PDA

View Full Version : Harness.....CHECK :)

HotDogMama
03-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Finally cussed the harness together!! Its a little big, but I'm still practicing!
I used the white thread so I could see where I messed up.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/JHerron1278/CopyofMOLLY321.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/JHerron1278/MOLLY318.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/JHerron1278/CopyofMOLLY317.jpg

jenfer
03-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Well done. :) Not bad at all. I like it.

Jen
03-14-2006, 02:21 PM
That's adorable!! Well done!

Mama S.
03-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Oh this is bad... I love it! I guess I"m goimg to have to get off my dead butt and try it. My biggest problem is material. I go to WalMart and stare at the yards and yards of material and don't have a clue what to buy!
Sandi

Rae
03-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Oh this is bad... I love it! I guess I"m goimg to have to get off my dead butt and try it. My biggest problem is material. I go to WalMart and stare at the yards and yards of material and don't have a clue what to buy!
Sandi

my biggest problem is I don't know how to sew... :scratch:

Bella's Mom
03-14-2006, 03:17 PM
What a cute harness and such a beautiful girl!! :angel7:

HotDogMama
03-14-2006, 03:24 PM
:thankyou: everybody! Sandi, I got that material at Wal-Mart, they also have blue, with bones. That is next for lil bear, I got the smiley faces because she has a collar to match, but I forgot to put it on duh:mad4:.... guess I will have to take another pic.... :rotfl:

Mama S.
03-14-2006, 03:29 PM
ok here come the questions. DO you double the material or is that just a single piece? Everything I come across eithe rlooks sooo thin or way too thick. THe yellow border is that that bias tape stuff? I want so bad to learn - even bought sewing for dummies! I can do straight lines, can cut out a pattern and do simple stuff but when it gets complicated - I get moving - in another direction!!
Sandi

Michelle
03-14-2006, 03:35 PM
OH, I Love it!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
It's just so pretty!!!
Good Job :appl: :appl: :appl:

lotsadox
03-14-2006, 03:40 PM
I think it looks great! :appl: :appl:

Sandi, you will have to have something to line it with for it to be sturdy. If you have any old jeans they'd work great. I went on a spree where I was making purses and sling bags and I lined them all with the DH's old jeans. They made great lining and I didn't have to go spend money for fabric to line them with. He was going to throw them out so it was free! :cheer2: :cheer2:

quavec
03-14-2006, 03:45 PM
All you sewers are making me feel so inadequate.....:( I sewed an apron on Home Ec class....I got a C :sad1: cuz the stitching wasn't ...... something was wrong with it.

I am buying my daughter a sewing maching for her birthday next month. It's a Hello Kitty one at Target. I just pray she doesn't ask me to make something on it....:shocked: I'm hoping she will teach ME!

LUVMYGUNNER
03-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Sandi if your gonna use it as a harness...YES you should double it. I use pellon in between the layers also for added security.
HotDogMama--you don't need that small buckle near the strapping/D-Ring, unless you left it for looks?? You did GREAT ON YOUR FIRST TRY. I will post Petunia's in a day or so, made her a shamrock one and Gunner will get a bowtie.

Nancy
03-14-2006, 04:18 PM
ooooh, i love it!!

i'd like to make one, where did you find the pattern?

HotDogMama
03-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Irma, I left the buckle on there because I wasn't sure how to get it off without messing it up!! LOL :rotfl: :rotfl: Nancy, I traced around a coat that my sister has for her dog, and kinda measured it out to fit her. Probaly not the way expierenced sewers do it, but I just kept shaving it down until I thought it was okay. Pretty time consuming lol

Dijon04
03-14-2006, 04:59 PM
totally cute....

umm i noticed alot of people make or put harnesses on their weiners *L* i see that they are cute and stylish but is there another benefit? like for behavior or their backs or something?

Lisa
03-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Yes Angela, a harness is usually recommended over a collar (depending what you are doing) for doxie's, it takes the pressure off their neck and better distributes it through their body.

The Hug-a-Dox (http://www.dachshund.org/gifts_hugadox.html) is a fantastic product if you're not into sewing (like myself - zero talent!)...both my boys have one of these and they are really great.

