PDA

View Full Version : Taffy found a snake tail

Jacqueline
03-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Poor ole snake....I just took it's photo Monday....and finding the last four inches of its tail in Taffy's mouth (she didn't get to eat any of it) doesn't bode well for the rest of it. It was on the top of the fence still early on Tuesday morning when dh took the pups out to potty. I suspect the pair of red shoulder hawks made lunch of it.

I hate that it is gone. We like the black snakes and racers because they keep rodents and poisonous snakes out of the area.

Taffy didn't get to taste it, so don't know if it tastes like chicken. It was still firm, and a clean cut.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d10/JacquelineBurns/th_latesnake.jpg

Jen
03-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Poor snake, I used to own snakes--but the hawks need to eat too I guess. A bit gruesome that Taffy found the remains though. You're a brave woman to pry that our of her mouth!!

lotsadox
03-22-2006, 05:20 PM
ITA with Jen! I don't know if I could have done that! :shocked:

Patt
03-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Aww poor snake. I didn't use to say that especially when I first moved here, but I'm always chasing the cats to save a snake, lizard or bird they may have in their mouth.

K2
03-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Poor snake. I admire you for pulling that out of Taffy's mouth. I don't think I could have done that! :appl:

Linus
03-22-2006, 09:02 PM
You are a brave woman... :vomit:

Jacqueline
03-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Poor snake, I used to own snakes--but the hawks need to eat too I guess. A bit gruesome that Taffy found the remains though. You're a brave woman to pry that our of her mouth!!

Actually, she gave it up pretty easily. I thought she had picked up some stick I wouldn't want her to have when I first walked over there. Snakes do not feel nasty, in case some people haven't handled them.

When the kids were younger, I agreed to be the nature director for the City Cub Scout Day Camp (temporary insanity) in one of the larger parks....and ended up with a aquarium with 5 snakes.....one very very pregnant and crabby, in my dining room. I was THE MOST popular mom in town for a long time....and the pg one gave birth while in my possession, lucky me, lol.

We are careful about letting the girls out the door, holding them back long enough to make sure there aren't any snakes laying within grabbing range before we let them move out. You learn to appreciate them out here very quickly.

Nancy
03-22-2006, 09:42 PM
EEEK!! I used to own two snakes, not sure if I could of pulled bits of one out of a mouth!!

Alex's Mom
03-23-2006, 06:39 AM
When Alex was a puppy, she and Maxe and I were living in a friend's cottage for 3 months while my house was being built. One morning when I let them out to pee, Alex (who for some reason loved carrying sticks around when she was a puppy...lab wannabe? :scratch: ) grabbed a stick, which started to do some serious thrashing around. I've never laughed so hard in my entire life...she dropped it and literally jumped backwards about 5 feet. :rotfl: The look on her face was just priceless...the snake wiggled off under the porch, and she came running to momma scared out of her little tree. Since then, she has a braking fit whenever she sees any stick longer than a foot. Needless to say, I'm not too worried about her grabbing at snakes!

Mama S.
03-23-2006, 12:09 PM
I worry about snakes but for a different reason - we have rattlesnakes and I have idiots. I live on the edge of a major wooded area complete with a 2 acre lake so we are all the time seeing rattlesnakes and cottonmouths and water moccasins. I've been very lucky to date - hopefully it is the dog smell that keeps the critters out of my yard:scratch: I still watch and hunt and keep all grass cut, limbs/hiding places cleared out.
Sandi

Jacqueline
03-23-2006, 12:57 PM
I worry about snakes but for a different reason - we have rattlesnakes and I have idiots. I live on the edge of a major wooded area complete with a 2 acre lake so we are all the time seeing rattlesnakes and cottonmouths and water moccasins. I've been very lucky to date - hopefully it is the dog smell that keeps the critters out of my yard:scratch: I still watch and hunt and keep all grass cut, limbs/hiding places cleared out.
Sandi

One of the big reasons we are so glad to see the blacksnakes and the blue racers is that we have pygmy rattlers in the area, tho I haven't seen any, and they will keep them away from us....mainly by eating them. Last spring I saw three pair of blacksnakes out behind us do the mating dance.....which was facinating in itself. I am glad to have them here, and just make sure we keep the pups back long enough to make sure they don't engage them.....or any other snake.

I keep them away from the fence itself, because we will let the vines grow along it in the back, providing shelter to the lizards that live with us. I enjoy my little lizzies, too.

My friend had a pygmy rattler crawl into her screened porch. It was swiftly snatched and killed by her cat, which was a feral cat that I had captured and brought to her (with much weeping and sneezing on my part :rotfl: ) in her trap. She named her Miracle, because when I caught the cat, it was about 18 inches long and 2 inches wide, and had already had two litters, that I know of, one right after the other. I had already managed to catch 3 of the kittens. Miracle returned the favor of having her life saved. Go rescues!!

Bella's Mom
03-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Ooohh, I am so scared of snakes! I would've freaked out!