PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to post this. :(

RosaC
03-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Well, due to our current living situation, we're having to downsize a couple of our dogs. One of which being my Double Dapple boy, Peavey. :( We are having a baby very soon (which as far as we knew wasn't able to happen), and we are finding more appropriate homes for a couple of our more active dogs. I realize that once the baby gets here, I will have very little time to give Peavey the time and attention he needs. I know most don't agree with my decision, but I want what's best for Peavey, no matter how much it hurts me. He deserves to have a family that will have the time to devote to him, and give him all the undivided attention he needs. I figured this would be a great place to start, since they're are so many Doxie Lovers here, and it helps to know and understand the breed. He gets along very well with other dogs, and has never met a stranger. The only issue he has is he's no fan of having a bath or his nails done. We are not taking an adoption fee, as long as his new family can pick him up close to home, since we're in no way to travel at this point. I'll post a couple pics of Peavey in case anyone would be interested in adding him to their family.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h131/va_gurl/Peavey/DSCN1819.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h131/va_gurl/Peavey/DSCN1820.jpg

LUVMYGUNNER
03-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Prayers and rays for the little guy---hope someone can help you...Just don't post about it on Craigslist...Are you giving up all your dogs?

AgileOllie
03-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm sorry- I guess I don't understand. Why do you need to find new homes?? Hasn't he already been uprooted once? I have two children under three, 5 dogs of my own plus 8 fosters. If I can do it anyone can. I even have 2 dogs who don't like children. Let me say one thing- I understand the fear of the unknown when you are pregnant. All sorts of what-ifs run through your head, but let me tell you- it's all hormones. I've been there. Having a baby is NO reason to dump your dog(s). And I'm afraid you're right- not many here will be sympathetic. Except to your poor dog.

michelehbc
03-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I'm not clear on why adding a human means getting rid of a canine member of your family...

RustysMom
03-06-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm sorry but I have to take sides with Tonya. My friend has a 1 year old son, 2 dachshunds of their own and a foster which is the 3rd or 4th since their son was born. They are family.

Red Haired Girl
03-06-2011, 11:25 PM
I believe a few more details about your current living situation would help us understand.
How many dogs do you have?
How many are you trying to re - home?
Are you living in your own home?
How many people are in your current home?
How much attention do you really think Peavey needs?
Babies sleep - a lot.

I'm not jumping on you, I'm trying to find out where you are coming from and to try to understand your thought process. I'd hate to see you give up your fur family due to hormones.

This is the thread you posted when you got Peavey.
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=22956

RDavidP
03-07-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't have any kids myself, but do know that there are several here with kids of all ages and several dachshunds. Maybe they can give you advice on how they manage children and dogs, and how to help everyone, human and canine, adjust to the change of a new child in the family, among other concerns you may have. As the child gets older, Peavey will get even more attention now that he has his own little person to play with.

doxyzoo
03-07-2011, 11:14 AM
As the child gets older, Peavey will get even more attention now that he has his own little person to play with.

Excellent point.

I was raised with numerous dachshunds along with three sisters and a brother and I truly believe my life was much richer for the dogs in our family (still not sure about that brother, though :rotfl:).

Frzframe
03-07-2011, 11:30 AM
My brother just had a new baby and they have a VERY active dog (healer mix). While she doesn't get as much of mom's attention she still gets plenty while the baby is napping and when daddy is holding the baby. Plus mom is going back to work so that will mean even less time with her but she's a happy, pretty well adjusted dog (did I mention she's a healer mix?). Why not give it time and see how it goes after the baby is here for a few months instead of rushing to try to place him before the baby comes?

RosaC
03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
We have 9 dogs total, mostly Chihuahuas. We've been considering placing 3 of them, due to not having the time to give them the exercise and attention they need. My husband works nights, and sleeps during the day. It's extremely hard for me to take on the more exciteable dogs on my own, let alone being heavily pregnant. So, I'm basically alone most of the time, and I know it's gonna be nearly impossible for me to be able to exercise those boys they way they'll need after the baby arrives. I feel it's very unfair to the more active dogs to be cooped up all the time. I feel they would do wonderful in more active households at this point, and I know we're not going to be able to give them that. And, that adds to their excitement. I know alot of people feel it's no reason to place a dog, but I want what I feel is best for them.

I have never posted a dog on craigslist or anything like that, I feel that is just asking for trouble. We're looking for local families, that we know, but at this point, it seems that no one is willing to take in a dog, and we're not the type to ever send a dog to a shelter. They'll be here until they're able to find more appropriate homes.

SaxLady
03-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Just look at his sweet, trusting face! He has already been rehomed to you. How anyone could do this to him is beyond my comprehension. I agree with AgileOllie.

lotsadox
03-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Do you have a fenced yard? Dogs will exercise themselves in a fenced yard. Or sometimes just tossing the ball a few times will keep them happy. If you're having a normal pregnancy, you should be able to go outside and walk around with them and toss the ball a few times. Exercise is good when you're pregnant.

