PDA

View Full Version : How did you come up with your dog's name?

oceangirls
03-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Okay, we have lots of new members and I am curious about some of the names I'm seeing! So tell us, what is the story behind your dog's name??
(feel free to include other pets if you have them, also any at the Rainbow Bridge if you like!)

For the girls, we went through the baby name book (which was purchased to name dogs, not babies :D ), and looked for names we agreed on :rolleyes:. I wanted beach-related names because we had moved to Florida a year before, so that is why I picked the registered names I did :)

Cassie is registered as "Hall's Sandcastle Cassandra" - Cassandra means unheeded prophetess because Cassandra foretold the fall of Troy but no one listened to her. Turned out to be very appropriate for Cassie who is always making a lot of noise about something or other which we usually ignore.

Angel is "Hall's Ocean Angelina" - she is very appropriately named because she really is an Angel:angel7:. She is such a sweet and affectionate girl, except to her sister :evilgrin:.

At the Bridge:
Tristan was named for the opera character in "Tristan and Isolde" - DH and I were both musicians in college.

Shelly, my first cocker spaniel, was "Queen Shalimar" after the perfume :lol:.

My second cocker came with her name, "Forever Amber" (from a book).

My mom's new cocker spaniel puppy came with the name Adam; I think she is registering him as something like "Snowy Winter Night" because we were trying to think of something to match his coloring (black & white). Adam is a great name because Adam was the first man and he is her first boy puppy! :cheer2:

Okay, I'm done rambling! Who's next?? :woohoo:

K2
03-22-2006, 01:48 PM
I rescued Pippit when he was 2 1/2. His name was originally Rudy. When he got to his foster mom's, she already had a Rudy so she called him Rusty. He didn't look like a Rusty to me and I wanted a P name for him. When I went to pick him up, I had a list of names. He got in the car and popped up to look out the window and I said, "You're such a pippit." He looked at me, cocked his head and wagged his tail...........

Pippit Jay What Did You Say(because of his ear, I thought it was cute)

Courtney
03-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Well....I was going to wait a bit longer to share this project I'm working on, but I'll do it now for you guys! I am starting a dog blog and want it to be a resource for dog health, nutrition, training, etc info. It will also sort of be a rescuer's diary. I've only done one entry so far, but it was about how Napoleon came into my life and how we named him....it also mentions my first dachshund and how he was named. So ... check out my blog for the story!

http://courtneypo.com/weblog/

Lisa
03-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Pogo's name came before we had Pogo. I have always adored dachshunds and wanted one since I was a little girl (Pogo is my first dog). Rafi and I were at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition - think really big county fair), eating Corn Dogs which are called Pogo's here, and talking about adding a puppy to our family (shhhhh, we weren't married yet, so we had Pogo out of wedlock). Rafi looked at his Pogo dog and said, well, I guess if you want a Hot Dog, we already know what his name will be. The CNE is one of my most favorite things - EVER (it's not for everyone, because it is super tacky - so I am not advertising for it or anything!!). It is one of my true symbols of summertime and Rafi and I always have so much fun, so his name is part of that fun, love and joy we experience each year...plus, it relates to wieners!

For Pixel, I saw him the first time in a photograph (his breeder is in Louisiana). When I showed Rafi the pic, he said...he's so tiny, he is not a full picture, just a little Pixel..and it was done. He was ours. Pixel's name is so perfect for him, he is such a poser, he hears the camera go on and he assumes his "vogue" status.

Otto'sMom
03-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Otto came from a German neighbor back in my hometown. I thought it was a good solid German name for a good solid little German dog. I believe it means 'prosperous baron'

Buddy came with that name, and it fits perfectly:hearts: He's my good dog.

Dolly came with that name too, she'd tilt her head everso cutely when you said it, and she also had big nipples from nursing pups, so she was :ashamed: Dolly Parton for a while:rotfl:

Grrrt's name is derived from Gertrude, the name my sister used to call me for reasons unbeknownst to me.:scratch: Sounded good with Otto to me. Since she's so danged cranky and she's always saying GRRRRR at things, she's Grrrrt.

