PDA

View Full Version : Chuckle-man

michelehbc
03-07-2011, 10:46 PM
So, I was watching TV today, and I looked over at the other couch....two dogs. Where is Chuck? I looked all around and found him under the dining room table, SHAKING. VIOLENTLY. I picked him up and he yelped. So, naturally I had a OhHellNoNotMyBaby moment, called the doc and we got to the vet 30 minutes later.
Long story short, he has a ruptured disk and is on an anti inflammatory (Metacam) and a pain pill (Tramadol) and he is restricted to crateeee ressssttt.
We set the xpen up into a very small square so that he can lay on the floor near us and still be restricted in movement.
My poor dude. Many rayz would be appreciated. :hug99:

In other news, the vet I took him to is new to us, and they were AMAZING. I really like them.The loved sweet Chuck, too. They are the vet that April has always used for Gizmo, her chi that recently passed. I think we have a new vet :)

Lisa
03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
CRAP. As soon as I read your post on FB, I knew. :sosad: I was so hoping I was wrong.

The amazing news is you caught it so quickly and know the drill. 8 weeks, blah, blah, blah. I wish you lots of sanity rayz, and Chuck lots and lots of healing rayz. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

I am totally here for you if you need a shoulder of support. The Metacam and Tramadol will do wonders for your little man. The stress will come in 2 - 3 weeks when he is feeling better and walking normally, but you have to crack the whip and make sure he stay on full crate rest for the remaining 6 weeks. It is hard, but the disc not only has to heal but fully calcify. (sigh).

Love to you and to Chuck!! :bighug:

p.s. that is great that you found a wonderful new vet. If in a couple days he still seems in pain, you might need a muscle relaxer for him too.

lotsadox
03-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Oh, no! Poor Chuckle-man! Lisa is right. The crate rest and meds can work wonders. The craziness starts when he starts feeling better. Just stay tough and don't let him con you. Bogart wore a harness 24/7 for a few weeks so that I could put a leash on him before he got out of the crate so he couldn't get away from me. Little booger!

Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Chuck and :hug99::hug99::hug99: for you. I've been thru it, too. Call if you want to talk.

oceangirls
03-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Oh Chuckie :(... I am so sorry Chely :hug99:.

It will be a long haul, but he'll do just fine. Please post all frustrated whining rants you have here, where others have BTDT and can offer support.

All the rayz we got :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Rafi
03-07-2011, 11:34 PM
I agree with Patrice about the harness, as a matter of fact we are still keeping the harness on Pixel even though his free at last. Just in case he gets rowdy and we need to slow him down.

Get into a good routine for potty, if you need help with sling usage let us know, it was mentioned in Pixels thread as well.

Also, if there is any kind of guilt, get it out of your head (easier said than done), this is genetic.

We are here for support.:hug99::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

michelehbc
03-07-2011, 11:36 PM
He is walking fine, but he really just wants to lay right now, I set up the xpen and he is all snuggly. We go back to the vet in 2 weeks so she can look at him and see how he is doing. Sigh. This sucks.

Lisa
03-07-2011, 11:48 PM
This sucks.

YES IT DOES.

I am not trying to stress you out more, just letting you know that he will have some good and bad days. He might seem worse tomorrow in the morning and then better in the afternoon. Also Tramadol doesn't last long, so you need to properly space the dosage. Pixel was actually walking fine the first day, by day 2 he was doing the drunk sailor walk, then he lost some muscle mass and we really noticed it. It might not hurt to go to the drug store (or walmart) and buy the cheapest tensor bandage, just in case he does need the support first thing in the morning you are prepared.

