PDA

View Full Version : mikey d's trip to the vet

Dijon04
03-16-2006, 09:15 AM
so yesterday i got home from work and walked him for a few minutes but all he wanted was to get in the car....he loves to go driving..until he realizes we are going to the vet.....

so i get there and walk him around the grounds for a while and try and calm him down....his poor little tail was sunk so low.....finally we just had to go inside.....sat down and waited for the people in front of us to finish all the while mikey kept pawing at the door and trying to escape....

he got weighed and my baby needs to lose 5 lbs...he's 23.....he started getting chubby and lethargic after being neutered....

when the dr. came in we put his muzzle on him....my poor baby his chart says he bites...he let me put it on without much of a fuss and the assistant was really good with him...he didnt thrash at her or anything....i think me being calm and not nervous helped him alot...he got his shots and the vet said for the plane ride to try giving him 25 mg of benadryl and take him for a car ride to see how he reacts....so we'll see....

okay so when the muzzle came off he didnt lunge for anyone or try and bite...so i was extra proud....

when we got home we walked a bit and i told him we had to go to the end of the block (i'm hoping i'm not the only one who talks to my dog like he's human and thinks he understands me) well anywho he was being defiant and didnt want to.....i was pulling one way...him another....then suddenly he broke free and was taking off back towards home....he was standing about 10 feet in front of me and i was saying michael come here this instant...he'd freeze let me take a few steps towards him and then take off again ...finally i held the collar/leash out and he ran up to it and stuck his head in....when i told him you win we are going home.....

mikey d 1...mommy 0....

Mama S.
03-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Well I guess it is good news bad news! I'm glad you got the leash back on him, I've had similiar issues when the buckle on the harness gave and fat boy went flying after a dog not on a leash.Arrggg! Hopefully, he'll get used to walking and not do the 4 foot plant on you!
:appl: on him being a good boy at the woom of doom!! Baby steps towards victory!
Sandi

Alex's Mom
03-16-2006, 09:49 AM
:woohoo: What a good boy you are, Mikey D!!! Little steps, I've learned, come to mean a lot!! (Ask me about Alex and obedience and not chomping people some time...:rotfl: ). It's kind of scary when they take off like that! Alex will come back (she's too chicken to get far from Mom) but Maxe would be GONE :seeya: and for someone with such little legs, man!! could she move!! (especially since her momma's built for stability, not speed...:rolleyes: )

Lisa
03-16-2006, 10:15 AM
I totally agree, small steps are HUGE and good for him for not taking off, mine would have been gone. And yes, I totally talk to mine like they understand my every word. And what is so funny, most of the time they do.

Jen
03-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Small steps, and let me recommend the hug-a-dox harness. Tasha has never gotten out of hers.

Sorry Mikey will be on a diet, I know a lot of board members have good tips! Tasha too gets muzzled at the vet, she's a bit fear aggressive and growled one, but as far as I know has never bitten.

lotsadox
03-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Poor Mikey D! Going to the vet is so traumatic, but it sounds like he's making progress. :banana: Miller had to be muzzled at first to go to the vet, but now he's okay. They can even take his blood without the muzzle on. If you continue to stay calm, Mikey will probably continue to progress, too.

ITA with Jen. Hug-a-Dox is the way to go. Mine have never gotten out of theirs. :cheer2:

Dijon04
03-16-2006, 12:54 PM
yes i'll def need to invest in a hug a dox.....but i have to measure him first i think? maybe i should wait and see if he can lose a few? or would his chest probably stay the same right? i'm such a confused mommy

okay alex's mom....asking *L*.....obedience class and not biting didnt go to well for mikey d...i believe the trainer got 13 stitches

Jen
03-16-2006, 01:19 PM
He bit the trainer? :faint: That must have been a trying day!!

The hug-a-dox close with velcro so a little weight gain or loss is not a problem, they're still adjustable. Tasha is a little heavier in the winter than in summer and we use the same harnesses.

