PDA

View Full Version : Peta

mydachsies
03-18-2006, 01:52 PM
http://consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm/headline/2982
I heard on the news the other day about PETA and wanted to check it out for myself.I was like:huh: !I am mad cause they kill alot of animals for practically no reason and are so agains the cruelty of animals.I am outraged.I have read every artical on this website and I don't even know what to say!:pullhair: :fight: :bleep: :curse:http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petaKillsAnimals.cfm

LUVMYGUNNER
03-18-2006, 05:32 PM
I thought they were against that???

Patt
03-19-2006, 01:34 AM
This is writen by the CCF... who are they? Looks like a good scam to get people to send money to them.

BethMH
03-19-2006, 02:01 AM
OMG - is this for real?

Yolanda
03-19-2006, 08:44 AM
I believe this is an "open secret" in the animal world. :shocked: :shocked:
I do know for a fact, there was a documented incident of a person with PETA (in the Virginia Beach, VA area) taking the kittens from a shelter and disposing of them illegally. :mad: :mad:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-19-2006, 09:55 AM
OMGosh! This is so crazy! All the Years of tormenting models for wearing fur & now this!:shocked: :scratch: I don' t understand!?!?

Otto'sMom
03-19-2006, 09:55 AM
There was a big "to do" about it here. PETA was taking dogs and cats from vets and in impoverished shelters down in North Carolina, under the guise of 'finding proper homes for them' and then killing them in the vans and dumping the bodies in a dumpster behind the grocery store on the way home. I believe the count was 80+ animals improperly disposed of. They let the people who did it hang out to dry too, saying the corporation had nothing to do with it.
I know from experience that they are kill happy, and they stole my money. The first incident I had with them was involving a kitten. The local animal control called me to see if I could foster a little orange man that the PETA vets had turned over to the pound to kill, saying it was anemic and near death from flea infestation. I took it in and took it to MY vet the next day. Not anemic, and after a bath, not infested with fleas.:scratch:
They offer a low cost spay and neuter program. I brought 2 cats in to be fixed, paid around 100 bucks total. These cats had been receiving treatment for upper respitory infection and hadn't sneezed in a week. They get into the SNIP van, which is as hot as a sauna and suddenly they're "too sick to spay" with runny noses. I don't get my money back because, as a rescuer, I was supposed to know about that rule. I was told not to make a big deal about it or else the other rescuers would stop receiving any discount they gave us. I was peeved beyond words, that's extortion! I had to drop it because I wanted our rescue group to be able to use the cheap services.
I appreciate the information about animal abuse that PETA puts out, but I can't support what they do.

JanUet
03-19-2006, 11:01 AM
I can't seem to offer a reply at this time. I just too :mad:

Andrea,
What Rescue you have done in the past and present is so Wonderful! You are an :angel7: to the kitties you did try to save. The story brings tears to my eyes and we have to wonder if it will ever stop.
:thankyou:for your efforts and sharing your story with us! :hearts:

Otto'sMom
03-19-2006, 11:28 AM
I can't wait to get settled back down in MS so I can start volunteering again.

I hate to think of the critters I've missed out on:sosad:

areese
03-19-2006, 12:07 PM
I should do some more research before I open my mouth (or move my fingers???) but I've always thought the more radical PETA people don't think animals should ever even be pets. So I'm surprised that they would be into pet rescue, although I did read about them killing all those animals in the news.
When I've was at a big agility trial (CPE Nationals), we were warned that PETA activists had been releasing dogs at big dog shows and even putting antifreeze in their water. The premise being, a dog is better off dead than in "servitude". And of course they tell us this during the briefing before the trial when virtually EVERYONE has left their dogs in their pens or crates in our tents. MANY people left. We all are more careful now and watch each other's dogs if anyone we dont' know is around.
Like I said, this is just what I was told so I dunno if it's accurate...

lotsadox
03-19-2006, 12:35 PM
I've heard the rumors about the PETA people releasing dogs from crates at shows from some pretty reliable people. I think they are true. I 've always disliked the PETA people because I feel they make all pet lovers look like a bunch of extremists. This is really over the top though. :shocked:

Also, putting antifreeze in their water? That is a horrible death for any animals. If they are doing that, there isn't a punishment bad enough.

