PDA

View Full Version : ?? getting pup to wear little booties

Kerie
12-07-2005, 11:19 PM
I think I read that it is best to start by just putting on 2 boots, and having your pup walk around a little to get the pup used to it. Is that true? If so, do you put on the front 2 or the back 2?

I got some at Pet Supplies Plus (not sure if that is just a local chain) for about $7.00. I want to use them when the snow melt salt/chemicals are heavy around here.

Fluffy
12-07-2005, 11:29 PM
I got Heidi a pair tonight as well. I am going with the back legs first, as they have more "traction" (I think!!) Keep me posted on your success, and I'll dothe same. SHe didn't seem to mind them when we tried them on in the store so we'll see how she does....

Tanya
12-07-2005, 11:38 PM
I put all 4 on and got out Peaches favorite toy to get her moving around. Otherwise she just stood frozen like a statue!

Jen
12-07-2005, 11:40 PM
I had luck with the front two last year. No luck so far this year but maybe when the first big storm hits...

JanUet
12-07-2005, 11:52 PM
I was told to start with the front 2 paws. Not that I have bought boots for my 2 yet!
Let them walk around the house with them first to get used to them and then put on the back ones.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

LUVMYGUNNER
12-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Becca we need pictures.....

Chrystyna
12-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Good luck. I could never get Piper to wear the ones I bought her last year. She absolutely flipped out like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum. She acted like she was having convulsions until I took them off.

Fluffy
12-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Becca we need pictures.....

*sigh* I know!! LOL I will get some tomorrow maybe? It'll be a while til I get them posted since I have to go the old fashioned route...i hope a get a digital camera from Santa!

Kerie
12-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Oh, I wish I could have just taken Oscar to the store to try them on......but I don't take him often because if he sees another dog, sometimes he marks, or he does a submissive peeing thing. Not sure which it is at this point!

Fluffy
12-08-2005, 01:12 AM
I was super leary about taking Heidi, however I hate having to go back and exchange things. Heidi is not known for her manners when it comes to other dogs but she surprised me today! She was SO GOOD only barked at a weimerauner (sp) and played with a little pomerainan. She did growl once at a dog that "snuck" up on her frmo behind, but I would have too!! Scared my poor baby! She bout near jumped outta her pretty coat and new boots!!!!!!! (of course I tried to get her to wear them out of the store, but she just stood there looking at me like "take them off or pick me up" I took them off)

Patt
12-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Don't have to worry about boots around here, good luck to all of you. We need pics please. :banana:

Jill
12-08-2005, 09:33 AM
I am going to be working the booties soon here. I tried them on Bailey last year, but he was tiny, and they were huge, so that didn't work too well. Miss Jen is sending us Tasha's old pair to use for Mr. Reese. He is the guy that freezes when something gets put on him. He refuses to move. I think I'll try Tanya's suggestion with the toys.

Fluffy
12-08-2005, 01:41 PM
practicing walking in her booties and it was the FUNIEST thing I have ever seen!! She was high stepping like she was in a marching band and just kept looking at me like "Why mudder, why are you doing this to me" :rofl: Buddy seemed a bit jealous so I can't wait to find him some nice booties! They didnt' have any in his size excpet pink...that certainly won't do!

LUVMYGUNNER
12-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Becca I saw a bloodhound walking in Petsmart with 4 shoes on and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen. I laughed so hart I told hubby I was gonna go outside until i got myself together.

Chrystyna
12-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Buddy seemed a bit jealous so I can't wait to find him some nice booties! They didnt' have any in his size excpet pink...that certainly won't do!

You can try PetEdge.com for little boy booties. I think they're baby blue and they make them from XXSmall and up.

Jen
12-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Miss Jen is sending us Tasha's old pair to use for Mr. Reese.

I mailed them Monday so hopefully you'll have them today or tomorrow. We're not that far apart!

Loren
12-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Chief is SO good about everything, nails clipped, coats, vet visits but BOOTS-out of the question..just refuses!

Fluffy
12-09-2005, 12:43 AM
You can try PetEdge.com for little boy booties. I think they're baby blue and they make them from XXSmall and up.

Thanks!! Amy is goin to give me the catalog at our meet up on Sunday. I might get Heiders another pair too, I have a feeling these ones won't dry too quickly!

Michelle
12-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Boy, I am not sure if even buying the boots were worth it for us. Heidi and Princess don't mind the boots and they will walk and run around with them. But the little buggers pull them off each others feet when they are wrestling around in the backyard.

I guess they would be good if we have to take them for walks to do their business, but since our backyard is fenced in I just open the door and let them go....

However, their favorite pastime in the backyard is running around chasing each other and wrestling with each other, and during that process they end up pulling the fleece boots off of each other and then running around the yard with the boots in their mouth.. Then,,, I have to go out in the yard and find the boots and pick them up.. Right now it is just to cold to be doing that.

I also think that with all the snow we got yesterday, a good 6 inches or more, If I put the boots on them, they will just get pulled off in the snow when they are trying to run, right now the snow is up to their bellies :shocked:

If we get anymore snow, they will be buried in the backyard.. I think I have to clear out the patio area tonight just in case more snow is on the way.

I really don't wan't to have to run out there and pull up a frozen weiner from a snow pile..:rotfl:

The girls just love the snow:shocked: :shocked:
I am really surprised by Princess, Heidi I figured would, but Princess hates to get her feet wet in the rain, so when she ran out there in the snow and
started rolling all over the place and burying her whole face in the snow I was surprised to say the least,,

Now, I can't get them back inside!!!!!

The boots seem to be a waste of money for me now, unless I start walking them, which I don't think I will do until the weather clears up...

Michelle