PDA

View Full Version : Wheat

Bella's Mom
12-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Someone just gave me dog treats with wheat flour listed as the first ingredient. I don't normally stray from Bella's normal diet and for some reason I thought wheat flour was bad for dog treats? Any help on this? I leaning towards tossing them.

Loren
12-08-2005, 05:39 PM
can't "do" wheat....he gets diarrhea from it. Other dogs have no problems....what are the other ingredients? I wouldn't toss them unless you know that Bella has issues with wheat.

lotsadox
12-08-2005, 05:54 PM
A lot of dogs have trouble with wheat. Wheat is one of the most common allergens. I'd be careful of it, especially if she's shown any sensitivity in the past to wheat.

Jen
12-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Tasha gets itchy and barfy if she eats foods with too much wheat, and I suspect, corn. But we do give her the occasional cookie with wheat as no matter how many times I tell my relatives she can't have wheat, they still tend tempting goodies that contain it. So we just do a little at a time and freeze the rest...

So if you give Bella a bit, and have no digestive issues, its probably ok in moderation. Provided the other ingredients look good. :)

Patt
12-08-2005, 07:47 PM
As the others have said some dogs are allergic to wheat. Trixie has no problem with any food, just try it and see if she has a reaction to it.

K2
12-08-2005, 08:56 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said. Just try a little bit and see how she reacts to it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Bella's Mom
12-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Thanks All. I will break off a little piece and see what she does. If wheat flour wasn't the first ingredient I wouldn't worry so much. I have gotten so used to the carrot, pumpkin and bully stick trio of treats that I worry about introducing anything else. She'll eat anything but that doesn't mean she gets it. :D