When we got Scooter I was working 2 jobs and my husband was working 10 hour days, 7 days a week AND we had 5 other dogs. Scooter was six months old and had the big dog energy (his lab/malamute genes). He used to run for a solid hour every morning and every evening. Did Scooter get enough attention? Probably not, but he's a happy dog now. He survived and probably better than being rehomed and having to adjust to a new pack. None of my dogs got enough attention during that period, but they are all okay. I've found that for most dogs being with their pack if infinitely more important than having someone playing with them a lot.

Two Red Smooth's
03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
You might be surprised...dogs adjust. I too was told for 20 years I could not have children. I had 2 super spoiled dogs (my time and money was theirs they were the babies). Joey was born with a birth defect which put him in the hospital for about 4 weeks total 3 weeks in Nicu (which I came home to sleep and shower) and then at a later time a few more days in PICU (I did not come home @ all during that stay) the poor dogs were crated 16 hours a day (a total first and hopefully last for them)... they did alright. Clay my spoiled princess with issues to being startled had never even been around a baby and J will be 18 months next week and we are all living happily under 1 roof. It's different but we've all adjusted (and much easier then I thought we would). During the day is my time with J. Clay and I have time once everyone is in bed (I'm a night owl so we have a few hours of us time late) and well Rocky is in bed with my husband and I and our time in the morning before Clay and J are up. My husband spends time with them after work and on his days off. It's different but they are our furst kids and have adjusted to the new home situation (they have a new hobby of sitting under the highchair as well).

AgileOllie
03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm not attacking you. And I know that you've already made up your mind. BUT. What are you going to do with child number 1 when/if you have child number 2? The same situation will present itself. Surely you wouldn't rehome child number one because you won't have time for him. Just as having more than one child, your love also grows with your pets. No, it's not easy at first. But what you're thinking of doing is unfair to your dogs. They ARE home. They will adjust. Will it be perfect at first? No, but they will surely be more happy at home with you, even with less exercise. I agree- if you have a fenced back yard, let them out for a few hours at a time. If you don't, invest in a large kenneled area. I know that having so many dogs seems daunting when adding a baby, but you chose that responsibility when you took them all in. It is your responsibility to follow through with them.

I went through hell with my second pregnancy with the hormones. I know how bad it can be. I also am glad I didn't make any rash decisions based on those hormones. Really glad.

We have 9 dogs total, mostly Chihuahuas. We've been considering placing 3 of them, due to not having the time to give them the exercise and attention they need. My husband works nights, and sleeps during the day. It's extremely hard for me to take on the more exciteable dogs on my own, let alone being heavily pregnant. So, I'm basically alone most of the time, and I know it's gonna be nearly impossible for me to be able to exercise those boys they way they'll need after the baby arrives. I feel it's very unfair to the more active dogs to be cooped up all the time. I feel they would do wonderful in more active households at this point, and I know we're not going to be able to give them that. And, that adds to their excitement. I know alot of people feel it's no reason to place a dog, but I want what I feel is best for them.

I have never posted a dog on craigslist or anything like that, I feel that is just asking for trouble. We're looking for local families, that we know, but at this point, it seems that no one is willing to take in a dog, and we're not the type to ever send a dog to a shelter. They'll be here until they're able to find more appropriate homes.

Lisa
03-07-2011, 02:18 PM
I've found that for most dogs being with their pack if infinitely more important than having someone playing with them a lot.
I totally agree with that. I know our dogs love us, but some days I swear they could care less if we are even home...well, except at dinner time.

No matter what the outcome, I hope it works out for you and Peavey.

bsquared
03-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I would recommend going to this site:
http://www.dogsandstorks.com/

Do you have a family member, a friend, a neighbor who could possibly help with exercising/walking the dogs? Talk to your vet...maybe there is someone he/she could recommend to come in and assist you.

areese
03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I can not for the life of me understand how someone could write this:

I don't get it either. I couldn't part with a dog after 2 years, it'd break my heart. I feel that he is a lucky little guy considering, I mean, if we hadn't swooped in when we did, there's no telling where he would have ended up. and then TWO YEARS later post on the same group that you are rehoming him.
And we are supposed to be as supportive as we were about you getting him?
don't think that's going to happen.

RustysMom
03-07-2011, 06:44 PM
I couldn't live with myself if I had to give up with one of my dogs or cats. I had a hard enough time giving my bunny to a new no dog home (btw, Amy, do you know how she's doing?) I don't want kids but you never know, it may happen or I may change my mind in the future. However I would never give up a pet to have a kid. They were here first and will be equally important to me.

Rae
03-07-2011, 08:30 PM
This is the thread you posted when you got Peavey.
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=22956

Gosh, Rosa. There's an awful lotta love in that post.

I am a one dog mom (well, here comes Trigger so make that two. Wait. I see Katie under the table. OK THREE.... lol) with no little people in the house or on the way, and I bet your mind is BLOWN with the pregnancy you thought could never happen (congratulations on that, BTW).

