PDA

View Full Version : Fear of storms

areese
03-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Owen is really really afraid of storms. Thunder and lightning. He's even a little afraid of rain, prob. cuz he associates that with thunder. We've had two bad nights cuz of thunderstorms. He can't lay still, pants and shakes. I try lettig him sleep right by me but he just can't stay still and gets on my head, then by me again, then gets off the bed. Last night I put him in a crate with my robe-he seemed ok but honestly I don't know cuz I was so tired by that time I fell asleep. I turned a fan on in the bedroom so you can't hear the thunder as much or the rain. He was glad to get out of the crate this morning. He hates the crate normally-really seems to have a fear of it but he got in last night no problem so maybe it isn't mean...I dunno. I've tried rescue remedy but it doesn't help him at all I don't think.
Any other ideas? I've heard I shouldn't make a big deal or fuss over him cuz that reinforces his fear but it's very sad when my little boy is shaking and scared...

Jen
03-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Yes, no fussing, no cooing. Tasha is sooo afraid of storms and fireworks, shakes for hours. At our last apt she'd hide in the windowless bathroom, it was her safe spot. We'd just let her be. Here's what it looked like:

http://i2.tinypic.com/rbccd2.jpg

At the new place, I hope she will also choose the windowless bathroom. We just need to get a nice fuzzy bathmat so she'll feel right at home. Her digging to china killed the last one, losing clumps of yarn, so we tossed it when we moved.

Lisa
03-13-2006, 01:03 PM
I have no advice, because I have the exact same situation with Pixel. I'll be watching this thread hoping someone has something we can use.

I am try to act as normal as possible and not baby him, but the squeaking noises and trembling freak me out when he is like that. Pixel's safe spot in the house seems to be under our bed, so if he goes under there, I have stopped trying to coax him out.

Poor baby Owen, he can come up here for a few days? Maybe? :please: He is such a sweetie, lots of :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: that the thunder stops soon. Also you might have issues on July 4th if your neighborhood shoots off a lot of fireworks.

Irminsul
03-13-2006, 01:06 PM
There are homeopathic remedies you could try. Do you have a holistic vet in your area?

areese
03-13-2006, 01:42 PM
There are homeopathic remedies you could try. Do you have a holistic vet in your area?
No, none out here.

lotsadox
03-13-2006, 02:16 PM
I've had a couple that were terribly afraid of storms. The only thing I ever found that helped was to crate them. I put a blanket over the top of the crate and turned the radio on. I would also put the crate in an area where they couldn't see the storm if possible. This didn't eliminate the fear and panting, but it did seem to diminish it. And had the added advantage that I could get some sleep without worrying about them destroying anything or keeping me awake with the pacing/panting/digging.

areese
03-13-2006, 03:15 PM
I've had a couple that were terribly afraid of storms. The only thing I ever found that helped was to crate them. I put a blanket over the top of the crate and turned the radio on. I would also put the crate in an area where they couldn't see the storm if possible. This didn't eliminate the fear and panting, but it did seem to diminish it. And had the added advantage that I could get some sleep without worrying about them destroying anything or keeping me awake with the pacing/panting/digging.
Covering the crate is a good idea...I think even the flashing of lightning contributes to it so then he couldn't see it....it is a solid plastic crate except the front so I could block the light easily. Although I would have to fight to get him in a crate during the day, last night he went right in so maybe he does feel safer in there. I just felt like I was abandoning him...

Irminsul
03-13-2006, 03:22 PM
I have a great book on homeopathic remedies at home. I'll look up what he says... If that's ok with you, of course.

Jen
03-13-2006, 03:29 PM
I'd like to know about remedies too Kat.

Its nearly storm season again here--tho we had one 10 days ago that was snow + lightning and thunder. Tasha was not amused!

areese
03-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I have a great book on homeopathic remedies at home. I'll look up what he says... If that's ok with you, of course.

I surely am interested, thank you :)

Mama S.
03-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Stinker my 2 ton tessie who moves slower than dead slugs is also terrified of storms. That big ape can be in your lap in 3 seconds flat when the thunder starts. Nobody else is bothered by it. We just ignore her, she calms down and everyone is fine.
Sandi

lotsadox
03-13-2006, 09:38 PM
I'd be interested in the homeopathic remedies also. Please post what you find.

Patt
03-14-2006, 02:51 AM
Keysha my Norwegian Elkhound, freaked out with the sound of thunder and lightening the only way to calm her was to give her Acepromazine. Now I have noticed that Trixie is starting to develop a fear of storms too of course not nearly as bad as Keysha. The best thing is to ignore them but I know that is hard to do. Here’s a link for more info and also one for an anxiety wrap that suppose to help calm them.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1654
Anxiety Wrap,
http://www.puplife.com/dogcaretips/anxietywraphelpsdogs.html

Irminsul
03-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Ok, here is what I found:

For dogs afraid of Fireworks and other loud noises that can be predicted (4th of July), give BORAX X3, 1 tablet, three times daily for two weeks before the event.

For fear of storms give one dose of PHOSPHORUS C200 BEFORE the event (as in: they predicted a storm tonight, give it in the afternoon).

I ususally get my remedies from 1800Homeopathy:

http://www.1-800homeopathy.com/products/details.html?productid=PHOS

http://www.1-800homeopathy.com/products/details.html?productid=BORX&search[type]=pname&search[query]=BORAX

You administer the tablets by grinding them up and then with a moist finger just wiping it into the dogs mouth (gums, tounge).

Clean hands without interfering perfumes etc.

My books are:
"Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dogs, small doses for small animals" by Don Hamilton

and (my favorite!)

"Homeopathic medicine for Dogs" by H.G. Wolff

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0722508093/sr=8-1/qid=1142356542/ref=sr_1_1/104-1747169-6139916?%5Fencoding=UTF8

We have been using his book for decades with good results.

I hope this helps!

Rae
03-14-2006, 01:26 PM
We have been using his book for decades with good results.

I hope this helps!

For those of you who may not know Katja well, the "we" she is likely referring to is her family. Her mom is a breeder of Salukis and dachies, and our Kat really really knows her stuff. She's also very modest, but I wanted everyone to know that her advice has been heavily researched for decades, so I would take it in a heartbeat for my own furkid.

so thanks, Kat, for the info. and just for being you! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

oceangirls
03-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Good information, Katja! I'm going to take a look at those sites.

My girls are not scared of thunderstorms, but Angel is nervous about fireworks. We are lucky though, she doesn't panic - just wanders around looking apprehensive and hides under the couch periodically. I had to REALLY work on my in-laws not to coddle her.

I had read that you should either ignore it or act like it (the storm or fireworks) is a fun thing, so sometimes if we have a really loud storm I will dance around and act happy just for extra insurance. I believe the dogs may very possibly think Mama is insane:krazy:

Good luck with Owen! I hope you find a remedy that will help him.:hearts: