PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Update

doxrox
07-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks everyone for all the :bigrayz: Please keep them coming! Last week the neurologist prescribed 2 weeks worth of gabapentin and tramadol, both are for the pain, and of course crate rest. He is not on any type of anti-inflammatory like rimadyl or previcox. Unfortunately after a week he is not showing any signs of improvement. He has total mobility and normal function but is in pain and having muscle spasms around his neck. The neurologist told me neck injuries are different than lower back and tend to be chronic and require surgery. I'm going to call today to see what she thinks about the lack of progress. I trust her, she is well renowned and operated on Charlie 3 times.

Osc is a spaz in the crate and digs and thrashes about but fortunately I'm with him all day and he sleeps right at my feet while I work. When I have to leave he goes in the crate but I'm afraid of him hurting himself in the crate. I'm working with him on getting acclimated to being in there but it's an uphill battle.

I am dreading the fact that he may need surgery. First and foremost of course is my concern for his health but it's also freaking me out financially. Having just divorced and incurred large moving expenses and large vet bills with Charlie's illness the cost of the surgery will suck up the remaining meager financial cushion I have. But he can't live in constant pain, he's miserable. Osc is the only one of my kids I raised from a puppy and he is my special boy.

Heidi got bit on the azz by fireants and Vinnie ate something outside and hurled all over my new carpet in several spots...sigh...both are fine but I think I'm losing my sanity :duh: Seems like everything bad is happening all at once. Never a dull moment!

Barb
07-06-2010, 09:24 AM
oh nos - you need loads of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for all. Please keep us posted on Oscar...hoping the meds will kick in.... :crossfin:
Hang in there mommy... :hug99:

areese
07-06-2010, 09:29 AM
What is the reason for no anti-inflammatory?? Steroids seem like the med of choice for disc problems...
Have you checked out dodger's list? Lots of dogs on there dealing with cervical issues and the moderators have a lot of experience, maybe they have some more ideas...
One thing I did for my friend's dog who had recurring/chronic cervical issues was make her a cervical collar. it kept her from moving her head/neck around too much, supported her head, and made her a lot more comfortable!!
We just measured her neck, decided on the width, sewed a sorta tube, stuffed it lightly with polyfill and sewed velcro on the ends. Experimented with various designs first but the simple stuffed one worked best. her dog actually liked wearing it.
many many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for all the dogs and yourself.

vferraro99
07-06-2010, 10:22 AM
I also do not understand the reason for not giving anti-inflamatory meds. It would probably help, and the steroids would give him more mobility and less pain.

You need tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: here. I'm so sorry you're going through so much. Sending :crossfin::crossfin::crossfin: that Oscar responds to the meds quick.

Yolanda
07-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Lori,

I was hoping for much better news for Oscar. Many Many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Two things come to mind for cervical injuries.

1. Ensure his bowls are elevated so he does not have to bend his neck to eat or drink.

2. Put a slight brace on his neck. For my little girl Tina (who had two neck operations) they used an 1" ace bandage wrapped around the neck and over the shoulder.

Also, did you ask why no anti-inflammatory meds.

Good luck and please keep us updated on his progress.

Lisa
07-06-2010, 01:02 PM
More rayz for Oscar! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Beside Yo, I know Tracy's (RedHairedGirl) boy Mitch had a neck issue. I'll look to see if I can find the thread and if it mentions what protocol he was on.

Lisa
07-06-2010, 01:07 PM
HERE (http://doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=22836) is the Mitch thread. I am so sorry you have to go through this Lorrie. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

bittyup
07-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Sorry I missed your original post. Lots and lots of:bigrayz::bigrayz:for everybody in the house. hope all are feeling better. I do not know why the anti inflammatory wasn't perscribed but I have heard the reason that when they do not feel pain they may over exert themselves but then when they are in pain the tend to tense up the muscles sooo:dunno:Hope Oscar is feeling better soon:hug99::bigrayz::bigrayz:

RustysMom
07-06-2010, 01:41 PM
oodles of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Oscar, and you :hug99:

lotsadox
07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Oscar. If he's thrashing around in the crate when you have to crate him that could be the reason that he's not improving. He might be happier in an Xpen or even just confined to a small room like a bathroom.

I'm also wondering why no anti-inflammatories. That does seem odd.

Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

ScarletBegonias
07-06-2010, 04:47 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: major rayz for you and Oscar

LexieLuvr
07-06-2010, 04:57 PM
More Oscar :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:! I think if it was my dog, I'd get a second opinion - and/or go to a holistic vet for acupuncture and other treatment!