PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need advice asap - Update in later post

AmyinFL
06-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Sasha's incision looks infected. It has a small rash at one end, some white crusty stuff at the other end. It is still red a little and has dried blood coming out of the incision. Harley healed perfectly. Sasha doesn't seem to be in any distress and is acting perfectly normal. Is there anything I can do tonight at home? I am going to take her to the vet in the morning. My vet is a walk in clinic and usually has a long wait, unless you are there for a procedure. Does putting peroxide on it do anything? Or alcohol? Her activity has been normal. I have been keeping an eye on both of them. Like I said in an earlier post, her incision is at least 2-3 times as long as Harley's and had a few more stitches. The only thing different that they did with Sasha is pull a baby canine tooth. I guess I am being overly worried, but I just want to poor peroxide all over it like I would a scrape on my knee or something. Also, tell me if I am overreacting. I haven't had a dog spayed in YEARS. Thanks!

Alex's Mom
06-08-2011, 06:25 AM
As long as she's happy in herself, Amy, I think it's probably nothing much to worry about. However, I also think you're wise to be alert about it (being a HUGE believer in nipping things in the bud before you have a major issue on your hands :)). Is the incision hot? Is the crusty stuff dried pus, or just serum (yellowish). Pus is bad, serum may just be part of the healing process, although could also be early sign of infection. Short answer is that I'd definitely take her in and get it looked at (better a trip to the vet for what turns out to be nothing, then to ignore it and end up with a raging infection!!).

In the meantime, I wouldn't put peroxide on it cuz it can destroy the newly healed bits too, (unless you apply it with a cotton ball and keep it localized to the bad bits) which would be not good. I'd probably clean it up with some alcohol, and then if you have any wound powder, I'd use that. In a pinch, polysporin would probably be ok overnight, but the idea is that you want to keep it dryish, if at all possible. Is she worrying at it at all?

Keep us posted, ok? :hug99::hug99:

Lisa
06-08-2011, 07:22 AM
I would follow up with the vet today. She might have a mini infection that needs some antibiotics. Lots of rayz. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Keep us posted.

Kasianni
06-08-2011, 07:42 AM
I'd take her to the vet as well to make sure. Paula is right, no peroxide or alcohol. Peroxide kills the good bacteria as well as the bad. That applies to us as well even though I am sure many of us have used peroxide on a cut, myself included. Polysporin is okay but only for a temporary fix. I think she should see a vet since you don't know if its infected or not. As Lisa said, might need antibiotics. Since you did have her surgery done at your vets, can't you call them and see if they could see her for a follow-up and tell them it looks infected. It will only take minutes for them to tell if its infected or not. Hope your pup is okay. Sending many :bigrayz:.

lotsadox
06-08-2011, 09:00 AM
How's Sasha this morning?:scratch:

AmyinFL
06-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Great news!! No infection! I was worried about nothing. :) The white crusty stuff is the dermabond that they used. He said the rash is normal and is most likely a small reaction to either the stitches or the dermabond and absolutely nothing to worry about, unless it gets much worse. Whew!!

The vet I go to, mainly is walk in, unless it is for procedures. They take you in based on the level of care. So that emergencies and pets with medical issues are more likely to get taken in before one who is just there for shots. They schedule all procedures and are on time. They don't charge an office visit fee, just for the actual work they do. Would you believe that the flea med was half the price there than online? They did say that the flea meds they are cheaper and even have a sign on the door saying not to order it from 800-petmeds.

Anyway, I am relieved that Sasha is OK. I was being overprotective, like I do with my boys! :) Thank you all so much for your answers!

Lisa
06-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Fantastic update!! :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

Alex's Mom
06-08-2011, 10:38 AM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: for the good update!!! Still say better safe than sorry :). :hug99::hug99:

jenfer
06-08-2011, 10:43 AM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: for good update. :)

LexieLuvr
06-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Glad you took her in, and the diagnosis was great!! Better to be safe, IMO. You're a great hoomom!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

lotsadox
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
:cheer3::cheer3: Great news!