PDA

View Full Version : Calvin released from lockdown-now what??

Yolie
05-25-2011, 11:21 PM
So Calvin has been doing really, really well, he saw his doctor on the 10th and she said "give him 2 weeks of supervised release and then he is free to live his life". Um wait, thats it, just let him out???? He is still walks sideways, falls on anything slick and doesn't think there is anything at all wrong with him. Oh and I think he must of heard her because he has been looking at us two weeks to the day she said that, standing in his pen, saying "The doctor said I was good to go, whats up? Why am I still in here???"

Needless to say, he is still in lockdown. He is being released on his own (supervised of course, but not leashed) in the backyard and in the house, which by the way is lined with a barage of multi-colored throw rugs...looks great-um not really. But anyway...I am not comfortable just going to work for 10 hours hoping that he will be fine while me and hubby are gone. He will try to run, jump on the couch and play with his brother and sister, who can't wait for him to be released.

Sooooo. For those who went through this, how did you transition them? How do I keep him from jumping on the couch and possibly falling while I am not at home (and while I am at home and turn my head for a second). And how do I keep him kinda low key until he gets stronger in his legs(so he won't walk sideways and tip over)? He has a therapy session tomorrow so I am hoping to learn some exercises for strength. I know the doc said he is ready to go, but his mom and his dad do not feel he is quite ready to be a big boy on his own yet.

I would appriciate any advise on how you handled the situation and the things that you did to make the transition safe. Really looking for some ideas around the couch issue as all the dogs go up there on their own so I am sure he will try as soon as he is released :-(
thx!
yolie

Lisa
05-26-2011, 07:38 AM
You only have one dog, right? The reason I ask is I personally would handle the situation differently with one dog vs. multiple (but again, that is just me).

I would keep him on crate rest except when you are home and can watch him 100% of the time. NO STAIRS, NO JUMPING. It is awesome you are seeing a PT, he/she will give you some exercises to start doing. I did post a Pixel update a while back that listed some of what we were doing. Basically, now you want to strengthen the muscles in his legs and reconnect the nerves from his brain to his feet.

If you have other dogs, I would only allow minimal interaction. A couple of reasons, First, Calvin is still weak; second, you don't want heavy dog play to risk further injury. As the two weeks wind down you can increase interaction slowly.

As for the slippy surfaces, Pixel does still have issues. We followed Patrice's advice and put carpet runners in high Pixel traveled areas to make it easier for him to get around. He is better on these surfaces, but not perfect.

Glad to read such a wonderful update. :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

Keep us posted. Glad this journey is almost over for you and Calvin.

lotsadox
05-26-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm glad Calvin's doing so well! :cheer3::cheer3:

I transitioned Bogart gradually. First, walking on a leash only, then walking loose on carpet but in a confined area. Mostly in the den on the carpet at first.

I kept him crated while I was at work for the rest of his life. I keep all of my dogs crated while I work for their safety and my peace of mind. I put 2 crate pads and a lot of blankets in there so if he had an accident it wasn't a big deal. You could also get an Xpen to use for him during the day. It would allow him a bit more room, but keep him from doing anything you don't want him to while you are gone.

Since Bogart was older, there wasn't really a problem with him wanting to play, but I did have to watch Scooter around him. He's so big and rambunctious. At first, I would put Scooter outside to allow Bogart to walk around the house loose. I gradually allowed him to be loose with the other dogs. Since Bogart was so small, the doggie door was always difficult for him which was actually a good thing. That way he didn't go outside with the other dogs without my knowing it.

I'm glad you're getting him to rehab. Let us know how you do. :cheer3::cheer3:

Yolie
05-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the tips, I think I am on track as many of those things I have already been doing. I actually have 3 doxies, Calvin and Scarlett wiegh about the same and Marley is bigger by say 3 lbs or so. With the exception of the first two weeks all the dogs have been out togther. They would walk beside Calvin as we took him potty and now as he is doing his walks in the backyard. They used to like to chase each other around before the surgery but right now the other dogs know they can't do that, so they just walk beside him, its pretty cute.

Went to therapy yesterday. Wow! not what I expected. Calvin's care with the doctor and the facility has been stellar and this was no exception. They spent 1 1/2 hours with him, and I say they because there were two therapists with him for the entire time. For Calvin he thought it was a huge play fest. They made everything a game and he was wagging his tail the entire time. I figured he would be wiped out when he got home, but nope the terrier in him was still ready to go, he finally conked out around 8pm and slept through the whole night. They sent us home with a ton of exercises disguised as play for us to continue to do with him. It was $150.00 but totally worth it.

I know I have been really lucky with Calvin and from the comments from the doctor, nurses and the therapists yesterday I know his recovery has been above average. I can see improvements daily as he gets stronger and stronger and back to his normal self. I know Calvin still has a ways to go, but I am so thankful for his recovery so far.

Just wanted take a moment and say :thankyou: for the support that I have gotten from everyone. I really appriciate it.

yolie

Lisa
05-27-2011, 11:48 AM
$150 for 1 1/2 = AMAZING. That is a really phenomenal deal, and they do sound fantastic.

Keep doing what you are doing, because you are clearly doing wonderful.

:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

lotsadox
05-27-2011, 01:06 PM
$150 for 1 1/2 = AMAZING. That is a really phenomenal deal, and they do sound fantastic.

Keep doing what you are doing, because you are clearly doing wonderful.

:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

:ditto::ditto::ditto:

LexieLuvr
05-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Lots of great tips given. When we aren't home, we now have a baby gate to totally block off the family room which has couches to jump on and although we have a ramp, Jack's bad about using it. I just gave him more and more freedom, gradually, as mentioned by the others. I don't keep him kenneled all day when nobody's home, but do make sure the baby gate is up. He's been fine, so far, and waits for someone to come home and let him out (and uses the ramp) so that's how we've dealt with it.