PDA

View Full Version : How can i train lucky not to bark at strange dogs?

prettybutterfly
03-19-2006, 12:45 AM
he only does this when meeting them at first and when the dog just stays there and doesn't attempt to play with him he starts barking. the owner gets suprised and i feel bad.

Lisa
03-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Good question, I would be interested in this too as it is something Pixel does. One important question is though, how is Lucky's body language? Is his tail wagging...does he just want to play?

prettybutterfly
03-19-2006, 05:26 PM
tail wagging a mile a minute and yes i think he wants to play. i just think other dogs are like " what do you want' and the owners don't seem to like it. i tell them he just wants to play, but i'm worried it comes across as lack of good manners.

Patt
03-20-2006, 03:40 AM
It sounds like a happy "meet and greet" to me. Are you taking him to obedience school? Is it possible to exercise him before meeting other dogs? Both would get rid of some of the energy and make things easier for you and him.

Anatresia
03-20-2006, 08:46 AM
I wish I had the answer to that. Miss Rigby barks, shows her teeth and gets really nasty and aggressive towards other dogs (but she is submissive to other dachshunds, which I guess is a good thing?) I wish she'd be more friendly! Obedience training is not helping her. She just does this to all of the dogs in the class.

jenfer
03-20-2006, 12:35 PM
The only thing I can think of is whenever you go out with your dog bring some yummy treats. So whenever there are other dogs approaching, get their attention so they will focus on you rather than other things. It worked (most of the time) for us. We learned something called "circle work" in agility, which basically happen is I have my index finger out (like i am pointing to something) and Gigi will know to watch my finger and follow me whereever I am going. Pretty useful. If anyone wants to know more about circle work, feel free to ask me.

Chris
03-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Alex has the typical "way deeper and more resonant than my size" dachshund bark. What we do is just "translate for him". We tell the owner (if Al and Ollie's tails are wagging) that dachshunds have really loud barks for their size and they just want to play. Usually, the owner will relax, and then the dog will relax because of it...and my dogs being quiet and sniffing will ensue. Usually, they just want the other dog to "participate' or acknowledge them and then they are fine.

If my boys are barking that more "rapidfire" bark that is not "let's play" but "get out of here you stranger!" that is a different story. If the situation is indeed "okay", I calm my boys down or if worse comes to worse just remove them from the situation (one of us walks them while the other finishes their conversation.). If they are barking because the dog is on our property, I pat them because they are good boys for letting me know that a stranger is coming onto our property and then calm them down and let them know THIS stranger is okay.