I grew up with a VERY German mother who kept a VERY German house - never a sign of dirt dust anything anywhere - How I am able to grab a raw chicken thigh and cut it up is beyond me - even when it gets under my nails - a year ago I would have totaly bugged out at even the thought! Now I just grab it and start hacking!
Sandi

Jen
03-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Ewww, chicken under the nails, I hate it when that happens!!

Ok Lisa, soap and hot water it is (no dishwasher though). And a dedicated tupperware container. I already have some of those for the tripette!

Courtney
03-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Should I post a picture of me with "liver hands"?

ok I will. :rotfl:

http://static.flickr.com/7/11909706_18cf40874e.jpg

Mama S.
03-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Should I post a picture of me with "liver hands"?

I'm so glad you posted that - I meant to ask - I bought the guys beef liver - NOBODY would TOUCH IT. I had dried liver treats that they scarfed like no tomorrow but the fresh stuff they sniffed and walked away - eneded up throwing every bit of it away.. ANy clues?
Sandi

Lisa
03-10-2006, 06:09 PM
NICE Courtney, really, really NICE! I better get some more 'Po & Thor pictures after having to look at that! Ewwwww. You crack me up Courtney. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Actually, that is a very cool pic.

quavec
03-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Adam needs to have that as his wallpaper Courtney!! :rotfl:

Courtney
03-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Feed it frozen Sandi. Napoleon won't touch it if it is thawed! :) And remember not to overdo it! A little liver goes a long way!