Austin got his name from a suggestion from someone on another board. He's shaggy baby, yeah! So hence Austin (from Austin Powers) and he was trying to mate with Dolly when he first met her. He's so horny baby, yeah! Thank goodness that's done with!

At the bridge: Izzy Wartzburg. The kennel attendant told me his name was Ishmael but they called him Izzy. He was so old, I didn't want to change it. The Wartzburg came from him having so many little wart like growths on him, it just fits together.

Kitties: ( I know it asked for dogs, but I AM bored)
Lizzie Borden- Named after the famous aquitted axe murderer-she was sweet up to a point and then would turn and bite the hand that feeds her.

Lily- Lilith the Queen, the mythical Queen of Vampires. Lily likes to suck on clothes while you're wearing them.

Kali- Black as night, she's named for the Hindu goddess of destruction. She's a good kitty though.

Janet-My own mommie's name, each had a ton of kittens, knocked up by a dirty old tomcat.

Burnie- Was burned by a vehicle engine and has a bald burn scar on his noggin.

Louie- Short for Lucifer

Otis- Don't know why, just liked it. Now he's as big as an elevator

April- Month she was born in, and being unable to be fixed she was just like a pregnant friend at the time.

Lilah- Lilac points on her, so pretty, but not siamese.

Oz- Short legged like a munchkin from the Wizard of Oz. Munchkin kitty.

At the Bridge: Sixes, my gray kitty who was originally the 6th kitty in my herd.

The end.....for now :)

Fluffy
03-22-2006, 02:10 PM
When I got Buddy, his name was Wally. It TOTALLY did not suit him. We could not think up a good name for him, so he was "nameless" for about two days. My ex kept calling him "Little Buddy" and told me that if I did not pick a name for him soon, he'd think that was his name. We kind of both looked at eachother weird for a sec and both said "BUDDY!!" He's such a little spaz, and it just suited him perfectly. I added the middle name Matthew, one day while he was up to no good. It seems appropriate to call out two names when angry (Hey it worked for my mom...REBECCCCCA LYNNNN) So that's where Buddy Matthew came from.

Heidi, being an older lady, came with her name. I didn't feel that it was fair for her to try to get used to a new name, and it fits her. She looks like a Heidi. While she was going crazy doing zoomies one day I said something like "Run run, Heidi Susie Q." Heidi Sue was born.

Ben was "Hakes Sir Benji" named by previous owners (we got him when he was 4). When he was in "trouble," he was Benjamin.

Iffy got her name because it was "iffy" if we would keep her or not...Sadly we did not, so I'm sure she got a different name.

I won't even go into the thousands of guinea pig names b/c you'd be here all day!! I will say though, I'm darn good at naming them, so if you ever need help.........:lol:

Jill
03-22-2006, 02:22 PM
I had first seen Bailey's pictures on the breeders website and knew he had to be mine. So before we even went to meet him, I was trying to think of a name for him. All of a sudden Bailey popped into my head and I was like, yeah, the color is kinda like Bailey's Irish Cream! So there it was. We'll be out somewhere and I'll say his name is Bailey, and people will be like, yeah, he reminds me of Bailey's!

For Reese, his name was Bruiser on the Petfinder site. Dan hated it. I thought it was really cute, especially for a dog that we were told was sweet as can be. I wanted to keep Bruiser, Dan thought it was a dumb name. We went back and forth, and I came up with Reese because I said he looks like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

Jen
03-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Tasha came with her name when we adopted her, and she was so shy and scared that we didn't want to change her name on top of everything else.

Bella's Mom
03-22-2006, 02:47 PM
I met and fell in love with Bella when she was 3 days old. She was the most beautiful little thing I've ever seen. The name came to me as soon as I saw her. She was named Boondocks Beautiful Bella that very day. We love our little Bella girl. :hearts:

quavec
03-22-2006, 02:52 PM
The CNE is one of my most favorite things - EVER (it's not for everyone, because it is super tacky - so I am not advertising for it or anything!!). It is one of my true symbols of summertime

Our 'tacky' symbol of summertime is the 'Cajun Crawfish Festival'.....about as redneck and fun as you can get! We know summer has officially kicked off when that comes around!

Cricket came with his name. His registered name is 'Gulf Coast Cricket'. Never thought to change.

