PDA

View Full Version : Hotel California?

Frankie'sMom
03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Of course my little angel gets excited when folks come to visit. He lets them in with lots of happy barking and then gives lots of sweet doggy kisses if they allow. But when they try to leave he turns into a devil doggy. He will try to block the door and bark his little head off when they make moves to begin leaving. As if his little body is going to stop someone. If there are hugs involved with the goodbye process he goes nuts. He might seriously bite someone in his hysteria if close enough. I hold him which just makes it worse. Any advice for me as how to curtail this inappropriate and annoying behavior?

Linus
03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
There's an actual reason behind this, but it escapes me right now. The easiest way to prevent injury is to crate him when it is time for everyone to leave. Give him a stuffed kong, some treats, a favorite toy, and don't let him say goodbye. Its much easier than dealing with a bite.

Lisa
03-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Hotel California is one of my favorite lines, and it sounds so true in Frankie's case... You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave (now I got the song in my head :) ).

I like Linsey's advice. I think so many issues can be overcome with training and positive re-enforcement. You really need to work with him on what behavior is expected when people enter and when they leave.

I know Patrice (lotsadox) worked with hers for when people entered the house. She gave them a specific marker (doggie bed) for them to go and lay on when people entered the house. Hopefully, she sees this and can add more on how she did it. But if you have nice neighbours, maybe ask them to come over 3 - 4 times on Saturday and Sunday and then sporadically through the next few weeks, just so Frankie can practice.

Alex's Mom
03-31-2011, 08:49 AM
I had the same problem with Alex, and now James does this too, and Wendal (aka Mr. Monkey See Monkey Do) is picking up on it. I don't know why James does it, but Alex started doing it because by the time she came along Maxe had become pretty deaf, and didn't hear people come in, but saw them go out and so would bark then :rolleyes:. Alex was a puppy and decided that that's what one does when people leave!!! (Of course, she was incredibly antisocial too :sosad: so I'd just put her in the bedroom as people were getting ready to go.) With James, it's insane, because he's all hugs and kisses and tail wagging when people come in. Maybe he's feeling socially isolated and hates people leaving him? :rotfl: Anyway, I usually just hold him when they're going out, or else put him outside when people are getting ready to go. It's totally associated with them actually going out the actual door for some reason.

lotsadox
03-31-2011, 09:20 AM
I did teach Scooter to go to his crate when people came in because he was so bad about barking and trying to eat them. :rolleyes: It works very well and can be used to whenever you want them to be out of the way. We've now switched it to "upstairs" and I put him in the sewing room.

I did clicker training which worked very well with him. Let me see if I can find the website I used.

areese
03-31-2011, 09:49 AM
I think I saw this issue maybe on It's me or The Dog or something but can't remember what they did, specifically.
I would keep in mind that it is always more effective to train a dog what TO DO, than what NOT to do.
So, I would practice having him going to a spot and sitting. On his bed, or on a mat, or whatever. Click and treat that like crazy (if you use clicker...if not..I'd learn :) Then practice with people, like Lisa suggested.
or figure out where you want him to go or what you want him to do when people leave. It can't be vague-it has to be easily understood and the SAME every time. Work on that criteria, remembering to be consistent and precise and clear in what you want.

lotsadox
03-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Here's the thread that I posted about my problems with Scooter. http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=20851&highlight=clicker

It contains the links on clicker training that Courtney gave me that helped me a lot. It works on the principal that Amy mentioned about training a dog to do something instead of training him not to do something. This gives him something to do when people come to the door (it could be used when they leave) instead of just freaking out.

Frankie'sMom
04-01-2011, 03:13 PM
You are all a wealth of information and experience! Thanks for the replies, I will be reading the links posted and look into ordering a clicker. I must get my beast of minute proportions on the right track soon, it is rather embarrassing when Mr Love Bug turns into a devil doggy.

lotsadox
04-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I've had good luck with clicker training. There's an excellent book on using clicker training for the more, shall we say hard to train, breeds. :lol: It's called "When Pigs Fly". Some of the techniques take a lot of time and patience, but work really well. I really need to get back to working with my dogs on it. It's great.