PDA

View Full Version : Pixel's visit with CARE

Lisa
01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Pixel, Rafi and I met with Marnie (http://www.vetemergency.ca/docs/rehab_team.html) from CARE today. She is the same lady who we met with 2 years ago for Pogo's rehabilitation. She is seriously an amazing lady, so nice to talk to and just has so much knowledge and information. Anyway, she did a full evaluation of Pixel (we were there for almost 2 hours). She went over his medical history, the episode itself, what meds he is on, and his progress to date. She also did several tests on him (walking, sitting, sit to stand, poking his muscles etc). He is progressing extremely well, but he does still have some loss of function on his left hand side, so we are going to target that.

Because he is progressing so well, she actually does not recommend laser or acupuncture/ pressure at this time. Instead he is going to start on some moderate exercises. Although she is a fan of crate rest, she is a bigger fan of teaming the rest with a set exercise pattern to keep the connection between the brain, spinal cord and back end as active as possible. Again, this is for PIXEL after he was evaluated by a professional.

Starting today, we are to do these 1 x per day, then by the weekend build up to 2 x per day and by mid next week 3 x per day.

- we are to lay him on his side on a mat and work on neuro-patterning techniques: taking his back left limb through the process of a walking pattern and add pressure through his paw when a touch-down would take place. Basically we do the walking for him to keep the connection.

- a very, very light obstacle course. He is to walk on carpet over wood dowels (the thin ones). Just enough to make him have to think about lifting his back legs.

- 5-10 sit to stands (the equivalent of humans doing squats). We have to pull him out of the sit right before his butt touches the floor. Given how low to the ground his is, that should be fun. :rolleyes: I won't be able to get the word sit out before I want him in a different position.

- We are to gently lift his right leg and force him just to stand on his left leg. A couple reps of that.

- Finally while he is standing, I hold him and Rafi pushes his left hip to the right.

We don't have to go back unless he takes a dramatic turn for the worst. We will contact Marnie again in 4 weeks, but she gave us her email if we have any questions or concerns.

Again, Pixel will stay on the full 8 weeks of crate rest, except for potty time and his scheduled exercise program. But overall, we are very optimistic.

Rae
01-05-2011, 05:54 PM
:congrats2::congrats2::congrats2: on such a wonderful report, Lisa. That is great!!!

Kasianni
01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Wow she sounds amazing!! So glad to hear Pixel is progressing so well, I can only imagine how worried you and Rafi have been these past few weeks.

areese
01-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Awesome :)

lotsadox
01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
:cheer3::cheer3: I'm so glad that he's doing so well! :cheer3::cheer3:

That is interesting about the rest/exercise program combination. That is what my vet was advocating for Bogart. Being as paranoid as I was he got mostly crate rest and a little controlled walking and that was about it. Be sure to keep us updated on his progress.

Frzframe
01-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a awesome plan of action. :crossfin::crossfin: that things continued to progress and heal.

RustysMom
01-05-2011, 07:13 PM
great news! :cheer3:

jenfer
01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
That's great news.

You should tape Pixel's exercise. ;)

Linus
01-05-2011, 07:43 PM
That's cool! When I co-treated with Becky, the PT in WISD, we did a lot of that neuro patterning stuff with the kids. It's amazing to really watch it work in the right hands (not that yours aren't, but the kids' movements were crazy complex, all I was allowed to do was add the musical cues).

Tanya
01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
:cheer3: I am glad Pixel's appointment went so well! I hope he isn't too stubborn with the exercises. I'm sure he'll be happy to be doing something. Although I think he'd prefer 8 weeks of strict lap rest rather than crate rest!

Tex
01-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Sounds like a wonderful plan!!!:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Lisa
01-06-2011, 10:13 AM
She said something interesting. I am paraphrasing, and I can't remember the exact numbers, but the nerves regenerate very slowly. Like mm in 3-4 days. So the new thinking is the longer the dog is on crate rest, with zero activity, the nerves can loose more and more function, and then it takes a lot more time to get them back, IF they come back. So by doing some controlled exercise the nerves keep the connection and actually speed up healing.

Basically, it is a fine balancing act. You have to protect the disc (meds and crate rest) and also keep the nerve function as active as possible to the back end.

lotsadox
01-06-2011, 10:18 AM
That is interesting, Lisa.

Alex's Mom
01-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Kharman Rehab Centre :). Glad for the excellent update, and very interesting physio stuff!!!!!!! More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and a :hug99::hug99: or three just cuz.

areese
01-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I think that sounds good....done on a case-by-case basis. Like, I wouldn't want to start doing that until the dog was healed. Like after function starts to improve, so you know the pressure on the spinal cord has been reduced, signalling that either the swelling of a bulging disc has gone down, or the disc material has been absorbed (if indeed it was a rupture). And pain is controlled of course. And the dog has been evaluated by someone who knows dachshunds and their back problems (which unfortunately isn't often your own vet. Mine included, although I love her and she's awesome).
After Laika's surgery I did 4 weeks of rest but did her exercises after 2 weeks. They told me she didn't need any therapy aside from walking, although she had left rear weakness/reduced reflex. They were right. Once she was walking around, she got better every single day. Noticeably!

