PDA

View Full Version : Fleas!

alfina
04-19-2011, 10:00 AM
I use Frontline Plus and apply it at the beginning of every month. I did skip last month (March) because I have not had any problems. I did apply at the beginning of April. Last Friday Sofie started just chewing herself. I looked but I did not see anything. But I did see her and Sebastian in hot pursuit of a wild rabbit in our back yard. So, I thought they may have picked one or two from it. I applied more Frontline on Friday and actually had to put a cone on Sofie because she was just eating herself raw. She is not itching any more, but today I saw a flea on her AND on Sebastian I saw 2. Since I just applied Frontline on them, what do you suggest I do now?

ice wolf
04-19-2011, 10:28 AM
I use Frontline Plus and apply it at the beginning of every month. I did skip last month (March) because I have not had any problems. I did apply at the beginning of April. Last Friday Sofie started just chewing herself. I looked but I did not see anything. But I did see her and Sebastian in hot pursuit of a wild rabbit in our back yard. So, I thought they may have picked one or two from it. I applied more Frontline on Friday and actually had to put a cone on Sofie because she was just eating herself raw. She is not itching any more, but today I saw a flea on her AND on Sebastian I saw 2. Since I just applied Frontline on them, what do you suggest I do now?

How exactly does the Frontline stuff work? Is it supposed to kill fleas or is it just supposed to stop the itching?
I suggest looking at the package and calling their hotline thing to see if you can use a flea spray or shampoo in association with it. Or take them to a groomer and ask the groomer's advice?

oceangirls
04-19-2011, 01:16 PM
We just had an appt with a new vet today, and he strongly recommended Comfortis, as it starts killing fleas immediately. I looked at the package insert and I didn't see anything about needing a washout period after giving a different type of flea product, but of course you would check with your vet anyway.

http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/

Lisa
04-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I would also suggest DE on all the dog beds and wash all the bedding in hot water where they sleep.

Anti flea :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Alex's Mom
04-19-2011, 01:55 PM
No advice...I confess I've never ever had to deal with flea problems :). But tons of flea-be-gone :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: coming at ya!

lotsadox
04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
I don't really have many flea problems. When I do, I do a flea bomb on the house (one of the ones that you buy at Petsmart/Petco, not the kind you get at Lowe's or Home Depot) and wash all the dogs and all their bedding. Then I use DE on the bedding and we're usually good to go.

You can get Halo's Cloud Nine Dip and make it into a spray to use on the dogs. It's made with essential oils and can be used with topical flea treatments.

AmyinFL
04-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I have seen several more sites and posts elsewhere that really recommend the DE for fleas. We take the girls back to the vet tomorrow for boosters, so I am going to ask about it. What about Capstar? I think it is safe to use with topical flea prevention and is supposed to kill fleas that are on the pet within 24 hours. Never heard too much about capstar though, so you might want to ask around.

alfina
04-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I called our vet and they suggested Comfortis. I am a bit nervous to use it right after applying Frontline. I do have Halo dip. Maybe I'll try it first.

I called my pest control that does the lawn and they are going to come and spray the yard. But they say it only kills the fleas that are adult. In 10-14 days you have to repeat.

AmyinFL
04-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Took the girls to the vet today and the doctor highly recommended Comfortis. We went ahead and got a 6 month supply there, which will last us 3 months for them. :) It was MUCH cheaper at the vet than online stores. Compare $96 to $65. I was in shock! The girls tolerated it very well. The vet recommended having them eat a full meal first, then give it. They didn't have an outbreak or anything, but in FL we get lots of fleas. I did find a dead one on Sasha about an hour later. Good luck!

Patt
04-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Don't panic, finding a flea or two does not mean your place is infested with fleas. Give the Frontline time to work. I now use Comfortis and it does the job. I would suggest you wait a month and try Comfortis. Please do not use any dip or spray along with Frontline, you may cause a toxic reaction.

Capstar is non-toxic and kills fleas within 30 mins and works for 24 hours. If you don't have a real flea problem this might work for you.

Use one product at a time do not mix.

If you are still in doubt about Frontline call their 800 number and ask their advice.