I am sure you had based your number of fur kids on the projected LACK of skin-kids in the future and hope you can work out a way to balance it all. Having no kids of my own, all I can say is good luck and that there are several members here who manage, and I have 100% faith in you that you can combine at least some of your furchildren with your new arrival.

Selfishly I hope Peavey is one of those that makes the cut :sillylove:

Linus
03-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I know that you've made up your mind, but I want to you REALLY stop and think.

They are all small dogs, and they don't need hours upon hours of exercise. You could angle a recliner to point down the hall, put your feet up, and throw a ball for 30 minutes and they'd be happy. No work on your part.

Dogs adjust. Even high energy dogs. Piper, my almost 3 year old lab/hound? mix is INSANE. Her nickname is Crazy Pants for a reason. We moved from a house with a huge yard for her to run around in to an 800 sq. ft apartment. She is absolutely fine. She entertains herself physically, and I make sure she gets worn out mentally and we're all good. I know you have 4 active dogs, but really, anyone that has met Piper can attest to her having enough energy for 10 dachshunds.

Please don't do something you are going to regret later. Because you will.

Patt
03-08-2011, 02:52 AM
Prayers and rays for the little guy---hope someone can help you...Just don't post about it on Craigslist...Are you giving up all your dogs?
ITA with Irma - DO NOT POST any of your dogs ON CRAIGSLIST - that is a list of sickos, dog fighters etc!!!

I'll have to agree little dogs are very satisfied just being with their humans, and Peavey can also adjust to that. You've done wonders for Peavey, and I would hate for him or any of your other furkids to end up in a bad place especially as bait. Please think long and hard before re-homing anyone.

OwnedByDoxies
03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
This post may not be well received but I am going to post it anyways....

July 2008 - 1 doxie, 1 chi, 1 poodle mix
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showpost.php?p=266843&postcount=1

Jan 2009 - adds Peavey and states has 4 others for a total of 5
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showpost.php?p=299568&postcount=1

Aug 2009 - 2 doxies, 4 chi, 1 poodle mix for a total of 7
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showpost.php?p=344378&postcount=1

May 2010 - sadly, Sandy Jo died
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showpost.php?p=382595&postcount=1

Jun 2010 - 1 doxie, 8 chi's for a total of atleast 9 dogs (maybe 10 if she still has previous poodle mix)
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showpost.php?p=384666&postcount=1

Aug 2010 - 3 out of 10 dogs have white nails
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showpost.php?p=392646&postcount=4

Dec 2010 - is now a chi breeder and Peavey is going to go get neutered (after she has had him almost 2 years, why so long...money, lazy or thinking of breeding?)
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showpost.php?p=407556&postcount=6

Now she currently has 9 dogs (what happened to 1, there were 10 in Aug???) and wants to downsize a couple due to baby on the way.

My take on this whole thing is while RosaC and her hubby may have had the best intentions....they are not the right home for so many animals and have absolutely no business being a breeder. In less than 3 years they have gone from 3 dogs to as many as 10. When you account for Sandy Jo, may she rest in peace, that means they have added atleast 8 dogs during that period.

While there are some people who have the mental, physical and economic means to make a good home for soooo many dogs, I just don't see that she does. Those angelic souls are few and far between. When a person adds 8 dogs to their household in less than three years I have to wonder if they have thought things through or just can't say no. Perhaps a fellow DLC'r has contacts with a rescue in her area that can help to make sure Peavey goes to a good home.

RosaC, I applaud that you realize you are overwhelmed and perhaps the baby is just the excuse you need to admit it to yourself. Please consider seriously getting out of breeding business and spay/neuter your remaining dogs. Please learn a lesson from all this. Animals are supposed to be a lifetime commitment and each one you add to your household should require long and serious thought before doing so. They should not be added on a whim or you end up quickly overwhelmed.

ice wolf
03-08-2011, 11:58 AM
I wish I could take him. He's adorable. I have a 1 year old and just got our first doxie together. Is it that you're concerned about timing with the baby, Peavey's future, or what? doxie's do not need a lot of exercise from what I've read and it would actually be good for you to keep him while pregnant. It would be encouragement to walk. I wasn't supposed to be able to get pregnant myself, so I understand the fears that come with that. Just really think about this before you give him away. There's never a guarantee they're going to a good home.

RustysMom
03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
someone asked if she had a fenced in yard and here is a post with a video of them playing in the snow. So she does. Look how happy Peavey is.

http://doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=31440

SaxLady
03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Carolyn, the information you posted is overwhelming. The situation is far more seriuos than we could imagine. Isn' there a limit in that town as to how many dogs are allowed per household? Has anyone contacted rescue to try and take care of these furbabies? I think we all feel helpless, shell shocked and very angry after learning all of this. Above everything, tremendous sympathy for Peavey and her other dogs.