PDA

View Full Version : WEll, how old is Daisy??

Jacqueline
03-15-2006, 03:35 PM
We just got back from the vet, and she and Taffy are both parasite free....the pills got rid of the ones Daisy had, and Taffy never got them. But I had him look at Daisy because I saw that she had mild conjunctivitis in her right eye (I was a paraoptometric for years), and he checked her teeth, too. He says she has tarter and gingervitis, and thinks she must be at least two years old by her teeth, because he didn't feel they could get that way in 8 months. I suspect her previous owners did not take that good of care of her, tho. Just some of the things she does, and the way she acts. Her owners said she was 8 months old.

Okay.....I called the vet who is listed as having her as a patient before, and they are trying to figure out which dog she could be. She was supposed to be spayed by him. If all else fails.....I will drive her over there. I wonder if there is a way to tell if she was spayed without being surprised by finding out that she wasn't. They are looking into a litter of doxies that were described as "party colored" and she if she could have been one of them.

Either way, there is no way I am giving her up, but I really would like to know how old she is, since I am feeding her puppy kibble. She got her teeth brushed as soon as we got home, and will be getting them done every day now. She was NOT thrilled,...apparently a new experience for her, lol...but she was pretty good about it. Taffy just shrugged. I guess I had beter start saving up for a dental...yikes!

Why would people giving up a dog lie? She's such a sweetie that being a little older wouldn't have made a difference. If she is 2, then she should be full grown, which is nice. I hope I can find out for sure.

Courtney
03-15-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't know why, but if they gave up a dog, they probably don't really care, they just want to get rid of it. It's also possible someone lied to them about her age? Unless they had her from a puppy. How long have you had her and what sort of nutrition has she had in her life? It's possible for even very young dogs to have teeth issues if they have not always had good nutrition.

Jacqueline
03-15-2006, 04:10 PM
I don't know why, but if they gave up a dog, they probably don't really care, they just want to get rid of it. It's also possible someone lied to them about her age? Unless they had her from a puppy. How long have you had her and what sort of nutrition has she had in her life? It's possible for even very young dogs to have teeth issues if they have not always had good nutrition.

I got out her paperwork I received when I got her, and found her original vet, and called them. Her shots were verified with this vet, and he is up in North Ft. Myers. I am thinking, all else fails....dh can watch Taffy and Daisy and I will ride up there and visit him. Surely they will remember her since the shots were just administered in Jan on the 27th. And I won't be surprised if they tell me her name was really Sophie, lol....since I have called her that a number of times.

They got her from a breeder, according to the paperwork, and kept her for 6 months. I've had her since 2/27, and she's been getting kibble and canned. I just got off the phone with the lady from the HS, and she said that if Daisy ate nothing but canned or table scraps, she could have lots of tarter. I rather suspect this might be the case. They left her outside when they weren't home....during summer months in Florida....hard to believe!!!!....and she reacts when she hears anyone yell. I had mentioned that to hubby on Monday, when I had to go to jury duty....to be sure not to yell, because I thought it scared her....and he said someone had yelled something while they were outside, and she ran over and jumped in his lap.

She's a lot like Taffy was when we first got her....doesn't really know how to play, but she is learning. She's a little rough with Taffy, and we have to be careful, but we watch them closely. I don't think she has realized she is bigger yet. They kiss each other, and snuggle on the couch. She needs to learn to play with toys more. She is really affectionate, and wants to kiss on your face and neck. This girl really wants to be loved....and I think she didn't get enough before.

I'm going to start brushing her teeth at least once a day, cut back on her canned food, and see if I can't find someone to supply me with marrow bones. I haven't had any luck so far....all the stores are bringing in packaged meat or smoked bones. The vet did not recommend a dental, but did say to start brushing regularly to take care of it.

Jen
03-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Sounds like a good plan for feeding, brushing and bones. Weird that you have such spotty info on her history....but it sounds like she was abused some. Well, heck, being left outside in FL in the summer is abuse in my book, it gets hot and there are lots of afternoon T-storms. At least Daisy found you and you can teach her what being a loved, well-cared for dog is all about! :hearts:

Have you tried this store in Naples?

https://www.jimmypsbutchershop.com/default.asp

You could call and see if they have marrow bones. I have found them in grocery stores here, labelled as soup bones.

lotsadox
03-15-2006, 04:35 PM
I would definitely contact the original vet and see what you can find out. I'm so glad that she's with you now. :hearts:

Lisa
03-15-2006, 06:26 PM
WOW, no advice for you but I hope you find out a little more of her history and I just wanted to say, I am so happy she is with you now. :bighug:

I also agree more bones, brushing teeth and kibble with help a lot.

Frzframe
03-16-2006, 03:06 PM
the only for sure way to know is to open her up. :( There is an estrogen test but it's not very reliable. I just went through this with Ruby Roo since she had a scar we thought maybe just maybe is was a spay scar but nope it was just a c-section scar so it's a good thing we went ahead and with the surgery.

LUVMYGUNNER
03-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Well she sure has a good home now.

Jacqueline
03-17-2006, 01:22 AM
I looked over the paperwork I got from the HS some more, then gave them a call. She got her shots in January this year, and they were verified by them as being given by the vet listed in the paperwork. So...I figure if all else fails, I can put her in the carrier and the two of us can go visit them and see if they remember her. It's only been a couple of months.

The HS seems to believe she really is only about 8 months old, but that she may have just had poor nutrition, ....fed soft foods all the time. She was "skittish" when they got her. She was supposed to be used to adults, senior adults, children over 8, etc.

Well....now she's used to being spoiled, eating kibble with match stick carrots mixed in, has finally started chewing her bones instead of hiding them, sleeping on the couch, is starting to play with toys,.....and has learned how to get her teeth brushed. She loves waking her daddy up in the morning, and climbing in bed with him to give him kisses.

I know she will be fine....because she is with me now.

Patt
03-17-2006, 02:30 AM
Sometimes guessing age is a really hard thing to do and you will probably never know exactly. Thank you for adopting this beautiful little lady, she has many long years ahead of her in your care. :hearts:

Jacqueline
03-17-2006, 10:21 AM
My biggest concern at this point is whether or not she really was spayed. They took the information, and according to them, either called the vet or had papers with them.

I got a call from the vet who they have listed on the papers, and they just don't have anything on her. They did say they may have given the wrong vet, that they are constantly confused with another doctor....gave me his name.

I guess time will tell, of course, whether she was or not. If not, she will be, for sure. And since I not only do not let her outside alone, or even off the leash....because of all the big dogs....there won't be any incidents.

I know that the HS is really picky about shots, so I know they had to have something to show that they were given. I will check out this other vet's name.....they are very similar. The people I called have really gone above and beyond trying to help with her records. I appreciate that.