PDA

View Full Version : Adequan, Acupucture and Strollers oh my...

Lisa
06-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Pixel is still not doing great (although I would say he is marginally better this morning). We started him on his Adequan series yesterday. He gets 2 shots per week for 4 weeks and then will get monthly boosters. Since it is not designed for IVDD the vet is not really convinced it will help, but he knows it won't hurt, and could help Pixel with arthritis down the road. He pretty much feels that since Adequan takes at least a month to help a dog, that is when they are naturally recovering from IVDD anyway, so the benefits of it could be just coincidence. But he is a huge fan of the drug itself and wished more of his clients would choose it over long term steroids or NSAID etc. to manage joint pain in their dogs. It doesn't work fast (again, it takes at least a month), but it is much easier on the system.

We are also starting acupuncture with him this Thursday. I will update after the appointment. Although I have had acupuncture, this will be my first experience bringing a dog, so I am a bit nervous. The vet we are bringing him to is very reputable and experienced, so I am sure he will be in good hands.

Finally, we caved and bought a stroller. However, we are referring to it as a "soft-sided elevated mobile crate." Pixel already thinks he is a baby, so we don't want to give him any more ammo :) He loves it, and I am able to get a lot more work done. Before he would lay on my desk (on an ortho dog pad) and it made it really tough if I was home alone. Now I can secure him and it gives me some freedom too.

We are only on day 5 from when Pixel started on his drugs and crate rest, but I truly hope he is as bad as he is going to get. Yesterday the vet was holding him and squeezing and Pixel started pooping. :shocked: His anal control was not good. However this morning, he had no problems pooping and even did his little tail water pumping actions that he has not done since IVDD round two started. So I am cautiously optimistic. I know we are still in week one and have seven weeks to go so I don't want to get a head of myself. This really is a marathon battle, but am hopeful the little BLB can make it through a winner. :crossfin:

alfina
06-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Big huge hug to you and Rafi! And mega :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Pixel.

areese
06-28-2011, 09:13 AM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:
This sounds pretty much like it went the first time...I think I'm remembering right. Slow start to the recover but then things got better...a few setbacks but pretty much steady progress.
poor guy has been through the wringer lately, hasn't he? and you and Rafi!!!
:hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99:
I did adequan with my old dog. Prob. waited too long (it was new then) but it did help her arthritis.
and since I helped my sister needle her dog I am fascinated with the accupuncture process and really was amazed by the effect.

Lisa
06-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Yes Amy, I went back and read my old threads and it is following the same timetable, so I am hopeful for a similar outcome. :crossfin:

Alex's Mom
06-28-2011, 09:24 AM
"soft-sided elevated mobile crate." :rotfl: I should try that one on Wendal and Jules :lol:

As Amy said, overall it does sound hopeful...it's hard watching minute by minute (if you're me :rolleyes: ) to see what's going on, isn't it!!! Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99: to all of you for getting better and sanity :).

Alex had both adequan shots and acupuncture and they were great!! She wasn't great about the latter (very restless, and that's not helpful keeping the needles in...most dogs love it though, and basically just doze their way through the treatments, according to Laura), and we found that the chiro worked better on her, but when Wen has his acupuncture (we kind of switch it around with his chiro, depending what's going on at the time), I see such a HUGE improvement in him!!! :crossfin::crossfin:that it's all helpful!!

Rae
06-28-2011, 09:25 AM
big love for you all from Ky... TSNTJ.

The "soft-sided elevated mobile crate" will be your BFF, I swear. Duchie LOVES hers, and still sleeps in it at night.

Many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for the whole Kharman family, furry and otherwise.

RustysMom
06-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Pixel!!! :hug99::hug99::hug99:

lotsadox
06-28-2011, 09:28 AM
It does sounds like Pixel is going about the same route he did before. :crossfin::crossfin::crossfin: for a good outcome.

The DH has never been able to bring himself to call it a "stroller", he calls it the Popemobile :rotfl::rotfl: Whatever you call it, it saved my sanity. It does free you up to get things done without a dog screaming at you.

I'll be really interested to hear how the acupuncture goes. I've never done acupuncture with myself or a dog.

Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:

LexieLuvr
06-28-2011, 07:37 PM
My Jack had great results with acupuncture and VOM the first time he went down. He was good for a year afterwards, then had to have surgery. I've had acupuncture, with not very good results. Best of luck!! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

wawailc
06-29-2011, 09:23 AM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: I sure hope little Pixel is feeling better soon. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
06-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Just wondering how Pixel is today, hope he is feeling better. :bigrayz::hug99:

Lisa
06-29-2011, 11:25 AM
I think he was better yesterday (and a bit worse today), Rafi thinks he is the same as yesterday. So we will go with his since it is more optimistic. Either way he is better than Monday.

blueyezz74
06-29-2011, 09:42 PM
I truly do believe that aucpucture helped Max after he hurt his back again 4 months ago. He's really wobbly in the morning but once he gets going he's running around. Yes, I never thought he would be doing that. Sometimes he knocks things over (like my patio glass oil lamps) and falls over but most of the time he looks good.

We did acupucture 3 times the first week and then every week for about a month. Then it went to every other week. Now we are just on a maintenance schedule with it being every three months of earlier if I feel he needs it.

To him acupucture was pure torture. A vet tech and I both had to hold my little 10 lbs dog who couldn't even stand when we starting taking him. Then towards the end he went to trying to jump into my arms. Most of his needles would end up stuck to me.

Hang in there.

