PDA

View Full Version : I think Heidi is getting too big

Michelle
03-10-2006, 04:18 PM
and I need to get a scale or get her to one and see how much she weighs now. She is really getting heavy when I pick her up and I think she is starting to put a little bit tooo much weight on. :shocked: :shocked: She does not look fat. But just big and solid. Her belly is very trim but around her chest area she just looks so hefty.

I tossed my scale when we moved last year into the house. Now I don't have a scale and have no idea how much she weighs. The last time she was weighed was in November and she was 12.8lbs. I think she has crept up past that..

I will have to post you all some pics of her and see what you think, in the meantime, I should try and find a place with a scale. I wonder if they would get mad if I brought her into the grocery store and quickly put her on the vegtable scales :rotfl: :rotfl:

Jen
03-10-2006, 04:19 PM
I bought a baby scale on ebay for Tasha. Works great. Cost about $20, not bad at all.

Do post pics, she should have a nicely defined waist and you should be able to easily feel her ribs.

Patt
03-10-2006, 04:27 PM
The "ideal" weight for a dog is approximately the weight where the last 3 to 5 ribs are just barely visible or can be felt with a very light touch. Many dogs are overweight and many dog owners feel their dog is too thin if they can see any ribs. It is better from a health perspective to be a little too thin than to be a little too heavy, though.

Here's a link for you to see how she measures up...

http://www.placervillevet.com/canine%20body%20condition.htm

oceangirls
03-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Of my two sisters, Angel is much bigger boned than Cassie and has a big chest like you mentioned. But I have had to watch her closely because she tends to be more of a couch potato... also used to be I would have to coax her to finish her food, but sometime this year she decided she REALLY LIKED FOOD. I like to see a nice indentation in the belly area, so as soon as I see that looking less defined I will cut back on the food just a tiny amount. I'd also like to get a scale :)

If you have pics of Heidi (especially taken from above), feel free to post them to get some opinions!

~ In fact, you should post pictures of both girls just because they are pretty and we need to see them! ~

Michelle
03-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Here's a link for you to see how she measures up...

http://www.placervillevet.com/canine%20body%20condition.htm

Thanks for that link Patt, I just looked at it, and Heidi is definately not a "6" on the scale I looked at which says overweight, she looks more like a "5",
I have to get some pics of her when I get home later and post them.

When you look at her from the top, you can definately tell where her waist is and where her chest comes in. and when you look at her from the side view you can see the indentation where her belly is. But for some reason she just feels so heavy when I pick her up..

Gotta post some pics tonight,,,

Mama S.
03-10-2006, 04:54 PM
should have a nicely defined waist and you should be able to easily feel her ribs.
Only waist around my house is the leftovers that now go in the garbage can instead of the garbage dogs:rotfl: I was so pleased with Hershey & Shadow's weights - am terrified of even thinking about taking fat boy near a scale.. Must admit that he is showing tons more energy on the raw so maybe we can get some pounds off him!
Sandi