View Full Version : Parvo information

Frzframe
03-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Okay as some of you may know the some of the Blue Heeler puppies that I fostered for my shelter came down with parvo. Well I didn't realize that even though there is a parvo vaccine that dogs even though they've gotten it can come down with parvo. The shot helps reduce the chances and the severity of the parvo if they do get it.

Just wanted to pass the info along because heck I thought once my dogs had the shot they were safe from it but that's not the case. :(

areese
03-16-2006, 04:55 PM
you know...I was wondering that. I'm thinking I know those puppies got their shots...why did they get parvo? I've wondered it before when I've heard of puppies getting it in shelters...cuz you KNOW they vaccinate...
So thanks for passing that along!

Jen
03-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Wow, I had no idea vaccinated dogs could still get it. Thanks for the info!!

jennie_c_d
03-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Emma got parvo after she'd gotten the shot. Unfortunately, Emma's immune system is crap, and always has been. She probably still isn't immune. I should titer her and see....

Anyhow, parvo is a virus, and viruses morph. You know how they have to make new flu vaccines every so often? It's the nature of the virus to change. There's also probably more than one strain of parvo.....

Parvo is AWFUL! It sticks around for YEARS.

AgileOllie
03-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Typically they are not immune to the disease until they get their second booster, and even then, it's not impossible to get it. It seems the older the puppy is, and the fact that they've had BOTH sets of vaccinations, the better the odds are that they won't contract it.

Tonya

Frzframe
03-16-2006, 05:24 PM
I didn't have a clue either and so last night while getting my hair done we were talking about parvo. The lady who does my hair works for my vet and is real good friends with the owner of the practice so she called him for information on the subject. It's good to have friends who have friends that they can call in the middle of the night for information like that. :)

Michelle
03-16-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm totally confused, then what good is getting the dog the vaccine if it doesn't work and the dog can still contract Parvo???, This is very scary!!!
It should not be called a vaccine if the dog can still be infected and come down with Parvo after receiving a so called "vaccine" for it..

This seem outrageous,, To me Parvo seems like Doggie Ebola virus..

Then does this mean the vaccines for Parvo are totally useless......
Oh Boy,:scratch: :scratch:

Alex's Mom
03-16-2006, 06:05 PM
I suspect it's similar to humans still being able to come down with the flu after getting a flu shot if they're in a particularly vulnerable state. However, the vaccine protects against it being as bad as it could be, and if a dog is strong andhealthy, it should protect against it completely. Also, just as in humans, in dogs those most vulnerable are the very young, the very old, and those in bad shape. And I KNOW that none of our puppers are in bad shape!!!!!:)

Michelle
03-16-2006, 06:15 PM
I suspect it's similar to humans still being able to come down with the flu after getting a flu shot if they're in a particularly vulnerable state. However, the vaccine protects against it being as bad as it could be, and if a dog is strong andhealthy, it should protect against it completely. Also, just as in humans, in dogs those most vulnerable are the very young, the very old, and those in bad shape. And I KNOW that none of our puppers are in bad shape!!!!!:)

Ok, that makes some sense, did not think of it that way.. Parvo is still so scary though!!!

Frzframe
03-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Yes that's correct they can still get it but it won't be a full blown case of it. It is good to know though in case you dog isn't well you'll need to be extra careful with taking it out in public. Now I understand why it's important to keep baby pups from going many places even after they get their shots.

Mama S.
03-16-2006, 07:09 PM
THat just sucks. I remember when Oscar had it years ago I was a bleach fiend - spraying down everything including the backyard! THat stuff is NASTYYY.
Sandi

Helen
03-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I had no idea. :( Poor puppies.

alfina
03-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Yes, parvo can be nasty. A friend of mine lost 2 puppies to parvo. Now are never even steps in the house with her shoes on. You can even bring it on you clothes.

Patt
03-17-2006, 02:39 AM
Unfortunately, there are no vaccines on the market human or pet that has a 100% guarantee that you won't get the disease. :shocked: