PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness-- Any Experience with it?

Auggie's Mom
03-15-2006, 10:26 PM
I just bought a Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness for the Notorious A.U.G. (aka Auggie). It's a harness with a martingale loop and leash attachment at the breastbone of the dog. It's supposed to discourage pulling. We had a heck of a time fitting it, and then when we went for a walk, Auggie's movement seemed kind of impaired. He was, well, staggering around.

Have you ever used this harness? Was it successful? If not, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Courtney
03-15-2006, 11:18 PM
I haven't used it, but I have heard of it. I know someone who may know more about it - I will ask her and let you know!

Jill
03-16-2006, 09:27 AM
I saw someone trying it out at the pet store that I go to. It seemed to really help with her dog, a german pointer. I personally haven't used it.

Mama S.
03-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Nope, no experience here but will be curious to see who has! I have pullers who want to see the world 10 minutes ago!
Sandi

Jen
03-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Never used one myself, hope someone here has. Auggie has been pulling a lot eh? Trying to get to all of those yummy leftovers on the street?

jennie_c_d
03-16-2006, 04:57 PM
I've not used one on Teenie, but I've walked friends' dogs, and clients' dogs on them. They seem to work well, but don't seem to fit deep chested dogs well. I have no idea why he's staggering, LOL. That sounds like it'd make for an interesting walk.

Kerie
03-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Oscar's new trainer encouraged us to try it. He does not want us to even put it on Oscar until Oscar calmly allows us to put it on him. Oscar gets rewarded for being calm. He wants us to practice putting it over his nose, then his neck. Sometimes Oscar is fine with it and we put it right on. Then the trainer wants us to walk as much as we can with it, but if it becomes a chore, switch back to regular collar or harness so that we can at least get our walk in. My husband has only made it to the end of the driveway before Oscar started to roll around to try to remove it. We were also told to just let him wear it inside the house to get used to it. The trainer told us to take baby steps to get adjusted to the Gentle Leader. Our trainer uses it all the time but has one dog that was never able to adjust to it and keeps itching herself in the face when they put it on.

jennie_c_d
03-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Kerie, the Easy Walk is a body harness. It's different from the regular Gentle Leader:)

Kerie
04-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Kerie, the Easy Walk is a body harness. It's different from the regular Gentle Leader:)

Oh, ok, I didn't realize that the original question was about something different than the harness that we are currently trying. I read the question too quickly. I think that what we have is a regular Gentle Leader. That's all it says in the brochure that came with it. What does Easy Walk look like? Now I want to know more about it.

Patt
04-09-2006, 04:16 AM
What does Easy Walk look like? Now I want to know more about it. I've never used one but this is what it looks like.

http://www.petexpertise.com/item--Easy-Walk-No-Pull-Harness--easy_walk_harness.html

Auggie's Mom
04-09-2006, 08:44 AM
After trying three different sizes, this harness did not work for Auggie and I. He's a 20 pound standard with a very broad chest, and the harness just didn't fit across his chest properly. He stumbled around, nearly crippled, when we tried to walk with it!

I've seen other breeds wear it with success, but I've never seen another doxie with one on.

jennie_c_d
04-09-2006, 06:32 PM
It didn't work on my friend's German Shepherds, either. I've heard that it doesn't fit deep chested dogs well. That's too bad, b/c it's such a useful tool.

Irminsul
04-10-2006, 11:11 AM
I got some for my two. Rieke wears hers and it works great. No more pulling! Of course, if there is a squirrel or bunny we kind of do a funny dance now..

Tinki will NOT walk with hers and decided that she will walk nicely on just a collar, thank you :)