We had two great GSs growing up. One name 'Bear' because he looked like a little black teddy bear and 'Alf' because his ears just wouldn't stand up the right way and he looked like the character on the show. (Bear was the BEST dog around - don't tell Cricket)

Mama S.
03-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Stinker - J & my first dog together as a married couple - I figured she was going to be so spoiled that she'd stink !
Pete - has a white tip on his tail kids said he looked like a black peter cottontail
Oscar - cuz he's my weiner
Jadaa - Joyce, Anneliese, Donna Are Angels for the ladies I've lost in my life
Hershey - his papers say he is a chocolate dapple - first thing out of the crate he did was plant one on me so what else do you name a chocolate kiss?!
Shadow - Daddy's velcro baby. His very first dogs name was Shadow
Sam - his original name was Seinfeld. When I got him, I didn't like the name, we were watching a Lord of the Rings fest he looked like a fat lil hobbit so we changed his name to Sam Gamgee
Aurora Michael named her said the swirly patches on her coat reminded him of the stars .

The kids & I had a pomeranian when I was single, his name was SAM Sandi, Amanda & Michael.
My ex & I had a pom named Maggie - he got her in the divorce.

My very first doxie was Schatzie. She had a single puppy Duchess. Then we got Hans while I was in 8th grade. He stayed with my Mom after I got married

Sandi

Dijon04
03-22-2006, 03:50 PM
i have 9 pets so sit down for this one ....

my best friend called and said i'm going to get a weinie dog puppy there are 2 of them you wanna go? so i said yeah...i'd been wanting one for awhile and his name was always going to be oscar mayer (i mean how fitting right?) well she was trying to think of names for hers and came up with picasso....i figured his brother should have an artist's name too so i came up with michelangelo...then figured everyone gets a middle name and wanted to keep up with the hotdog theme so dijon became his middle name....makes him sound so sophisiticated...
and now of course he has tons of nicknames...michael, mikey, mikeyd, angel boy, my weird little dog, booger, baby

tennesse titan (aka good boy): my brothers black lab, named after his favorite football team
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/angelafaith04/titanantlers.jpg

patches: oldest cat...we rescued her from our neighbors who would abuse her..she was like the size of a beanie baby and they would abuse her...mostly i call her beeta (dont ask no idea where i came up with that one). She got the name patches because she's calico...it just fit.

skeeter davis: when we got him (he was hiding under our backyard shed and our dog odie was trying to eat him) my brother brought him in and he had on a little pink collar and we thought he was a girl...skeeter davis is an old country singer..dad named him/

stinky d. cat: well her original name was tequilla but then she liked sleeping in litter boxes so stinky d. cat it was....

lucy & ethel: stinky and skeeter's babies. they are the reasons we figured out skeeter wasnt a girl (very furry cat....hard to see the forest from the trees if you get my drift)

mini me: stinky's first baby....she only had one...mini me is a ******* child...poor thing...

johann wade fleener: my red eared slider turtle: johann was an inside joke with me, my best friend, and a crank call (i miss the days before caller id and star 69), wade charles barkley's middle name and just so fitting for a turtle, fleener high school football coach's name....it just flowed...

HotDogMama
03-22-2006, 04:13 PM
:shocked: Well I just looked up Molly, and it means "bitter" :rotfl: which makes no sense, but upon further research have found that it also means, "rebellious, and wished for child" which is definetly true, nothin fancy here, just looked up the top 10 names when we got her. When DH named that one, it seemed to fit, no middle name, just Molly Herron, on her papers and all, short and sweet just like her!! But my niece calls her Molly May a lot, and I sometimes call her Molly Jo, and DH calls her MollyHolly after the rassler':rolleye:..... men go figure~!!

Frzframe
03-22-2006, 04:20 PM
When I was going down to see a little l/h b/t dachshund I started with the ABC's. A=Ann, Annie ect until I came to the M's and it was Mitzi that was it that was gonna be her name. Then when we found out she was a chow hound it became Mitzi Moo.

Dudley was to be named Fred. My mom put down her foot and said she would not babysit a dog named Fred so a few days before I got him we looked at a baby naming book and came across Dudley and well he did look like a Dudley so ...

