PDA

View Full Version : Well, here's the story I promised

blueyezz74
03-25-2011, 12:41 AM
The end of May 2010, Max started to drunk walk. I took him to our vet and saw a vet that was new. She felt it was a pulled muscle and gave me a prescription for rimadryl. he next day he was dragging his legs. So back to the vet. This vet thought of IVDD. Max got a steroid injection and some steroids to take. A week later we too him up to Red bank Animal Hospital where there is a good surgeon that works there called Dr Glass. The doctor said he was a good canidadate for back surgery so Max has it the next day. Spent 8 weeks on crate rest. He started to walk and run like normal again.

As of last Sunday he started to drunk walk again. I got him to the emergency vet that night. He for 3 prescriptions for dexamethasone, tramadol and a muscle relaxer.A few days later my vet gave him a steroid shot. Then again on Monday he had another one. She also switched him to predisone instead of the dexamethasone. They seem to be helping. He's not weightbearing but he can still move the legs and tail. He also still has bowel and bladder control.

Tomorrow we have a consult with an acupuncturist. Let's see if that does anything. :please:

Red Haired Girl
03-25-2011, 05:52 AM
It is so hard to see them like this. Mitch is in a crate right now. Today is the start of week #2. He is getting better slowly, but surely. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Max.

alfina
03-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Hope Max gets better soon. Here are some :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Lisa
03-25-2011, 07:53 AM
On December 18th, Pixel did the drunk walk. We did conservative therapy, which included Pred, tramadol and 8 weeks of crate rest. At week 4 we brought him to a re-hab facility and we started doing controlled exercises along with crate rest.

He is now perfect, conservative treatment can work if you fully commit to it. Although, I am first to admit there are lots of ups and downs. We had to use a harness and sling to support Pixel for about 3 weeks before he was able to weight bear on his left leg, now he puts all his weight on his left and lifts his right :)

I am truly sorry you are having to go through this with your little guy. We do have members that can commiserate with you through this stressful time. Lots and lots of rayz being sent out to Max. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz::bigrayz:

lotsadox
03-25-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm so sorry about Max. I've had 2 dogs come back with crate rest and meds. It can be done if you really commit to it. As Lisa said, there are a lot of ups and downs, but we can help you thru it.

Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Max and :hug99::hug99::hug99: for you!

thejen57
03-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Oh my... so sorry for you Max... here you go buddy :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Do all Dachshunds end up with back trouble? This is my first one and I have ramps but he won't use them. Just wondering.

LexieLuvr
03-25-2011, 11:30 AM
How awful! I'm so sorry. 6-8 weeks of strict crate rest, plus meds, will hopefully resolve the situation. I'd try acupuncture, too. Did he have crate rest after his surgery? Please keep us posted. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

BTW, no, not all dacshunds have back problems. I've had probably 6 dacshunds and two of them have had back issues needing surgery. If you have a ramp, you MUST train them very patiently and consistently. They WILL learn to use it, if you are persistent enough.

blueyezz74
03-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Max had his first acupuncture treatment today. They won him over with peanut butter. Both of his legs have reflexes but his left side is worse. I'm going back for 2 more treatments next week and then probably every week for a few more weeks. Let's hope he responds well to it. :crossfin:

After his surgery in June, he was on 8 weeks of crate rest. He started to "walk" about his 3rd week after the surgery but we kept it only to potty breaks. I also had him swimming in the bathtub to strengthen his legs. Watching those legs move put a smile on my face.

Lisa
03-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Yay Max! I have heard amazing things about acupuncture. Please keep us up to date on his progress. More rayz for Max. :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

lotsadox
03-25-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm so glad he's responding to the acupuncture. I've heard good things about it but have no first hand experience with it. Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

blueyezz74
03-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Day #1 after acupuncture:

His legs were moving when he's been out to potty! I also noticed that he can bear a little weight.

The doctor showed me techniques to get his nerves responding. Rub your fingers between his toes until he kicks his leg. He's done it with both legs yesterday and today. Nice strong kicks too.

She wants to see him back 2 more times this week and then once a week. I really do hope this works. I'm not ready to buy a cart!

AmyinFL
03-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Way to go Max!!! :)

:yourock2:

ice wolf
03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
sounds like things are going well. :D Rowan and Aidan wish him luck and so do I. :D :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigr ayz::bigrayz: for him.

Alex's Mom
03-28-2011, 06:36 AM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: that things are going so well!!! Acupuncture can work wonders, as can chiro when appropriate. Wendal and Alex are both shining examples of that!!!

And no, not all dachsies end up with back issues. Of the 6 I've had, only Maxe had issues; she first went down when she was 6, and in those days surgery wasn't an option, at least in this neck of the woods. She did fine with meds and crate rest, and although she had repeated episodes, I got so that I recognized the symptoms VERY early on, and started meds/crate rest immediately. She lived to be 15, and was totally mobile until she crossed. Alex never had disk issues, although she did have spinal bone spurs and some compression. So far :crossfin::crossfin: these guys are fine, although I worry about Wendal because crating him isn't possible because of his past (he freaks out in a crate) and surgery of any kind is totally out because of his heart. I watch him like a hawk.

Keep us posted, ok? :hug99::hug99:

blueyezz74
04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Max just had his 3rd acupuncture appointment.

He started to walk a little a few days ago when on his potty break. His legs seem to get stronger by the day. Today he was standing inh is crate on the way to the appointment in the car. During the insertion of the needles he wanted to stand so the tech helped support his butt.

Our next acupunture will be in 1 week. The doctor feels that he's doing great. :cheer3:

Last week she recommended a supplement called Neuroplex. I've been giving him 1 a day. The doctor said she was skeptical at first about it but she now believes it helps. Here's a link:

http://www.standardprocess.com/display/StandardProcessCatalog.spi?ID=108

She's also recommending a more balance diet for his "Chi" health. Today she told me that her appointment before me said that she buys sweet potatoes and bakes them in the oven to makes chips. Her dogs love them. I may try this.

lotsadox
04-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Standard Process supplements are awesome! I've used them on my dogs and then on myself for years. My vet does classic homeopathy and Standard Process are about the only supplements she uses. Both she and my holistic nutritionist say that they are the best. They're processed correctly so that the potency is very strong and they are very pure. I think Bogart was on Neuroplex after his back problems, too. Ligaplex I and II (usually I at the onset of the problems and II later on) are good for the joints and Boswellia (Mediherb) is good as an anti-inflammatory also. My vet has prescribed those for all my dogs that have had back problems.

I'm so glad that Max is doing so well. :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: