PDA

View Full Version : Alex

Chris
05-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi everyone,

Alex would like you to know that he is doing very well these days. He is not in any pain. He walks around the yard and goes potty outside all by himself without supervision (well, people are out with him but he needs zero assistance). His left leg is 100% healed and his right leg is back to about 85% or more function I would say(but then I see him everyday - people who haven't seen him in awhile notice the dramatic difference more) Last time I checked in I think it was zero or close to nothing. His muscles are strong and all the atrophy in his right leg is gone. He even does the happy doxie dance, wags a lot and does the occasionally zoom in the yard - of course, as much as a dignified almost 13 year old zooms (He'll be 13 tomorrow!). He is getting around very, very well. He never ended up getting a cart and I am glad in the end he didn't need one.

He went out on a trail for a little bit the first time this season and did really well. We didn't go very far, a very short distance. and he was off leash and was allowed to go at his pace to check things out. He hasn't walked on the leash with his brother as for those that know Ollie - Ollie has a sweeping diagonal walking style (he walks in a zig zag that I can't quite seem to crack. Even if the leash is short he does a steady even zig zag to get every scent in). I just don't want him knocked over.

The only thing he has trouble with is on my parents slippery linoleum when we are over there. He doesn't trip or slip - it is just when he is sitting, he has learned that when he wants to move like a speed demon, he can just sit down and pivot himself in a sitting position (not a drag). He does not do this on the grass or sidewalk or carpet or wood, and he does get up and move when he wants to get clear across the kitchen but for small distances, he does not bother with it. I don't know if he cannot get enough traction or he is just being efficient. I have been watching it - it is definitely a huge improvement and I will definitely take it over the dragging or not walking at all that he was doing at the beginning of this journey.

Anyway, I am so glad that I went with the no surgery option with much suggestion and support. I look forward to continued improvements. I was so worried that I was going to lose him. I hope I have many more senior years to look forward to with him.

I might even take him to the doggie bakery tomorrow to get him a special treat.

lotsadox
05-11-2011, 10:26 PM
:cheer3::cheer3: That's great news, Chris :cheer3::cheer3: I'm so glad he's doing so well. Thanks for updating us.

Lisa
05-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Chris, I have been thinking about you and Alex. I was so thrilled to read your post. What a wonderful update. :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

areese
05-12-2011, 07:52 AM
YAY!!!:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: I'm soooo glad he's doing well. see, I told you he wouldn't need a cart!!!!!:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: He'll continue to improve with that one leg with continued use!!

RustysMom
05-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Wonderful News!!! Thank you so much for giving us an update on Alex!

:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

LexieLuvr
05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Incredible news!!! So happy to hear this. :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Chris
05-12-2011, 05:04 PM
I will admit his usual around the house gait is not quite as speedy as it once was, but I will definitely take it. He can move quickly when he really wants to, though. He tried to make a break for it down the hill trying to get to some horse poop a few weeks ago and I had to be quick. It surprised the heck out of me that he could go as fast as he could. Luckily I headed him off. (don't worry, there were no horses around - he couldn't have gotten hurt)

lotsadox
05-12-2011, 05:10 PM
It's amazing how fast they can move when they want to. After Bogart's back problems I thought "Heck, he's 15 and had back problems. How much is going to be doing?" After he was healed I took him outside off leash and put him down and he took off! Running! :shocked:

Rae
05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
So glad to hear a good report. After Duchie learned that slick surfaces can make her hurt herself, she has pretty well refused to walk on them. Our hardwood floors are a maze of rugs, but hey, she IS the Duchess :)

Happy trails to you and Alex, and again so happy to hear the good good news!

wawailc
05-13-2011, 10:32 AM
:cheer3: Oh that is excellent news! I'm glad he's mobile again.

Alex's Mom
05-13-2011, 10:58 AM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: SO glad to see this update, Chris!!! :hug99::hug99: (It gave me a bit of a start to see a thread called "Alex" I must admit!!!:hearts::hearts: Wondered if there was a ghost in the machine...literally :rotfl: )

Chris
09-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Just thought I would give an update.

Alex had a minor set back shortly after I posted last, but is now more solid than ever. I try not to overtax him, though. He goes on very short walks. He doesn't go on our old 1 mile walks anymore. Ollie does and zips along the whole time, but Al gets a shorter walk and a carry just to be on the safe side. He swam once this summer but not for long. I now need to buy him a harness because he has been off leash for so long. He was the dog that has not strayed farther than 3 feet from me, and now he has his confidence back. He still gets a little upset when i leave which he has been doing since his initial episode, but its not nearly as bad as it was.

I was worried when we had a cold snap for a few days and it was in the 50s and damp that he would have trouble as before he went down, the cold damp weather really seemed to bother him, but he had no trouble and was actually peppier just because I think he was relieved it wasn't in the 90s anymore.

I saw photos of him a few months ago and he looked like such an old dog, and now I look at him he looks a little less like that. He is 13, now, after all but i think, at least to me, he looks a bit younger again.

Anyway, that is new with the wobbly weenie and like I say, I am trying to not let him overtax himself in any way. Overall, he just seems to be a really happy dog who loves life. Oh, and his brother is doing well too.Ol is already 8, can you believe it. His muzzle is turning gray, but other than that, Ollie still has the energy of a puppy.

Rae
09-13-2011, 07:44 AM
After having one with health issues it's amazing how thankful we are for good health! I am so Glad that Alex is doing so well. You've obviously been a great servant ... Ummmm... Parent..... And it's great to hear he's doing his thing :)

lotsadox
09-13-2011, 08:42 AM
It's sounds like you've done a really good job with Alex and his recovery :thumbsup: Keep up the good work. :cheer3::cheer3:

Chris
09-14-2011, 01:55 AM
I think the credit goes all to Alex. His body was just ready. I notice the stance in his back legs is slightly wider when he is standing in one place for a period of time, but other than that, he looks pretty normal.

I think living in our own place without so much commotion all the time has really helped him. He can just hang out and walk around whenever he wants and its not the case where he is only allowed in certain rooms that weren't connected to each other so he got carried a lot in between rooms or he tended to want to be within a few feet of me when he had his freedom. He still likes to keeps close tabs, but now he just gets carried down the steps to go outside, otherwise he is on his own steam.

LexieLuvr
09-14-2011, 11:24 AM
LOVE the update!! So glad to hear that.

It's been just over a year since Jack's surgery, and he, too, is doing amazingly well. He runs, "bunny hops," and is about 98% of what he was prior to going down. His surgeon did an incredible job!