:bighug:

AgileOllie
03-08-2011, 01:13 AM
I am so sorry Honey Bunny!!! I can only agree with what everyone else is saying. :bighug: I hope he's feeling better very soon. And YAY for finding a vet you love!

michelehbc
03-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Also, if there is any kind of guilt, get it out of your head (easier said than done), this is genetic.

it's hard when people keep asking me why he is hurt. Well, you see, I threw him across the yard, kicked him, and then swung him around by his front paws. Geeze. most people don't understand when I say it is genetic

AgileOllie
03-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Most people are morons :rolleyes: But seriously- you can use this as a way to educate. Still sucks that you and sweet Chuck have to go through it though.

it's hard when people keep asking me why he is hurt. Well, you see, I threw him across the yard, kicked him, and then swung him around by his front paws. Geeze. most people don't understand when I say it is genetic

ScarletBegonias
03-08-2011, 01:30 AM
poor chuckster! mega rays from my fam to yours!:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz ::hug99:

P.S. Is April thinking about adopting again anytime soon? I happen to have an adorable little chi girl sleepin on my feet right now!

michelehbc
03-08-2011, 02:48 AM
I don't care about doing the work to get him better, I will do anything he needs. We are broke, but we have a bank account that is solely for pet medical needs. I am ready to do whatever he needs. I just hate my dopey man being hurt. He is so not himself. I burst into tears at the vets office and she hugged me and said "I know, it is what a dachshund mommy dreads the most" (she's a keeper) I keep thinking of ways to blame myself (remember that time he jumped off of the couch and tripped! Remember when he ran at that squirrel and flipped himself clean over on his leash!) It suckolas big time.

alfina
03-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Oh, I am so sorry Michele. Plenty of rayz for Chuck and you!!! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Lisa
03-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Michele, I know how hard this is. I know blaming yourself is so easy. I have cried on Amy, Tonya, Kim, Linsey, Patrice, Paula and Amanda's (among many many others) shoulders looking for answers that just don't exist.

Right now, you have to focus on his recovery which means do not walk him under any circumstances. He gets lifted out to potty and his back supported, and lifted back into a crate. Otherwise, he can not be out and about or interact with the other dogs. The disk is extremely fragile right now and it has to be protected so no more fluid leaks and puts pressure on the spine.

Everything right now is day by day, but with some tough love you will make it through.

I agree with Tonya, you have to take this as a learning experience. With Pogo his disc ruptured and he required emergency surgery. Although it was one of the worst points in my life, I learned so much. However, I was all about surgery and didn't get the whole "conservative" treatment approach. Then it happened to Pixel and I learned even more about IVDD and the fact that conservative treatment can in fact work and surgery is not always required.

Don't forget to join Dodger's List for oodles of information.

Alex's Mom
03-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Ah, sweetie, I'm so so sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is, although it was a VERY long time ago that I went through it with Maxe, and don't have anything to add to what everyone else has said. Except to also stress that NOTHING YOU DID caused this. You can't wrap them in cotton batting and not let them be dogs (except for right now til he's healed, of course :)), they'd be so much unhappier that way. It's genetic. I know a couple of cases where dogs weren't actually doing anything at all when their discs blew...it just was time, as it were. You just concentrate on getting him better.

Here if you need me, love ya (and Chuck). many many MANY :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and just as many :hug99::hug99::hug99:. Keep us posted, ok?

areese
03-08-2011, 09:39 AM
It IS hard seeing them not themselves but be glad he isn't freaking dragging his rear...be glad you caught it early!!!! It was SOOO good you took him right in!!!!Conservative treatment will work and thank doG it's not so expensive. Just takes patience and determination. And keep him in the pen. he needs to be kept quiet and on a flat surface with stability (which is another reason the couch isn't a good idea right now, even if you are with him) For cuddly time, sit on the floor with him or in his pen with him. He hasn't lost function and you don't want him to!!!! Only out on a leash, right? and just enough walking time to let him potty...
Oh my poor adorable Chuck. I can only imagine how sad that long face is. But he'll be fine. 2 months out of his long happy life is just a liddle blip.
Call me anytime!
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: :hug99::hug99: :hug99::hug99::hug99:

HokieMom
03-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Sending lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and a couple of :hug99::hug99: for you!

Good luck and I hope the crate rest works and Chuck doesn't need anything else!

RustysMom
03-08-2011, 09:50 AM
oh no Poor Chuck!

many :hug99: and :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

lotsadox
03-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Most people are morons :rolleyes:

Boy, isn't that the truth? Use it as an opportunity to educate them. Or just ignore them.