Francessca my l/h calico cat looks so regal so she needed a fancy name.

Grey - my wild kitty we refered to as the grey cat who I tamed and became my little Grey shadow.

Stinkey my first tabby cat. My dad owned some oil wells and late one night we all rode out with him to check on something or other and when he got back in the car he told us he heard a tiny kitten by the salt water pit. Of course he did this to say we made him go back and get the kitten. He was so tiny and he stunk to high heaven of crude oil hence his name.

Honeycup Lovechild a honey colored cocker. This is my first ever memory. I remember going down to pick her out with my family. Then when we got her I remember sitting her in the kitchen trying to come up with her name. Honeycup because she was the color of honey and Lovechild because she loved us kids. I was three at the time. :D

lotsadox
03-22-2006, 05:14 PM
My current ones were named like this:

Amanda was my mother's dog and came with her name.

Sweetums was named when we got her and we kept it even if it doesn't really fit the crotchety old thing that tries to bite anyone who picks her up!

Bogart was named after my all time favorite star Humphrey. I watched a biography of him once and found out that his middle name was DeForrest so for a while I called Bogart "DeForrest". Amazingly he answered to it. :scratch: Think that means something?

Cash and Miller came with their names. After we got Cash and I said something about Cash and Miller one day the DH said "That sounds like a country western singing duo" :banana:

Scooter came with his name and it fit him so we kept it. Although Baby Huey would probably be more fitting. :rotfl:

areese
03-22-2006, 06:05 PM
I "let" Rob name Laika...I was absolutely obsessed with getting a female LH mini Black and Tan Dachshund...he wanted a little puppy cuz he naver had one before...never named a dog either cuz I had Kerby, my old dog before we got married. He's crazy for space and rockets and stuff. Laika was the first dog in space. Actually the first living creature in orbit. The Russians sent her up in one of the sputniks. I admit I picked out "space" names and suggested a list of them to him but he got to pick. And he added "Rocket" to her name, so she's Laika Rocket.
Owen was named Taz originally but his foster mom didn't like it and called him Zack. Our friends had their first baby that year and named him Zachary so that wasn't good (they are taking the baby thing VERY SERIOUSLY) and we didn't want to go back to Taz-my sister's dog is Taz and anyway...does OWEN look like a TAZ to anyone???? So...A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving is my all time favorite book ever in the whole world and the dog Owen is tiny like Owen meany so he is Owen. I call him Owen Weeny sometimes....Or Owen Peeny if he's having one of those penis checking days....
MY pig is named Scout after Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird. But it's Scout LaRoote for the pig. Cat is Bob cuz he is spotted and striped like a bobcat.
MOst of my frogs do not have names (aside from descriptive ones like "that big fat albino female" or "The frog brian and kristi gave us") but I had a tadpole born last july with one eye. She was "Blink the one-eyed pirate tadpole" but now of course she is "Blink the ONe-eyed Pirate Frog". Except she's a male (you can't tell until they are like 6-8 months old)
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/blinktheoneeyedpiratefrog.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/Blink-1.jpg

jenfer
03-22-2006, 06:17 PM
I had the name "Gigi" before I even know I am getting Gigi. :D All I know was I want to have a female puppy and I was researching the breed at that time, but doxies are on top of my list. And I think it fit her perfectly. :) It means Brilliant, Trustworthy.

Linus
03-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Bailey was offered to me on the spur of the moment, and came home without a name. His litter mate that my friend kept was named Strauss (we both play French horn and Strauss wrote some of the best horn solos), but I didn't want to go with the whole composer thing. I had several friends come and watch "the puppy" while I went to Wal Mart to get a kennel, food, and supplies and one of them started spouting off names when I got home. She said Bailey, who just so happened to be one of my favorite kids in my first practicum, so it stuck!

Scout was named by my parents for my brother. They are OBSESSED with Boy Scouts...so there you go.

