PDA

View Full Version : Pred / crate rest question

Lisa
12-19-2010, 12:08 AM
I know I have to get back onto Dodger's list, but for anyone who has done conventional therapy I have a couple of questions.

After Pogo's surgery we had to start him on mobility exercises right away. Bicycle, splits etc.

From my understanding, Pixel needs lots of time to heal. Period. Is there any risk of muscle atrophy?

Any thought or suggestions on keeping Pixel happy in his crate?

Kasianni
12-19-2010, 12:57 AM
I know nothing about the risk of atrophy but I do know that if you fill a kong with canned food that has been frozen overnight it can keep a dog busy for hours. (In your case maybe use the food you make for them) I really hope he is feeling better soon. :bigrayz:

lotsadox
12-19-2010, 01:01 AM
I don't think that a few weeks is a problem as far as muscular atrophy. Bogart was on crate rest for 8 weeks with very little activity. Mostly just going out to potty and occasionally sitting on the floor with me. He did just fine. He didn't lose that much muscle tone and it seemed to come back as soon as he started being able to move around again.

I sucked as keeping him occupied in the crate, thus the stroller. Bogart was older and pretty complacent as long as he could see me. A kong or bone would probably help Pixel not get as bored and having the crate in an area where he can see what's going on would help. Other than that, I don't really know. The dogs I've had on crate rest have all been older and not as active so it was easier.

areese
12-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Don't even worry about muscle atrophy. There could be some, but as soon as he is up and around he will get it back quickly. dogs are amazing :)
Better a little of that then risking rupturing a disc. and if it IS just soft tissue, that's really the only way to let that heal too.
Hmm...Laika was super good in the crate (huge surprise) but of course she had heavy duty meds and had had surgery....
but I crated her for quite some time after. Used frozen peanut butter bones (swiped the inside of those thick hollow bones with peanut butter and froze them) and a kong. You could use your homemade food. You prob. don't want to give him anything he's really gonna rip and and chew like a raw bone. depends if he's a real aggressive chewer or not.
Laika also was in the crate up on a cart so I could wheel her into the room we were all in and next to my bed at night. She was happier that way and seemed to think she was the queen of all, way up there.
The tramadol should keep him a bit sedated...at least it did with Laika.
If he is really bad you could ask your vet if he can have benedryl (that really works for some dogs) or something else to keep him mildly sedated :(

Yolanda
12-19-2010, 10:52 AM
You should be fine. Crate rest does not lead to muscle issues as long as she can stand and move a round a bit.

Give her a stuffed kong or something to keep her mind busy and proceed slowley.

lotsadox
12-19-2010, 11:21 AM
My previous answer was written right before bed. Now that it's morning and I"m awake I thought of something else. My vet also told me to add a few drops of Rescue Remedy to his water to keep him calmer. That did seem to help. You can also put a few drops of RR in a spray bottle and mist him with it. I used that when we went to Buda last year and it seemed to work :dunno:

pairodachs
12-19-2010, 11:34 AM
from what I've read (mind you - Maggie's had two surgeries but I explored all options) the surgery takes 'care of the issue immediately' whereas with conventional therapy, the body has to heal itself. Hence the longer crate rest, normally, for conventional recovery.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the muscle atrophy right now as you want the area to heal. Atrophy can be remedied with physical therapy down the road. You want the area to be fully healed before any of this starts, as not to upset the healing process.

more :bigrayz::bigrayz: being sent!!

Lisa
12-19-2010, 11:43 AM
The kong seems to working. :cheer3: I am going to pick up some RR too. That is a really good idea.

HokieMom
12-19-2010, 01:20 PM
The kong seems to working. :cheer3: I am going to pick up some RR too. That is a really good idea.

:appl::cheer3::appl::cheer3:

Rae
12-19-2010, 03:53 PM
How is Pix with SA? Duchie as you know MUST.BE.NEAR.MOMMY. all the time, and the stroller really helped ME to keep her in all the action without a bunch of stooping and bending to move her crate room to room.

continued :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Pix and the whole Kharman Khrew. Love you guys.

LexieLuvr
12-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Muscle atrophy is the LEAST thing to worry about. Many recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: :bigrayz:!