PDA

View Full Version : Very intresting article. Different meat protein for different breeds ....

prettybutterfly
03-16-2006, 11:51 PM
http://www.animalwellnessmagazine.com/m/m81/main.htm

so feeding rabbit for a mini daschund will be better then chicken? what is daschunds "ancestral” food? not chicken,fish,vension but maybe lamb and rabbit? maybe that explains why my dog lucky doesn't like fish and goes crazy for lamb? and what veggies did the "ancestral" daschund eat. i think this is intresting.... i just don't know a definte answer.

Yes, i'm a health nut!!

Courtney
03-17-2006, 12:25 AM
That is interesting, but I think dogs need a VARIETY of protein, even if they eat commercial food! That is what my doggies get - variety. Different meats have different nutrients/vitamins/etc. They do like rabbit, but man, rabbit smells awful!! :)

prettybutterfly
03-17-2006, 12:58 AM
what pet foods contain rabbit? haven't seen any. thanxs in advance! :)

Patt
03-17-2006, 02:09 AM
what pet foods contain rabbit? haven't seen any. thanxs in advance! :)Nature's Variety is one.

Alex's Mom
03-17-2006, 07:22 AM
what is daschunds "ancestral” food?

Ummm...would it be badger?? :rotfl: I've seen specialty foods with rabbit in them, but can't remember who made them.

lotsadox
03-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Hmmmm. . . I think it might be a little hard to find badger to feed! :banana:

What do you think Courtney? Know of an resources for raw badger? I'm like Courtney I believe in feeding a variety of proteins for good health. Although I use primarily the premix raw, I vary the type of protein. There's beef, chicken, lamb, venison. I use all of them and feel that it gives the dogs a more well rounded diet.

Jen
03-17-2006, 10:47 AM
I feed Tasha dried rabbit ears as a treat--she loves them. They sell them on SitStay.

My alma mater UW Madison has a badger as Mascot. We got a stuffed version for Tasha to play with--kill the Badger. But real badger meat??

oceangirls
03-17-2006, 03:44 PM
I switch the canned (which I mix with kibble) varieties of Wellness around - they have several :)

Just can't do rabbit... used to have a pet rabbit:hearts:

Bella's Mom
03-17-2006, 06:33 PM
I feed Tasha dried rabbit ears as a treat--she loves them. They sell them on SitStay.

My alma mater UW Madison has a badger as Mascot. We got a stuffed version for Tasha to play with--kill the Badger. But real badger meat??
Oh my! What we feed our puppers! :rotfl:

laura
03-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Arent doxies german breeds? In this article, it says "German" breeds had lots of beef and pork.

Laura

jennie_c_d
03-17-2006, 07:21 PM
I think that's a little on the silly side, seeing as they're all dogs and their insides are all the same;) Emma does love rabbit, but Teenie hasn't tried it. You have to catch your own rabbit, around here. I don't cook rabbit for them, b/c I also had pet rabbits and have bunny cooking issues.