PDA

View Full Version : When did you start socializing your dog as a puppy?

prettybutterfly
03-12-2006, 07:50 PM
i'm really concerned because my vet told me i have to keep my dog away from dogs untill he is fully vaccinated . his 15 weeks now and got all his vaccines but he barly has seen other dogs. I have been told that the first 16 weeks are very vital for socializing and you can't miss out. anybody here waited that long and didn't have problems? Of course now i am going on walks everyday and his meeting tons of dogs. although he didn't get rabies untill today i started his walks at 14 weeks. he seems to be very wary. he was only friendly with one dog which he sniffed out. alot of dogs seem to be really psycho though lol.

a trainer told me that its especially important to socialize pups before 16 weeks with other puppies because they learn bite inhibition. he also said that after this vital period if they aren't exposed to things they will be afraid of it . I DON'T want my dog to be afraid of dogs and things. he is very well socialized with humans though and is very freindly with them.

i also wonder if it matters that my puppy was with his brothers and sisters before he was 9 weeks. he was with them all the time. i hope this helped his bite inhibtion with other dogs and won't bite them. he doesn't seem to be at all aggressive at all and very sweet with everybody.

P.S i'm new. i'm a huge daschie lover. :banana:

Lisa
03-12-2006, 08:08 PM
:welcome2: to the DLC,

I am not really sure about the answer to your question, so hopefully someone else will have more information on vaccines. But generally, I do listen to my vet but I ask very specific questions. Did he say why or what risk he though your puppy was in danger of being exposed to?

prettybutterfly
03-12-2006, 08:41 PM
because he will be afraid of anything not exposed before that period, and if his going to be afraid it will take longer for him to adjust to it.

Helen
03-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Welcome! It's great to have you here.

According to this site (http://www.dogtrainingadvice.com/)(which I found on Google..I don't really know anything about it), bite inhibition is learned at 4-7 weeks. Puppies should be left with their mothers at least until 8 weeks (that's usually the law), and 12 is even better.

Now that your pup is fully vaccinated, you could enroll him in a puppy class at a local pet store or training center. Those classes are mainly designed to socialize young dogs, and as a bonus you begin teaching them things they need to learn, such as sit, stay, come, etc.

It's great that you want to work hard on this. My Charlie came to us at 6 weeks (we didn't know any better and neither did his owners - he was an "accident"). We don't own any other dogs nor do we know anyone who does, and we didnt' know anything about socialization. So now that he's older and has had limited exposure to other dogs, I don't think he really understands dog cues...for instance if a dog growls at him to get away, he totally doesn't get it. Fortunately there are some dogs out there who are laid back and will put up with him. :)

Anyway, this is all JMO. I am in no way an expert. I'm sure others will have advice for you. I think you and your pup will be fine, though. Just keep exposing him to positive experiences like you are doing. I can't wait to hear more about him. We love pictures!!

Edit: Here is a site that I recommend; it also has a growth chart on it. http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/puppy_behavior_basics.html
They define the "fear" stage as 8-10 weeks.

prettybutterfly
03-12-2006, 08:57 PM
:) well i have seen plenty of dogs that weren't socialized become afraid of humans (other then their owner) i walked my dog the other day and some plenty of unsocialized dogs that weren't friendly. maybe they are just unfriendly because untrained or maybe that is just how they are i don't know. this street seems to be like a dog park and i see alot of dogs everytime. i go as far as stopping each one and ask if my dog can meet their dog. lol i feel a little weird asking strangers but i know it will benefit my dog. i also be very very outgoing so my dog know theres nothign to be afraid of.

so far, my dog knows sit and down. good on potty training (crate training, althought hate this option it works)

i will upload pictures asap. he is an adorable chocolate piabald. 15 weeks. :banana:

Courtney
03-12-2006, 09:05 PM
What most trainers recommend is that after your pup has his second set of shots, that you take him to socialize with friendly, healthy dogs that you know personally and in private homes/yards. Puppies really should not be in public parks or dog parks until they are fully vaccinated at 4 months old. Since he is almost that old, you can start taking him to dog parks, to doggie daycare and to obedience classes soon. Those are GREAT for socialization.

That said, yes dogs do go through "fear periods" and those will pass. The first few months of a dog's life are crucial for socialization, but socialization is something you have to do with the dog its entire life, not just as a puppy. I think the fact that you're aware of the need for it is a great start.

There are some great books on dog training I recommend:

"The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennell.
"Leader of the Pack" and "The Other End Of The Leash" by Patricia McConnell.

All are available on amazon.com.

prettybutterfly
03-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Hi. courtney. i was just concerned about him not being around too many dogs for the period of him not being fully vaccinated. i will keep socializing him in a postive enviroment from now on to the rest of his life. :)

Courtney
03-12-2006, 09:14 PM
He'll probably be OK. My dog only knew a few dogs before he was fully vaccinated, and now he loves all dogs and is very accepting of new ones in his house!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi I think he should be OK. My pups are gonna turn 6 mos. tomorrow. I socialized them daily since they were born here. They play everyday with each other & the parents. I also have a Chow that they play with.
It' s OK to let him meet other dogs that are already vaccinated. I haven' t taken my puppies to a park yet. But once in a while they do play peek-a-boo with the neighbor' s Dachshund!

JanUet
03-12-2006, 09:28 PM
We got Casey at 9 weeks old. We carried him everywhere with us. After he got all his vac's. We let him walk on the sidewalk with us.

Our vet informed us to keep him away from other dogs as well until he got all his vac's. We bought him pee pee pads so we didn't take him outside to elmininate. We lived in a condo, so that was fine with us.

He is now almost 2 yrs old and LOVES everybody!

jennie_c_d
03-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I always started immediately, with friends whose dogs I knew, who were vaccinated. I take my puppies everywhere for at least 6 months, and carry them til their shots are finished.

Patt
03-13-2006, 01:38 AM
Now that your pup is fully vaccinated, you could enroll him in a puppy class at a local pet store or training center. Those classes are mainly designed to socialize young dogs, and as a bonus you begin teaching them things they need to learn, such as sit, stay, come, etc.
ITA I think a puppy class would get him started on the right track. :)

:welcome2: to DLC, look forward to hearing more about your pupper. :banana:

Mama S.
03-13-2006, 11:55 AM
:welcome2: to the DLC! CAn't wait to see pictures! I am owned by an entire herd :rotfl: so they socialize amongst themselves! I take one or two at a time to petsmart, the park wherever and they do great! We had most of the herd at the Howl O Weenie picnic last October and they were superb!
SAndi

Jen
03-13-2006, 12:13 PM
:welcome2: :welcome2:

ITA, a puppy class would be an excellent idea!!

My Tasha is a rescue, we got her when she was 2 and she had NOT been socialized at all. And was abused. So she is afraid of strangers, especially men, unless they're elderly. And she has no clue about other dogs. Doesn't recognize body language, calming signals. So :appl: :appl: to you for trying to socialize your puppy properly. It is hard to do once they're grown--we have such a 'fraidy dog, and do a lot of training to work around that.

Bella's Mom
03-13-2006, 03:14 PM
I think a puppy training class would be great. It's a great way to socialize in a controlled environment.