K2
03-22-2006, 06:52 PM
I guess I should tell the story of Paddington's name, too. Also had to be a P name. Went to get him with a list of mostly girl's names(since I wanted a girl) But it wasn't meant to be. Paddington picked me~and there was looking back. He looked like a PAddington(the bear from children's books), plus being a preschool teacher~it fit! Paddington Peanut(for Janet) :)

squirrel818
03-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Amy, thats so funny. Every time I read about your Owen I think of Owen Meany. I didn't know thats how he got his name though. Thats a great book!

areese
03-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Amy, thats so funny. Every time I read about your Owen I think of Owen Meany. I didn't know thats how he got his name though. Thats a great book!

I just love that book.

Goob
03-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally we brought Bella home and called her Bella. As we got to know our baby girl, we noticed that she's: busy, demanding, nosey, busy, nosey, bossy, demanding, busy, nosey, and totally the snottiest doxie ever. All that combined we'd say, "What's Bella doing?" and we'd say, "She's snooting around". Snooting changed to "She's such a Snooter", and now she's just "Snooter". Or sometimes, Snotter. Snooter fits her to a T. Bella works, but she's just such a Snooter. We almost named her Clancie instead of Bella. So that's my Bella "Snooter" Boo.

The Professor was different. We kind of hyjacked him (longs story, he was MY dog) and named him as we were peeling out of the driveway from where we got him. He was trying to jump out of the pet carrier and I said, "stay down there Buster Brown", and DH turned to me and we both knew, he's our Buster Brown. Only later on did we find out he's also a PHD in Mathmatics.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-25-2006, 11:07 PM
here' s mine:

Shadow- I was gonna name Snoopy, but I let my fiance' name him, got his name from staying on my heels day 1 if I walked anywhere he was right with me & when I stopped he bumped into my heels!

Reesee- Pronounced REES-SIE, a Chocolate'n'Tan thought for a few weeks & didn' t come up with anything...She' s my Peanut Butter Cup & called her Reesee 'cos it was cute! I got the idea by searching puppy names on the net.

Lil' Smokey- is named Lil' Smokey Joe, after Grammpa Joe (called Smokey Joe)who passed away.

Sassy Baby- I named her that 'cos she is the 1st born of the litter (Shadow & Reesee' s Baby) and was so sassy & bossy with the other pups!

At the bridge: SAM- he had his name when I got him, so I kept it. he was 4 or 5 yrs old already.

MISSY- my 1st pup I named her, (I was 5 at the time) I liked Mickey Mouse & Minnie guess I went with Missy to go with the "M" theme!?!?

JanUet
03-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Doug and I named Casey after a Resturant that we went to on our first date.
We loved that place and went there every Saturday for Lunch or Dinner.
After we got Casey we took him to the Restuarant in his carrier and told the Manager that we named him after the Resturant (Caseys). I did expect a wee discount on our meal.....we didn't get one....we NEVER went back! :rotfl:

We got Sophie from A Wonderful Foster Mother in Louisiana ( Tonya aka Agileollie) We wanted to call her Stacie....cuz it rhymed with Casey. But when we would call for Stacie (before we had her) Casey would come running. We didn't want to confuse him so we kept her name *Loafie Sophie*. It is so fitting! :hearts:

Zoe (the big cat) is just that.....Zoe the big cat. I wanted to call her Scar after the Uncle in Lion King. After more consideration....I didn't want to give her a complex.....So we kept her name as Zoe.

Helen
03-26-2006, 02:13 AM
No interesting story for us! BF's sister, who brought Charlie home, named him. As far as I know she just thought it was a good name.

Alex's Mom
03-26-2006, 07:30 AM
I always said that I was going to call my first dog Max, which seemed perfect when her breeder told me that each pup from her litter's name had to begin with X...do you know how few female names begin with an X?!? However, apparently Maxe didn't fit the bill (the e is because she was a girl!) so her registered name was Adler Horst's Xena Maxe...my little warrior princess indeed!

My horse arrived with a show name of Dekameron (he's Polish), and a stable name of Dax, so since I was on a roll with X's I decided to name Alex Alexis (Erdenrot Alexis mit Charmut...not everyone would agree with the charm part!).

The dachsie we had when I was growing up was named Chota Rani, which means little queen in Hindu...my dad fought in Burma in WWII, and because he was short (runs in the family! I blame my genes...) he got nicknamed Chota Joe. Rani definitely was the queen in our house!