View Full Version : Vaccine after effects??

Mama S.
03-20-2006, 01:55 PM
I've had dogs for years, have never had any problems at all with shots. This lump with Hershey has me weirded out. It is getting smaller and smaller with that NASTY FOUL smeeling liquid I put on it. He had no other problems - eating drinking breathing, pottying fine just that lump. Doc wasn't alarmed - said he had switched to a new company vaccine and was seeing this. Said from now on they'll give him a shot of benadryl before his shots.
Anyone with experience? Am I just being melodramatic cuz it's da Hersheybar??
SAndi

Patt
03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Hmmm dogs don't usually get lumps after vaccines but cats do! Possibly the company he bought the vax from have made a change in the composition of the drug. I'm curious which vax was this one, rabies or DHPP?

Sending go away bump :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to Hershey.

Bella's Mom
03-20-2006, 02:29 PM
That sounds unusual. I know Bella has to have benadryl before each of her annual shots this year because she had a reaction. If I was the vet I would be questioning the vaccines he's received from the new company. Hoping Hershey continues to feel better! :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

lotsadox
03-20-2006, 02:33 PM
I had the same thing happen to Bogart years ago. It was from his rabies vaccine. He still has a small bump, almost more like a thickening of the skin on that spot. My vet told me that she had several dogs get them from that batch of vaccine. When she called the manufacturer they were like "Oh, well, it wasn't anything serious"! That's just one of the reasons that I don't vaccinate any more than I have to by law. :mad2:

Jen
03-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Tasha never had a lump from vaccines, but she's not due for her rabies shot till next year.

Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Hersheybar and a :bighug: for his wonderful mom!

Alex's Mom
03-20-2006, 03:28 PM
I never had any problems with Alex and vaccines (although she hasn't had any shots other than rabies in a few years...no need at her age) But I've certainly had my horse react the way you describe, expecially to the flu/rhino shot. It's not an uncommon thing in horses, apparently, and usually ges away with no lasting effects after a day or so. :bigrayz: for Hershey that it's nothing serious!