PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Update #2

doxrox
07-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Called the neurologist and got the go ahead to give Oscar previcox. Gave it to him a few hours ago and I can already see a difference. Apparently the reason she didn't prescribe it initially was because my regular vet gave him a steroid shot and you can't mix that with NSAIDs. However it was only 1 shot and out of his system days ago so :scratch: I should have just followed my regular vet's advice and started the previcox last Wed.

I have given up on the crate as Oscar has always hated being confined. He doesn't even tolerate being behind a closed door. I set him up in a small space in my office that's just big enough for his bed and put a baby gate in the doorway so he can see out. He's much more relaxed this way and is resting comfortably.

:crossfin::crossfin::crossfin: that he will get through this.

Otto'sMom
07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Luckily for me, my back patient doggies were always crate happy. My heartworm ones, not so much. I've yet to crate a heartworm dog. I've been lucky with them knowing their limits and taking it easy on their own.

You know what's best for your boy:hug99: and will do nothing to harm him. It's difficult to watch them heal slowly, but they do. Otto and Austin are both around to testify for both treatments, surgery and predinsone .

areese
07-06-2010, 05:48 PM
GREAT!!!! It is true you can't mix the two...although they could have continued him on the steroid which is also an anti-inflamatory....
but every neuro seems to prefer one or the other...Laika's preferred the steroid and we had the same problem as my vet had given her previcox. But they did start the steroid with only one day wash-out but gave her a crap load of stomach protectors. speaking of which, did they advise any for Oscar? 1/2 a regular strength pepsid 1/2 hour before his meds would be good...you could ask if there's any reason NOT to give it to him. In my mind, it can't hurt and if it prevents stomach problems it's worth it. it's cheap and easy...
If you want me to make a cervical collar, just let me know!

Called the neurologist and got the go ahead to give Oscar previcox. Gave it to him a few hours ago and I can already see a difference. Apparently the reason she didn't prescribe it initially was because my regular vet gave him a steroid shot and you can't mix that with NSAIDs. However it was only 1 shot and out of his system days ago so :scratch: I should have just followed my regular vet's advice and started the previcox last Wed.

I have given up on the crate as Oscar has always hated being confined. He doesn't even tolerate being behind a closed door. I set him up in a small space in my office that's just big enough for his bed and put a baby gate in the doorway so he can see out. He's much more relaxed this way and is resting comfortably.

lotsadox
07-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I"m glad the previcox is working :cheer3::cheer3:

The office confinement sounds perfect. IMO (and contrary to what the crate Nazis say) it's much better to have them in a space they are happy in than in a crate where they are stressed and fighting it.

Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Lisa
07-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Glad he is already showing improvement. :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

Continued rayz :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Barb
07-06-2010, 06:15 PM
sounds like a plan :yay: Glad you are seeing a difference already ! Mine do much better in x-pens than crates, and you can always make an x-pen smaller to fit their requirements for healing. Sounds like he has a good set up !

LexieLuvr
07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Great update! More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

vferraro99
07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm so glad the vet gave the okay for him to have previcox. As you can see, it makes all the difference. Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for continued improvement.

Yolanda
07-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Hear Hear

Rileybugg
07-08-2010, 04:41 AM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigr ayz:

HokieMom
07-08-2010, 07:11 AM
We always feel better when our kids (2 and 4 legged) start showing improvement. Here's some rayz for continued healing! :bigrayz::bigrayz:

Rae
07-08-2010, 07:24 AM
big back :bigrayz: for Oscar and a honking :hug99: for you....

re: the confinement - when Duchie was having trouble, I put her in her stroller (dba crate on wheels) so she could be near me all the time and she was very content.

Different dogs, different ways and personalities, but 6- 8 weeks is a long time Patrice used a stroller for Bogart and it worked great for her too.

:bighug: again, and please keep us posted.

oceangirls
07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Good news! We'll be sending more rayz :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for continued healing!

lotsadox
07-08-2010, 12:26 PM
big back :bigrayz: for Oscar and a honking :hug99: for you....

re: the confinement - when Duchie was having trouble, I put her in her stroller (dba crate on wheels) so she could be near me all the time and she was very content.

Different dogs, different ways and personalities, but 6- 8 weeks is a long time Patrice used a stroller for Bogart and it worked great for her too.

:bighug: again, and please keep us posted.

Yes, I did. Bogart had to be right with me or he complained VERY LOUDLY about it. So I bought a stroller and just rolled him around the house with me. It made life much easier for me and less stressful for him. He would just go to sleep when I was doing stuff. As long as he could wake up and see me he was fine. I believe in doing what works without stressing the them out excessively.

doxrox
07-09-2010, 12:34 AM
The stroller is a great idea! I have one from when Charlie had his back troubles. Oscar sounds just like Bogart. As long as he's close to me he's fine. The area I blocked off for him in my office is working out well since I spend 90% of my life there. When I take a shower I carry him into the bathroom and he sleeps on the bathmat.

He is doing so much better, I'm going to have to be ultra vigilant and watch him like a hawk. I caught him rolling around like a worm in his bed this afternoon. Then when I carried him outside to use the bathroom he actually thought I was going to let him chase lizards :rolleyes: But I am thrilled he is doing so much better. :cheer3: He's got his happy face back so the meds are working. A few more weeks of rest and hopefully he'll be out of the woods. But it's kind of like waiting for the other shoe to drop because I know the problem areas of his back are there and can flare up at any time.

Thanks everyone for all the :bigrayz: they are working!!!

vferraro99
07-09-2010, 10:00 AM
That's what we're here for :hug99::hug99:. We all know how bad these back problems can be, and we can never be too careful. I'm so glad he's doing so much better. I knew that the right meds would take the pain away... the only problem is that it makes him want to do stuff he's not supposed to :scratch: