PDA

View Full Version : In case others are dealing w. resource guarding: a book

Kerie
03-11-2006, 09:04 PM
While searching Amazon, I came across a book called Mine by Jean Donaldson. The cover shows a dog "claiming" his bone. Just the cover reminds me so much of Oscar! Anyway, after I saw the book online, our trainer recommended the very same book! The same author has a book called Culture Clash that our trainer also likes. I hope this helps someone!

Oscar has not been doing anything aggressive lately at all. However, I have noticed that at times when he does not eat his food, if we later walk to toward the food bowl, he will suddenly run over and eat it or will at least run toward it and stand between us and the bowl.

Mama S.
03-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Hershey developed food agressions but weirdly only when the food was in his crate - if it was out in the open he was fine. We stopped crate feeding and the agression went away. Not tomake light of Oscar - some have other problems that need extra help! Here's :bigrayz: that he gets better very soon!
Sandi

Jen
03-13-2006, 12:18 PM
I have the book and it seems like good advice, but I didn't think there was quite enough on treat guarding. Tasha only guards bones and flossies, and its hard to find anything of higher value to trade her for. But for other types of resource guarding I think it will help people a lot!

Kerie
03-14-2006, 01:58 AM
I have the book and it seems like good advice, but I didn't think there was quite enough on treat guarding. Tasha only guards bones and flossies, and its hard to find anything of higher value to trade her for. But for other types of resource guarding I think it will help people a lot!

AH, well it sounds like I should at least look at the book, but I guess I should not expect much. Oscar is mostly a Kong Guarder! There is nothing of higher value to Oscar, so I have the same problem as Jen!!! For now, he doesn't get Kong. But the trainer will be back to see us on Saturday.

My mom's a librarian and trying to get me a library copy to read. But someone hasn't returned the book yet. I may just buy it when I have time to go to the bookstore.

In other Oscar news, I think he's starting to need Pepcid again. He throws up about once a week now and his breath is yucky.
He threw up a tiny, tiny amount today.

Jen
03-14-2006, 11:04 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for poor Oscar!! Not tummy troubles again!

Kerie, if you want to borrow my copy of the book, PM me, and I'd be happy to mail it to you!

Kerie
03-15-2006, 01:49 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for poor Oscar!! Not tummy troubles again!

Kerie, if you want to borrow my copy of the book, PM me, and I'd be happy to mail it to you!

Well, is it a book that I should now just give in and buy to possibly refer to later or should I just check out yours?

Jen
03-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Having read it once, I'm not sure I'll need to refer to it often, not a whole lot was new, at least for me. So if you want to check out my copy, please do!