PDA

View Full Version : Potty schedule--does it change as they age?

Jen
03-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Just curious as Tasha is 4, and has always been able to hold her potty needs for quite a long time--often 12 hours on weekends if we take her out at 8 or 9 pm and sleep in the next morning.

I'm being a worry wart as she's now alone another 60 min per day. We used to leave for work at 8:30 and get home at 5:30. Now its more like 8-6. We can't afford a dog walker, and Tasha doesn't like younger people much anyways. What I'm wondering is if I should put down potty pads, which she's never used with us, so if she does need to go she can. She seems a bit eager to go out when we get home, but doesn't go immediately, sometimes waits a block or two to find the right spot.

For now, I think she's ok, but as she ages, will she need to go more often? This is a dog who has only had one accident in the apt since we got her almost 2 years ago, and who can hold her water 24 hours+ if its raining too hard--so maybe I'm worrying over nothing....

Oh, and I do try to give her extra attention and extra play sessions each night, since she's alone a little more. DH is off a weekday every other week since he works every other Sat, and often he works one night a week, so he's home in the morning.

Courtney
03-17-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't know about older dogs. I wouldn't think it would be an issue until she is very old or has a health problem.

I was actually just going to post along these same lines, sort of. I've been leaving Thor and Napoleon in the kitchen while I go to work. I had always come home at lunch to let them out so they could have a potty break. But a few times, I started leaving them alone all day, like if I had a meeting and could not make it home. Now, Napoleon won't go potty when I let them out at lunch! Thor doesn't seem like he has to go urgently either. And there have never been any accidents. So now I say to them, ok if you aren't going to go to the bathroom, I'm going to go enjoy a leisurely lunch hour, see you at 7!! :rotfl:

So, I'm sure Tasha will be fine. Mine are in for 9 hours - something I would have thought way too long before. I don't leave them alone that long every day, but usually if they both poop and pee before I leave, I don't come home at lunch.

Jen
03-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks Courtney, that helps. Tasha is alone 10 hours a day but not more than 4 days a week. And when we are home she sleeps most of the day so I don't feel too guilty. Plus she gets a LOT more indoor playtime/exercise in the new place!

Rae
03-17-2006, 02:11 PM
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: for Tasha's Paranoid mom. I love the way you put her welfare so high on your list...it is just PART of what makes you such a wonderful hoo-mom and I am so glad she found you so she can live like the princess she was meant to be.

Patt
03-17-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't think an hour is going to make any difference. Dogs sleep on the average of 14 hours a day, in 15-20 min intervals. If you take her on a long walk in the morning so she can do her thing I'm sure she will be fine. She will probably change her habits as she gets older but I don't think that will be for quite awhile unless she has health problems. :thanx: for being a Mommy worry wart!!

Jen
03-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks Patt and Rae. Yes, Tasha gets walked before we go to work and always does her thing.

She may have had a rocky start in life but now she's gonna be well cared for, loved, and spoiled!!

Bella's Mom
03-17-2006, 06:36 PM
We have a wee pad in Bella's room in case she needs to go during the day. She never uses it. If DH and I are home for some reason during the day and take her out, she won't go. I guess she prefers to hold it?? :shocked:

JanUet
03-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Casey and Sophie have a schedule of potty times. Yup! I made the schedule and they stick to it! Walkies at 9 am, 1pm, 5 pm and 9 pm...a last outtie before I go to bed at 11 pm.

Doug is home during the day and I am home in the evening. So, it works!

We both worked during the day on March break and I had asked my son Brett to take them for a walk at 9 am and let them out for a pee at 1pm. Well, you know how teenagers are..........We came home from work Monday at 2 pm to find they both peed in my bed. He did let them out for a pee but that was at 11 pm. He told me he cleaned up my bed. He sprayed the pee stains on my bed with Fantastik Disinfectant and left it! :shocked: :hissy: :mad1: :mad2:

I had a chat with him (well, screaming match!)
Next day, Pee on the carpet and poop in the basement.
He still swears he took them out for a walk.

On Wednesday, I came home from work (as I only work 5 minutes away) took them for a walk and fed them.

Never trust a teenager to walk your dogs at the proper time!

Jen
03-18-2006, 05:23 PM
If you could only train them to go on HIS bed, I'm sure he'd be more diligent about taking them out!!

Mama S.
03-18-2006, 09:20 PM
I leave for work at 8:00 am, mormally come home for lunch but sometimes I just can't. Jamie get's home at 5 and everyone goes outside then. We don't seem to have had major problems with them having to wait, although I enjoy speing our time at lunch! We nap on the couch for aobut 30 minutes!!
You are the bestest Mommy she could ever ask for!
Sandi

Kerie
03-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Well, if you said that she is able to hold it for a bit even after she gets out--that is a good sign. I'm sure she gets excited when you get home. If Oscar had to go really really bad or was left too long, he could work to hold it, but then if he saw us and got excited, he might lose it.

My late dachsie Lengthy had back surgery and was never really able to hold it for a long time after that. He was also a submissive pee-er but I didn't know about the concept at the time when he was alive. When he was having a flareup with is back, he had a harder time holding his urine. It was often one of the first signs of flareup. And of course, it did get worse with age.

So yes, her potty needs may change. I don't think they will anytime soon, though. Maybe you'll meet some neighbors who can walk her in an emergency. I know people who use wee wee pads but I think my Oscar would chew them up.