PDA

View Full Version : It really is a small world after all (aka Buddy's medical adventure)

Pinkglamb
03-17-2006, 11:58 PM
I'd like to preface this story by saying that Buddy is doing fine and is returning home tomorrow. No need to read the following panicked ;)

On Monday, my little dude started vomiting. We had given him his heart guard medicine two days prior, so we thought he was having a reaction. We called the vet and they told us that it was more likely that his stomach was upset and we needed to put him on a rice/chicken-flavored baby food diet for a few days. We did that (which he really enjoyed) and he did fine until Thursday, when we introduced regular dog food back into his meals. He did ok through most of the day, but he began to throw up again.

Yesterday we took him to the vet. They told us that they thought he had a blockage in the intestines. They kept him overnight to watch him and decide on treatment. Today they called us and in fact, there is no intestinal blockage. He has pyloric stenosis.

Here's the crazy part (as if it wasn't crazy enough already): 34 years or so ago when my brother was just 6 weeks old, he was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis! In fact, if my mom hadn't taken him to the hospital when she did he would have died within 12 hours.

Luckily everything has worked out; my brother is alive and well, and Buddy's surgery was a success. :D

Helen
03-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Here's a link (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=468) in case anyone needs an explanation like I did.

I'm so glad the surgery went well, both Buddy's and your brother's! You must have been so scared. That sounds like a great catch by your vet.

Edit: I just looked at your "welcome" post. You should post more often, especially pics of your beautiful and now healthy baby! :D

Frzframe
03-18-2006, 01:46 AM
Wow glad your boy is doing so well.

Also glad your brother is alive and well.

Patt
03-18-2006, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the update on Buddy. :) That's something else about your bro and Buddy having the same problem. I'm glad they are both doing well. Please post more pics of your handsome Buddy. :hearts:

Lisa
03-18-2006, 09:17 AM
WOW you have been though so much with Buddy. I am thrilled he is doing great and coming home tomorrow.

Lots more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and a :bighug: too for all you have been dealing with.

I agree, we need some more Buddy picture! And it's really nice to see you posting too.

oceangirls
03-18-2006, 11:48 AM
I bet it was scary not knowing what was wrong with him :(
I'm sure your brother was amused, if you've told him. :D

thanks for the explanation link, Helen

lotsadox
03-18-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm so glad that Buddy is doing so well after surgery. :banana: :banana: Very interesting that your bro and Buddy would have had the same condition! :scratch: But since everyone seems to be doing well I'll just send a :bighug: for you and recovery rayz for Buddy. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Jen
03-18-2006, 05:25 PM
How scary! I'm so glad the Vet figured it out and Buddy will be fine. Here are some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Buddy and a :bighug: for you!

Mama S.
03-18-2006, 08:13 PM
After having had 2 go through surgery in the last 30 days, I know how you feel about da woom of doom! So glad that your baby is ok! Good thing you are such an observant and careful Mommy!
Sandi