She said something interesting. I am paraphrasing, and I can't remember the exact numbers, but the nerves regenerate very slowly. Like mm in 3-4 days. So the new thinking is the longer the dog is on crate rest, with zero activity, the nerves can loose more and more function, and then it takes a lot more time to get them back, IF they come back. So by doing some controlled exercise the nerves keep the connection and actually speed up healing.

Basically, it is a fine balancing act. You have to protect the disc (meds and crate rest) and also keep the nerve function as active as possible to the back end.

lotsadox
01-06-2011, 02:06 PM
I think it would definitely be on a case-by-case basis as should all care. Lisa said in her original post "this is for PIXEL after he was evaluated by a professional." There are few generalities that work well.

Bogart also didn't need any therapy except walking. He was weak on one side at first, but that rapidly disappeared once he was up and around :cheer3:

areese
01-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I think it would definitely be on a case-by-case basis as should all care. Lisa said in her original post "this is for PIXEL after he was evaluated by a professional." There are few generalities that work well.

Bogart also didn't need any therapy except walking. He was weak on one side at first, but that rapidly disappeared once he was up and around :cheer3:

That is very true (that few generalities work well). I used to be mad, reading dodger's list and thinking they were soooo inflexible. Then, after dealing with a few people IRL (meet-up group) that have NO freaking common sense and vets that are SOOO misinformed or ignorant on the topic of IVDD, I understand the focus on the 8 weeks of crate rest. And why the mods act like nazis! I'm sure that has saved a lot of dogs. Cuz in some cases doing nothing is way better than doing the wrong thing and there's no one to tell them the right thing.

michelehbc
01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
I :hearts:LOVE:hearts: good reports! :) :congrats2:

wawailc
01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm so glad Pixel is on the mend! :cheer3::cheer3:

lotsadox
01-06-2011, 03:03 PM
That is very true (that few generalities work well). I used to be mad, reading dodger's list and thinking they were soooo inflexible. Then, after dealing with a few people IRL (meet-up group) that have NO freaking common sense and vets that are SOOO misinformed or ignorant on the topic of IVDD, I understand the focus on the 8 weeks of crate rest. And why the mods act like nazis! I'm sure that has saved a lot of dogs. Cuz in some cases doing nothing is way better than doing the wrong thing and there's no one to tell them the right thing.

Oh, for sure. And people tend to do what's convenient not what's best. All of the "she doesn't like being in the crate" or "she barks all the time so I let her out" stuff is crazy! I know that's why the Dodger's List Nazis are like they are, but they are really annoying! :rotfl: And they are kind of inflexible. I felt like they were poo-pooing my use of a stroller with Bogart and now I understand they're telling people to use a stroller. :scratch: It guess when it's their idea it's better :rolleyes:

I"m sure my vet has me do stuff differently than she would some people because she knows I'll do EXACTLY what she tells me. I won't kinda/sorta do it. I'll do it.

Edit: Sorry Lisa http://www.usamustangs.com/forum/images/smilies/sign0101.gif

Lisa
01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
LOL, it's not a thread hijack, and I totally believe both of you. It is a case by case basis. It is from information on Dodgers' and my own experience with Pogo that I really think helped us with Pixel. I know why Dodgers are so strict, it's is all about interpretation. 8 weeks of crate rest, no exceptions can't be misconstrued and Amy is right, has probably saved many dogs.

I totally agree, every dog is different, have different types IVDD (location, neck vs back, blown disc, compressed disc, slightly ruptured disc etc) and they all have different healing rates.

The #1 thing I was trying to express for people who may just stumble on this thread through an internet search is not to try to self diagnosis or do any type of physio without consulting a professional and having your dog evaluated. It's also extremely important to be shown HOW to properly do the exercises and you do a couple in front of the therapist to make sure you are maximizing the motion and not putting the dog at further risk.

lotsadox
01-06-2011, 06:10 PM
The #1 thing I was trying to express for people who may just stumble on this thread through an internet search is not to try to self diagnosis or do any type of physio without consulting a professional and having your dog evaluated. It's also extremely important to be shown HOW to properly do the exercises and you do a couple in front of the therapist to make sure you are maximizing the motion and not putting the dog at further risk.

:iagree: It's not something you should do instead of taking your dog for an evaulation.

HokieMom
01-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Whew! Good report on Pixel!