PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Right now! Cracked toe nail

Tanya
03-12-2006, 10:36 PM
I was just playing ball with Peaches and noticed blood on the carpet. Her toenail on her back foot is cracked open and bleeding. What should I do??? :shocked:

Lisa
03-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Put pressure on it to try and stop the bleeding. I think you would need to bandage it too.

Goob
03-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Oh my... I don't know but I agree with Lis..... :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Lisa
03-12-2006, 10:40 PM
If she is still bleeding in 5 minutes bring her to an e-vet. I wouldn't put anything on it right now, if you have to bring her to the vet, you might cause more pain for her if the vet has to clean it out.

JanUet
03-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Oh-Oh!

Apply pressure --- bandage it. If the blood seeps thru---go to the vet! ASAP

Read post by Momma about Hershey's toe!
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=2927

Lisa
03-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Sorry, I was panicking looking for information....here are some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Miss Thing!!

Tanya
03-12-2006, 10:55 PM
We trimmed off the piece that was still hanging there and applied styptic powder. It has stopped bleeding, but it seems like its hurting her. Here is a picture of what it look like. The yellowish stuff in the picture is the styptic powder.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/pipsqueak21/toenail.jpg

Linus
03-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Poor Peaches!!!!! I don't know what to do, but here are lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: from Bailey and I!

jennie_c_d
03-12-2006, 10:58 PM
POOR PEACHES!!!!!

Emma broke one of hers off like that, when she was an itty puppy. The vet cut it off, and gave her pain meds and antibiotics.

Lisa
E-vet....good you took the picture. He /she is going to need to look at it and properly wrap it up, maybe give her a local shot for the pain.

More :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

JanUet
Okay! Doesn't look too bad! I would still take her to the vet tomorrow to get it checked out.
I thought the whole nail was split! Sorry for any misguidance or un necessary alarms! But, It is Peaches!!!!! I would still notify the vet!

** Note to self** Never eat a toasted peanut butter and banana sandwich while viewing Peaches' boo boo :yuck:

Lisa
03-12-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't know, I think it does look bad, you can see an additional crack right at the base and the injury is meaty. Not sure T...your call, I don't know how fast they are there, but their nail is so sensitive.

Too bad you can e-mail the e-vet and see if they think it's an emergency.

Tanya
03-12-2006, 11:12 PM
We just called and they recommended bring her in....so we are off!

Lisa
03-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Let us know how Miss Thing does! More :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for our little Flying Sausage.

LUVMYGUNNER
03-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Here are rays :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Peaches.

Courtney
03-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Ohhh many many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for our beautiful Peaches!

areese
03-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Oh poor peaches!!! here's rays for the flying sausge girl!!!!!!!!!!!!
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Tanya
03-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Ok, we're back from the E-vet. The vet tech looked at it and told us we could pay $92.50 for them to do exactly what we have already done, or we could just go home. :o :relieved:

Since it has stopped bleeding, the vet tech didn't seem to think it was a big deal. Even though it was a bit of a drive, at least someone else looked at it and it didn't cost any money. We'll call her regular vet in the morning and see what he recommends.

Guess what was the first thing Peaches did when we got home...she ran over to her bucket of balls like we were going to play some more! :faint: Now that she knows we aren't going to play ball, my job is to keep her AND Piper away from that foot. :pullhair:

Thanks for all of the :bigrayz: !

Linus
03-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Wow! I'm glad they didn't charge you and that Peaches is going to be ok! Sending more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: her way!

Patt
03-13-2006, 12:14 AM
ITA apply pressure to stop the bleeding, please do not put anything on it except the septic. You might try a little ice but I don't think she will go for it. I would wrap it and see your vet in the morning, do not feed Peaches in case the vet wants to anesthetize her.

However, if you can't stop the bleeding I would go to the Emergency clinic.

p.s. I missed your post and see everything has been taken care of, I'm glad the little princess is doing okay. Sending :rayz: :rayz:

oceangirls
03-13-2006, 12:14 AM
First Hershey and now Peaches!! :faint:

I am sorry I'm late on this; you did a great job and it was nice of the e-vet people to tell you that instead of throwing a bunch of charges on there :)

Rayz for your little girl:rayz: :bigrayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: and for Mommy and Daddy!!!

Lisa
03-13-2006, 07:09 AM
WOW that is an awesome e-vet! That is so cool they didn't charge you for the visit. Glad she is doing okay and it's nothing serious. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

lotsadox
03-13-2006, 10:04 AM
ITA great e-vet! :banana: :banana: Sending more recovery rayz for Miss Peaches! :hula1: :hula1:

Jen
03-13-2006, 10:26 AM
A very nice e-vet!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for miss Peaches and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for you--keeping Peaches from playing ball? :faint:

HotDogMama
03-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Wow, go to bed early and looked what I missed! Glad Peaches is okay, :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: lots of rays it stays that way!

Mama S.
03-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Sorry I wasn't on - I could have filled you in more on Mr man and his toe! Looks almost just like his - the only thing withis was that it was split all the way down - it had to be surgically removed. That and fix the webbing inbetween his toes. Duhh - guess it was toe time for the DLC bunch! Hershey did great other than too much bleeding and having to stay overnight to be watched. Then there was the lil case of cage rage that he had - him just wasn't a happy boy last week but now he's right as rain!
Sandi

Bella's Mom
03-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Hoping Peaches is doing okay now! :rayz: :rayz:

Michelle
03-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Tanya, I hope Peaches is getting better!!!!!
I just saw this post today, I was offline all weekend getting ready for visitors..

I'm sending big healing rays to Peaches. that looks like a nasty break in the nail.. I hope she is doing better!!!!

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-13-2006, 09:06 PM
OMGosh! Glad she is OK. I still am a bit freaked out over Hersey :shocked:
My Shadow broke his dew claw on Thanksgiving Day when he was a little fella, scared me too & I had him all day to make sure he didn' t bleed anymore.

JanUet
03-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Glad to read that the "Flying Sausage" is going to be A okay!
She can put her Flying cape back on! :rotfl: