PDA

View Full Version : Herman vomiting after drinking water

laura
03-12-2006, 12:33 PM
In the last two to three days, I have noticed that when Herman drinks water, he vomits about a minute later. I am going to take him to the vet tomorrow, but wondered if any of you have had this happen before?

Laura

Lisa
03-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Is it actual vomit like his breakfast comes up too? Or is it just the water that he drank and you get a little puddle of water and some goober? If it's the later, Pogo does that all the time, he just drinks too fast and his trachea can't handle it all at once, so it comes back (usually on the carpet). If we rub his throat as soon as he drank there is never a problem and it's hit or miss, some days he's fine others the water comes back up.

Definitely mention it to your vet, and let us know what he/she says.

lotsadox
03-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Does it just happen in the mornings when he drinks water or is it all the time? Amanda has problems with her stomach getting too empty and will vomit a little liquid in the mornings if I don't give her snack before bed.

I would definitely mention it to the vet. It's probably nothing important, but it never hurts to ask.

oceangirls
03-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Lisa and Patrice asked good questions. My Cassie always coughs and hacks and spits after drinking water, and my last dachshund Tristan did the same thing. Angel never does. But if this is a new problem for Herman, I totally agree it is worth asking the vet. I'm guessing he hasn't had any changes to his routine - like drinking too much after hard exercise (or hotter weather where you live), or drinking from a raised bowl instead of flat on the floor, or adding a vitamin supplement to his water or anything?

Mama S.
03-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I have the same problem with some of my guys - they drink too fast and can't handle it. Let us know what the bet says - until them major :bigrayz: that nothing major is wrong!
Sandi

Patt
03-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Does he do this every time he drinks, is everything else normal, eating, going potty etc? If so, it does sound like he maybe he IS drinking his water too fast as the others suggested. To keep him hydrated you can let him lick ice cubes. Let us know what the vet says on Monday.

laura
03-13-2006, 12:49 AM
He has done both, he has vomited his breakfast and then vomitted just water...I had not thought about him drinking too fast...Hmmm. thank you all for your thoughts, I will let you know if the vet sheds any light on anything. this evening, he has not done it at all...

Laura

laura
03-13-2006, 07:31 PM
ok, vet thinks he just ate something he was allergic to or was upsetting his stomach. unfortunately, there are lots of gross things to get into at our place if you are not watching 24/7. for example...all of our dogs love to eat fresh goat poop...(just like kibbles in case you have never seen any). The labs practically follow the goat around his behind to catch any that may drop out. (fresh is best, you see)
Horse manure is another favorite. They also like horse's hooves from what the farrier cuts off...my point is not to gross anyone out, but to say there are plenty of gross things to eat around our place even though we have someone come everyday to clean the "farm" animals poop, horses and goats poop millions of times a day! (amazing) Vet said it usally does not harm them as it is just resonstituted hay, but too much of anything can upset a stomache.
(had to put Clark the lab in intesnive care exactly one year ago yesterday because he ate our wedding cake! Yes, the $600 cake with butter cream frosting and apricot filling! Almost killed him.

getting off topic here.

Just wanted to update you all!

Laura

What he DID say that caught my ear was that coughing and hacking after drinking water can be a sign of a heart murmur or oncoming heart condition. FYI.

Patt
03-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the update. Living on a ranch myself I know all the little goodies they can get into... never ending for sure. Guess you will have to have eyes in the back of your head to watch him and the others. :wow: that is something else about your wedding cake.:faint: I use to have a Bichon that had morning coughs and she had CHF. I hope Herman feels better soon, sending :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: his way.

Nancy
03-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the update Laura! Hope Herman is feeling better!

Mama S.
03-14-2006, 06:12 PM
how is Herman today??? Still tummy troubles??
Sandi

laura
03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Thank you for asking..he is much better. I am out of town with hubby and the Herman and Harold. We are at the Cypress Inn in Carmel. Hotel belongs to Doris Day and it is so dog friendly, you can take your dog with you into the lounge! So he has not been at home to "get into anything".

Laura