PDA

View Full Version : Scooter Training 101

lotsadox
02-20-2011, 06:31 PM
This is in "Bad Dog" but it's really a "pretty good dog". I've realized for some time that Scooter needs work. A lot of work. But I've been too lazy/sick/busy to get off my rear end and do it. The weather was so nice today that I decided this would be a good time to start. Those of you that saw Scooter at Buda 2 years ago remember a stressed out, excited, frantic dog. He was fine as long as you were walking. We could walk him thru and crowds of people and he acted like the best behaved dog you've ever seen. But as soon as you sat down with him, he went ballistic at every person or animal that went by. He was also awful all night in the hotel but that's another story. . .

So today I took Scooter to the park in our neighborhood. There are usually lots of people and dogs there on weekends. We walked over and then walked around a bit and then I sat down on a bench. He was very tense and just looking for something to react to. I gave lots of positive reinforcement when he was good and a squirt with the water bottle when he was really bad. I only sat for 5 minutes and then got up and walked some more. The second time I sat down, he was better. We did a bit of sit and down for treats and he was okay. Not relaxed but not totally stressed. Again, I stayed for about 5 or 6 minutes and then got up and walked. The next time I sat down was near the baseball diamond where the little kids game was just finishing. I sat on the ground and Scooter voluntarily sat and then laid down next to me. He was really starting to relax! It was great. He got many treats and ear rubs and loves. We stayed there almost 10 minutes because he was doing so well and so happy. I decided to get up and move again on a positive note before he got stressed. We stopped once more and sat and did a bit of training work and he was really good. Even his walking was more relaxed and happy. I'm going to try to come home from work early one or two days a week and take him over to the park for some more work or maybe to Petsmart. I'd really like him to get so he relaxes and isn't so freaked out about being out and about.

I'll keep you updated on how he does. Hopefully, it will be good :crossfin::crossfin::crossfin:

If anyone has any suggestions, please post them. I can use all the help I can get!

Rae
02-20-2011, 06:36 PM
what a good boy (and a good Mommy!) to work so hard at making life easier for everyone in the Schoppe household. :appl::appl::appl:

areese
02-20-2011, 06:43 PM
I think that sounds perfect, what you are doing. Just keep it short, so you can end on a positive note, like you did.
It's often good to have them do some tricks or behaviors when they are getting too excited or tense...we do that on the start line at agility. Just simple things like "touch" or spins or whatever.

lotsadox
02-20-2011, 06:46 PM
I need to teach Scooter "touch". Spin gets him really wound up and makes him even more excited. Mostly right now, I just do sit and down because that's what he knows well. I started on touch when I was doing clicker training. I need to start working the "pigs fly" clicker training again, too. That worked really well with him. Sounds like I'm going to be getting my dog training books out again and doing some reading! :cheer3:

Linus
02-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Awesome Scoots!!! :cheer3:

The touch, if close to you also gets him focused away from the action, so its a great distraction.

If he takes to the clicker so well, re charge it with him then click him for being calm. Click for eye contact when sitting at the park, click for sits and downs, click for looking away and then looking back... make it a game.

I know how you feel though, Bailey, Piper, and I train every Sunday morning with my group. Bailey has gotten over all of his issues and now Piper has lost her mind. I think she doesn't understand why there are dogs and people and the dogs aren't playing. It confuses her and she whines and won't listen. Luckily our group offers several classes back to back and you can come and go (all for free!!), so I'll do one with B, one with Piper, watch the next with Piper, etc. It seems to be helping some.

LexieLuvr
02-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Sounds like what you're doing is perfect! Keep up the great work!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

jenfer
02-21-2011, 12:02 AM
I think what you are doing is great: short sessions + lots of positive reinforcement.

BeauBuddy
02-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Wow that's wonderful!
I'm so jealous that you can do that in Feb! We have about 7 months of winter where there's no walks on leashes. When the warm weather finally comes around, it's one at a time and retraining all over again. Sigh.

Alex's Mom
02-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Wow!!! Sounds like you're doing exactly what's needed!!! :appl::appl::hug99: Am sending you James, Patrice!!! I need to be doing a LOT more with him...he's so bored it's pathetic. I HATE winter!!!!

lotsadox
02-21-2011, 09:59 AM
I couldn't even imagine having Scooter not being able to get out and run for months at a time! We'd both be nuts. Weather here has been unusually warm this week (after being unusually cold the week before :duh:) so we took advantage of it. It is easier when outdoor training can be year round.