PDA

View Full Version : A Flyball Challenge Today

Tanya
03-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Peaches has Flyball this morning. We will be working on the one big issue I have been trying to avoid. As you saw in her video, Peaches is running great. :cheer2: The big problem is she gets territorial in class and will only take 1 ball...the first ball she plays with when we get there. That isn't going to work in competition. She needs to learn to take any ball that is in the box.

Right now, I have to run her ball back the box loader after every one of her runs. It's a total PITA! She used to do this at home too, and I was able to break her of it. It's going to be much harder in class cuz she thinks all the other dogs are out to get her HER ball! :conf4:

Keep in mind that she uses the smaller tennis balls, so I bring in her bucket of balls. So, it's not like she is attached to any 1 particular ball. They are all hers and have her scent on them. Please wish us luck and hope that her stubborness will go away for at least this 1 hour of our day! :krazy:

K2
03-18-2006, 12:11 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to you all!! I'd love to be there to watch!

JanUet
03-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Sending you mega Good Luck :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Peaches.

Please do let us know if she has another run in with the puking Rottie! :rotfl:

Helen
03-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Peaches little idiosyncrasies are so cute! But since it's a giant pain for you, here are lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that you can break her of her fixation on the one ball. Lots of luck!

Nancy
03-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Good luck today Peaches!! Make momma proud and use ANY ball!

Tanya
03-18-2006, 03:29 PM
We are back from class. She did much better than expected, but we still have some work to do.

She ran by herself rather than as part of a team because we anticipated problems. When it is her turn, she runs a set of four runs one after another. Her first two sets were perfect. Each run was a different ball, and she brought them all back no problem. I couldn't believe it! :shocked:

On her 2nd run of the third set, she had a ball issue. I got her to pick it up and bring it back and she finished that set no problem. So, then she got to run with the team. She ran last and would not bring the ball back at all. She was running all over looking for one certain ball. So, she had a long time out.

Then she ran by herself again. She wouldn't bring the ball back again, so I just leashed her up and brought her home. The biggest punishment for Peaches is to not get to play anymore. So, when she acts up, we have to take away her fun.

We don't have class next week, but do the week after. I think if she acts up then, I am going to immediately go pick her up and put her in one of the crates they have at the facility. She can wait there until its her turn to run again. She will not be happy, but I think it will sink in faster.

Even though we had some problems, I am pleased that she ran her first two sets cleanly. That gives me hope! Go Peaches! :cheer2:

Goob
03-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Little Wang is diva, thru and thru. Love her!!!! :hearts:

Maybe the donkey should take her to fly ball.

Mama S.
03-18-2006, 09:27 PM
:appl: :appl: on the first runs!! Every great athlete deserves a bit of a muck up!! Poor baby doens't get to play :( Here's hoping each session gets even better!
Sandi