Bella's Mom
03-16-2006, 02:53 PM
All in all it sounds like a very successful vet trip! Mikey D. is doing good! :banana:

Dijon04
03-16-2006, 03:21 PM
yup he bit her....i told him ahead of time that he was agressive and didnt much like people and if they could give him some special attention after class to try and solve the problem...

yeah well she's pulling at his leash to get him to come to her and putting treats by her lap (we were all sitting on the floor)....finally when he got close enough to her...she kept putting the treats closer and closer...she grabbed his collar (like gotcha style) and he freaked and like a rattlesnake turned and bit the h-e-double hockey sticks out of her hand

not the brightest lightbulb

btw this was at petsmart...luckily i didnt get sued and he got to finish the class but all in all it was pretty useless

Jacqueline
03-17-2006, 12:41 AM
I am seriously thinking about getting a muzzle for Taffy for trips to the vet....not because she bites, but because she can't keep her mouth shut. She wants to take on all comers, especially the big ones.....and I always seem to be there the same day as the pitbulls, rottweilers....you get the idea.

I would be a lot happier if she was just muf muf mufing instead of barking the place down.

Patt
03-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Very few dogs like going to the Vets. I always put a muzzle on Trixie to get her nails trimmed, better safe then sorry. Five pounds is a lot to lose and possibly you should wait on the harness. You might ask the Hug-a-Dox people how much of adjustment is in their harnesses.

Alex's Mom
03-17-2006, 07:16 AM
okay alex's mom....asking *L*.....obedience class and not biting didnt go to well for mikey d...i believe the trainer got 13 stitches

Well, the woman was obviously an idiot...who grabs a dog after being TOLD that it's aggressive?!? :scratch: And she advertises herself as a trainer??? I tried the general open type class with Alex first (we don't have Petsmart here, and this was, after all 12 years ago...), and that was not a happy choice! She's a fear biter and her poor little brain was just frazzled...after a few classes (like about 8) when it was becoming obvious that not only was she NOT becoming socialized but was actually reacting very badly about going (I had to drag her out of the car when we got to the place where classes were being held...a school gym full of barking dogs, very noisy and echoey), I took her out of the situation and found a trainer who dealt with problem dogs. The first guy I took her to I mentioned in another thread somewhere on here...he was a big believer in "air time"...hanging the dog by the collar when it did something wrong. She bit him...totally fear!!! He was an aggressive :bleep: I felt like biting him at times! :rotfl: He started getting really rough with her at which point I removed us from THAT situation! However, unfortunately all of these experiences were making her worse, not better. My fault, I should have done in the first place what I eventually ended up doing (my only excuse was that Maxe was such a laid back dog I had NO experience with these kinds of problems), which was to find a trainer who was willing to work with her one on one, who was VERY patient, and gentle but assertive. By this time she'd bite as soon as look at a stranger who came near her, but he suggested putting a soft muzzle on her until she learned other coping methods when we were out in public and for training sessions. It worked! And I didn't need the muzzle for very long...she learned to rely on my cues when in an uncertain situation, looking to me for direction instead of blanking me out and reacting in a panic. With her we did lots of confidence building excercises, and LOTS of positive reinforcement, first in my house, then in his training area at his farm, then in a variety of public places. Unfortunately, we were never able to get past her dog aggression, but she's fine with people now (and has been for a number of years), although I never trust her completely, because she still has her moments, especially if we're in a situation where I'm feeling a bit tense. My vet says she channels me more than most dogs do their owners, but that's in part because we spend so much time alone together. It's a lot of work and time to sort out these kinds of problems, but you sure do get a good feeling in the end. It's why I ended up doing rescue work...cuz I KNOW that if most other people (although not the people on this board!!!:angel7: s all!) had owned her with her problems, she would have either been euthanized or dumped a long time ago. She's been my problem child, all right, but she's also my heart and soul. She's taught me patience, no small feat, believe me!!!:lol:

Dijon04
03-17-2006, 09:14 AM
wow that trainer sounds really mean..."air time" poor baby.......

yeah the petsmart trainer was a moron...she basically left us alone after that...but i did go to a couple of private sessions with the supervisor/manager she was a bit better but not much....

i think the muzzle idea is a good one....maybe i'll try that?

speaking of dog aggression...mikey has always been okay with other dogs...mostly indifferent....but yesterday on our really short walk he encountered a puppy (ok so the dog was about his size but still a puppy) and my dog snapped at the poor little thing...men...sheesh

Jen
03-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Tasha really doesn't like puppies either--too much energy and no manners!