Wow, Andrea, that really sucks. For people who are *supposedly* here to help animals, that's a horrible way to act. I know when I worked for SNAP the vets would sometimes refuse to operate on some animals, but the owner's money wasn't taken. In a lot of cases, they weren't paying anything anyway and if it was something minor they would treat the animal and tell them to come back the next week. To take your money and then refuse to spay/neuter and not give youre money back? Where is the ETHICAL in People for the ETHICAL Treatment of Animals? :scratch:

Otto'sMom
03-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I've heard that too, about not even wanting dogs and cats as pets. Hadn't heard about the antifreeze thing though, and that sounds like ecoterrorism.:shocked: I can believe in their anti-circus stance, and exotic pets ban (Lions, Tigers, (other big cats) bears, elephants and monkeys shouldn't be pets) but they take everything to such an extreme. I don't know if I can even believe some of their "documented" abuse stories. Just by being associated with PETA, the stories get discredited. I just have a hard time trusting PETA and their extremism.

Patt
03-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Don't forget CCF is also blasting HSUS, PCRM, Green Peace, Sierra Club and FDA etc, etc, the list is endless.

Mama S.
03-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Arrg - they make me crazy. We call them "PITA's" down here!
SAndi

Jen
03-22-2006, 03:12 PM
ARRRRGH!

:mad2: :curse: :bleep: :potty2:

I've never liked PETA, just too extreme. And yes, lacking Ethics.

quavec
03-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I can't wait to get settled back down in MS so I can start volunteering again.

I hate to think of the critters I've missed out on:sosad:

You would be so NEEDED down here! Especially in Waveland. That HS is under some SERIOUS scrutiny right now.

PETA tries to say they are doing things for the good of animals but, IMO, they create more hurt than good.

Lee Anne
07-19-2006, 02:14 PM
I just found out about this today and wanted to bump it up for people who had not seen it. I had no idea...

Anatresia
07-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Peta is bush. I hate them. I hate them for going too far and making legitimate animal rights organizations look bad. I hate them for using guilt tactics to brainwash people, instead of presenting information and letting people decide.

I don't care who is a vegetarian, so long as they don't push that on me.

catstamm
07-19-2006, 03:02 PM
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Otto'sMom
07-19-2006, 04:00 PM
I beleive she may have meant to say PETA is Bullpoop. Or was that supposed to be a political statement? :dunno:
Other than that, I totally agree with Tracy said.

laura
07-19-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't buy it whatsoever...

Lee Anne
07-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Do you think those two people that were just indited (sp?) were acting on their own? I really don't know anything about it either way... I was just astonished to read about it. I'm all for getting passionate about animals (I might even break laws to help animals), but I wouldn't collect them from shelters just to euthanize them... that just seems crazy to me. :scratch: :scratch:

Patt
07-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Do you think those two people that were just indited (sp?) were acting on their own? I really don't know anything about it either way... I was just astonished to read about it. I'm all for getting passionate about animals (I might even break laws to help animals), but I wouldn't collect them from shelters just to euthanize them... that just seems crazy to me. :scratch: :scratch:There are probably many answers. I am not going to debate the subject everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm a member of PETA.

Otto'sMom
07-19-2006, 08:09 PM
There are probably many answers. I am not going to debate the subject everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm a member of PETA.

Can I have my 100 bucks back?:pray:

Rae
07-20-2006, 09:20 AM
we were warned that PETA activists had been releasing dogs at big dog shows and even putting antifreeze in their water. The premise being, a dog is better off dead than in "servitude". .

what about the pups like ours, who hold their people in servitude, and the people like it?!?!?!

how could an animal have a better life than some of ours? I mean, Mr B has his own swimming pool and floaties, Duchie has a princess bed, and Peaches has more clothes than I do.... our furkids are doing JUST FINE thankyouverymuch.

laura
07-20-2006, 12:14 PM
I do not believe everything I read on the internet. I also know that within every organization or group of ANY kind, there are "stupids" who "misbehave" and make the entire group look bad. I also know PETA does a lot of good, and though I often wish they did not resort to extreme tactics, they do bring light to situations that would forever remain in the dark without them. They are not perfect by any means, but I have seen more good results than bad results simply by the fact that they bring ugly issues to the forefront.

My 2 cents.

Otto'sMom
07-20-2006, 12:33 PM
[B]
My 2 cents.

Can I have the 99.98 bucks back?

Lee Anne
07-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Laura and Patt - fair enough... I was just alarmed. I agree that you should take everything you hear (esp. on the internet) with a grain of salt and be prepared to research something to find out if it's true (to the best of your ability). There ARE bad apples in every barrel... it's true. It's never fair to lump everyone together. (Take the fact that some Marines are accused of rape/murder right now - you can't say all Marines are bad.)

I don't know a lot about PETA - I knew they did some extreme things... but I don't have any personal experience with them. I do hope they're not killing pets though.