Don't worry about crying at the vet's office. I blubbered all over my vets office twice when Bogart was having back problems. I apologized and my vet just said "It's okay. After all. it's BOGART". Your new vet sounds great. She gets it.

I agree with Amy. A flat supportive surface is important. When he was several weeks into his crate rest (and when the vet said it was okay) I used to sit on the floor with Bogart and hold his leash so he could have some out of crate time but not risk hurting himself. I even put pillows around us as a barracade. :rotfl: Yeah, I was more than a little paranoid.

It's so easy to blame yourself, but really it is genetic. One of the Dodger's List women told about her dog rupturing a disc by wiggling around when she was holding him! Don't worry about blame, just worry about getting him well. :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Opaleyz
03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
So sorry to hear about Chuck :sosad:

But you know what you are doing & getting the help you need and we are all rooting for him & you! Lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: on the way!

Lisa
03-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Call me anytime!
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: :hug99::hug99: :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Take her up on that! Amy knows so much and is a very comforting person to speak to. She helped beyond belief the two times I have been though it.

Frzframe
03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: For Mr. Chuck and many :hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99: for you.

LexieLuvr
03-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I had a whole litany typed out and lost it. My Jack went down twice; the first time he recovered with meds, crate rest, acupuncture and VOM. The second time, a year later, he needed surgery and had that done last August. When he went down, I was a MESS! I've had dachsies for over 25 years, had one prior dachsie with back issues, but I was still a MESS! You can do it -- take it one day at a time, log on to Dodgerslist and read, read, read. As long as Chuck can be where you are, he'll be relatively happy in his crate. We fixed up our crate for Jack on a dolly, and just "dollied" him around the house. He wasn't thrilled, but he did well. I'll be happy to help you, too; just pm me and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk. YOU CAN DO THIS!! Try to keep upbeat, because attitude is important in their recovery. Again: feel free to pm me for my number and I'll be happy to give you support and advice. Sounds like you have a bery.good.vet, too, which is wonderful!! Many get-well :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigr ayz: for your Chuck.:hug99: Truly, it's harder on us than it is on them.:hug99:

michelehbc
03-08-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm looking into strollers so he can go around the house with us, but hot dang they are expensive :rotfl::rotfl: Going to look for a used one on Ebay...:crossfin:

Lisa
03-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm looking into strollers so he can go around the house with us, but hot dang they are expensive :rotfl::rotfl: Going to look for a used one on Ebay...:crossfin:

Check out Craig's list and kijiji to. :crossfin:

lotsadox
03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
They are expensive! Here's the one I got for Bogart. http://www.catalogfavorites.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=V65256&usrsearch=stroller It's not that well made, but got me thru his crate rest and followup and is still working for 50 bucks.

Lisa
03-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Here is one. $25 bucks.

http://greenville.ebayclassifieds.com/accessories/seneca/2-dog-pet-stroller/?ad=8854076

Rae
03-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Here is one. $25 bucks.

http://greenville.ebayclassifieds.com/accessories/seneca/2-dog-pet-stroller/?ad=8854076

behold the power of DLC and the rest of the internet. :bow: all hail Lisa!!

AmyinFL
03-08-2011, 07:46 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Chuck! and lots of :hug99::hug99::hug99: for you!

michelehbc
03-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I contacted the person with the stroller- it is still available! :crossfin:

update: It's for tiny breeds. poop. The search continues! :)

Kasianni
03-13-2011, 12:56 AM
So sorry to hear about Chuck, sending lots of :bigrayz: for a speedy recovery.

lotsadox
03-18-2011, 09:20 AM
How are you and the Chuckleman doing? :scratch:

bittyup
03-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Poor Chuckleman :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:for a speedy recovery!

Tex
03-19-2011, 09:55 PM
I know I'm super late here, but I do know what you're going through (as so many of us have had a pup need crate rest or surgery). Yes, it does suck, big time. No, it's not your fault, in any way. You can and will get through this (with lots of patience and hugs from the DH and Stink & Brown). Super duper :bighug: coming at you from Texas!!!!!!