Wonderful job on Molly's harness! I am very impressed :cheer2: :appl: :cheer2: :appl: :cheer2:

areese
03-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Great job!!!! I Love the colors!!!! Love the dog too :) It looks really good!

Anatresia
03-14-2006, 06:10 PM
That is so cute- and you have a nice model, too!

LUVMYGUNNER
03-14-2006, 06:15 PM
HotDogMama--you take the collar completely apart (with a scissor) you will have some waste. You also have to sew the strapping on b-e-f-o-r-e you sew the bias tape on, it should be cover by the bias tape, you also need to singe each end, otherwise after a few washings it will ravel and fall apart, you only use about 5-6 inches of the strapping, sew it 2/3 on, the put on the d-ring and sew the rest on--after that your bias tape. When I take pictures of Petunia's I will try to post some close ups so you can get a better idea.

LUVMYGUNNER
03-14-2006, 06:26 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/IRMTRUDWHITE/100_0201.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/IRMTRUDWHITE/100_0106.jpg
This is one of Chapo's.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/IRMTRUDWHITE/100_0111.jpg
One of Petunia's.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/IRMTRUDWHITE/100_0179.jpg
This is wittle Sohies that she can't wear anymore. :)

HAVE FUN AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

JanUet
03-14-2006, 06:28 PM
I am NO expert on harness' and still have to finsih Sophie's coat (Yes, it ahs been started)
I think the harness is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Great Job Molly!

:lol: wait until MY attempt :lol:

I am in the same boat as Momma. I will need to buy the book sewing for Dummies.

Irma,
Do you reccommend any other books to help us other twits learn to sew?? :rotfl:

LUVMYGUNNER
03-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Janet--YOU have the harness I made Sophie, why don't you use it as a pattern? Walmart-has a Beginners Sewing Book that I think is great-but I have sewed for 40 years:scratch: So I see things that should be fixed---- even when pictures are posted and everything is easier for me. The sewing book for Dummmies is also a good book. I try to think on your guys level--what I asked when I first learned to sew.... I think you can also get dvd's that teach sewing. I think HotDogMama is realy doing great. I get very excited when I see other people produce something nice. Now she needs to learn to crochet and knit. LOL:rotfl:

HotDogMama
03-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Knitting..... been there done that, failed horribly!! I even got the one for kids, and still couldn't do it :rotfl: I think I get it now with the strapping, Irma, thanks so much for the extra pics, they will be a really big help! I'm gonna try a UofK one next, I will make you proud!! :rofl1:

Patt
03-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Cute harness, you did a great job! :appl:

LUVMYGUNNER
03-15-2006, 01:54 AM
When you sew on the strapping make sure you sew each side and then before you put the d-ring in-sew across, then put in the d-ring, then sew across again for the d-ring and down each side each side. You should have a real secure harness then. Hope this helps and makes sense to you. :)

squirrel818
03-15-2006, 02:57 PM
That looks so nice! I think your're doing a great job! I am a complete sewing spaz. Actually anything that has to do with hand eye cordination I leave to the experts. I've tried but *sigh* failed! I have always loved Irmas harnesses. I think they are so much prettier than what you can buy in syores or online. Can I commision 2 for my chubby wieners!

Fluffy
03-15-2006, 05:46 PM
That looks great Jennifer!!! Its just beautiful, and what a gorgeous model!! I wish I had the PATIENCE to do something like that!! I'd mess up once, get mad, throw a :hissy: and that'd be that. That's what the scarf I was making ended up...now its just a two foot long piece of junk that sits in my closet "waiting" for me to come back to it :lol: Great job!! Keep up the good work!

bumpergirl
03-19-2006, 04:25 PM
My hat is off to all of you that make your own harnesses and coats. I couldn't sew something to save my life! :rotfl:

BeckyP
03-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Hmmm. Jeans for a liner. I like that idea. I like to be able to recycle and save $s on fabric. Now you've got me thinking of making a jeans harness. Thanks for the idea.

elica
03-23-2006, 05:12 PM
looks good on her, i think you did a good job!