LUVMYGUNNER
06-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Gunner had problems with his right leg after surgery... and we did the adequan series a couple of months after his surgery and it seemd like after a few shots, it realy helped the leg..we now get a couple of shots during the winter months.

Patt
06-29-2011, 10:30 PM
My previous farrier use to use Adequan on her dog, and swore by it. Also one of my vets clients use to take her dog for acupuncture and water therapy, both were successful. So I feel Pixel is going to do super with both treatments. Sending mega :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Pixel I hope he's feeling a wee bit better soon. :crossfin:

Lisa
06-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Did the acupuncture. His reaction was interesting. The leg that he has the most neuro damage (read: dragging) is his left. He clearly responded to the needles in that leg, it was very cool. However, he totally freaked out when she got near the bulge on his back, so she stopped to prevent further injury. She did get about 8 needles in his back, some in front and some behind the affected disk. She also decided not to try electrical stimulation today. Since his injury is only a week old, she wants him to heal the area a bit more with time. We are going back next week and will see how he does then.

Overall, I loved this vet. She is a "regular" vet, plus she does acupuncture and Chinese herbals. Lovely lady, she is very "zen" but not a hippy. She just oozes this calmness.

Alex's Mom
06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Overall, I loved this vet. She is a "regular" vet, plus she does acupuncture and Chinese herbals. Lovely lady, she is very "zen" but not a hippy. She just oozes this calmness.

Excuse me! :toetap: When did Laura move to the GTA, I'd like to know????? :conf4: :rotfl:

alfina
06-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Excuse me! :toetap: When did Laura move to the GTA, I'd like to know????? :conf4: :rotfl:

You thought she was doing horse visits but in reality she has been moonlighting! :rotfl:

lotsadox
06-30-2011, 05:34 PM
That is interesting, Lisa. It could just be that the area is too tender. I know with my dogs they are very sensitive to chiro in the area that needs adjustment. Me, too, actually. I've often wondered about accupuncture just to calm Miller down and make him less nervous. :rotfl::rotfl:

areese
06-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Did the acupuncture. His reaction was interesting. The leg that he has the most neuro damage (read: dragging) is his left. He clearly responded to the needles in that leg, it was very cool. However, he totally freaked out when she got near the bulge on his back, so she stopped to prevent further injury. She did get about 8 needles in his back, some in front and some behind the affected disk. She also decided not to try electrical stimulation today. Since his injury is only a week old, she wants him to heal the area a bit more with time. We are going back next week and will see how he does then.

Sounds perfect!!!! They do respond in the areas that are needed...
If their body objects too much, it's good to back off just like she did and esp to wait on the electric stimulation. Wait until you see that!!! It's amazing!!

LUVMYGUNNER
07-01-2011, 12:32 PM
sounds interesting...i may do accupuncture on Gunner also just for maintenance..

Lisa
07-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Today is AWESOME. Pixel is using his left leg about 25% of the time. I think the only thing slowing him down is the resistance of the grass. He wants to walk around, which is fabulous. We are still keeping him on 100% crate rest and giving him full support when he goes out to potty, but the fact he wants to move is amazing.

We did our second acupuncture appointment on Friday. She was able to get the needles in his bad area this time. The vet did do some electrical stimulation (above and below the bad disc - still not on the trauma area), it was really neat. Pixel does react to the needles (he is a bit of a drama queen), but once she started pulsing, he laid down and foofed (it's between a sigh and snort).

Two things I would totally recommend for a downed dog are acupuncture and a stroller. We didn't do either last time, I am not sure how we made it though. Both have helped tremendously.

oceangirls
07-10-2011, 03:39 PM
awesome news!

lotsadox
07-10-2011, 03:58 PM
That's awesome! :cheer3::cheer3: Pixel wanting to use his leg is HUGE. I'm so happy.

The stroller really helped me. I'll never go thru back problems on any kind of restricted activity without one again. I'm really excited about the acupuncture, too. That will definitely be on my list for any future problems.

oceangirls
07-10-2011, 08:33 PM
I was considering getting a stroller, just to be able to take the dogs places where they might get tired, or nervous in crowds. It sounds like it might be a good investment just in case.

Patt
07-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the good news update. :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: for Pixel.

Lisa
07-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I was considering getting a stroller, just to be able to take the dogs places where they might get tired, or nervous in crowds. It sounds like it might be a good investment just in case.

Totally! And Pet Edge has some really nice ones. I couldn't order them because I needed it NOW and because of shipping, duty, international etc. etc.

I really liked this (http://www.petedge.com/product/Guardian-Gear-Pet-Roadster/47293.uts) one.

http://www.petedge.com/assets/product_images/styles/large/ZA108_600X600.JPG

LexieLuvr
07-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Terrific news!!! More recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:! I couldn't afford a stroller when Jack was down; I should have asked around, maybe someone would have had one I could have borrowed. I had his crate on a dolly so he could go from room to room with me, but having the ability to take him for a walk would have been great!

Lisa
07-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I would say he is at about 35 - 40% today, and his best time of the day is when I get home around noon, so I am excited to see how he will do then.

We go for another Adequan shot today at 5:30.

lotsadox
07-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Wow, that's great, Lisa! :cheer3::cheer3:

Yolanda
07-11-2011, 12:44 PM
You can also check Craigs Lists and the other give away/sale sites. You can find a lot of pets items for sale or give a way. It was how I got a lot of crates a few weeks back.

Two Red Smooth's
07-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Awesome news...hope he's doing well at lunch. :bigrayz: & :hug99: continue for him and his family.

LUVMYGUNNER
07-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Thats a great Update...:cheer3: