PDA

View Full Version : So tell me about fostering...how does it work?

yourmomsage
10-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Hey there rescuers--

So, my sweet hound dog Sunny went to the Rainbow Bridge, but I'm still not having any luck convincing the hubby to get a doxie. And I'm really lonely working at home without a 4-legged companion!

Plan B is to try to get him to let me foster one! (Secretly hoping to eventually "fail" at fostering with one of them, yet help other doggies in the meantime.) And yes, I know I have to have his agreement on this in order to be approved as a foster.

What can you tell me about fostering? How does it work? Are there special requirements for your house? Do fosters just take care of the dogs, or do they also go get them, interview potential adoptees, etc.?

Beth

Frzframe
10-31-2011, 03:52 PM
It all really depends on who you foster for. I foster for Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue and pay 30 bucks per year for that privilege. They cover all medical cost (I think three months of heargard). I pay for food, grooming (toe nail clipping) and flea prevention. I take photos and put them up on their web page along with a petfinder page (its mine), I get to process any applications that come through (there are some that are already pre-approved but I get to look at them and get to make the final decision if they want one of my dogs). I get to do the home visit if its close enough and then make the final decision if the foster would be placed with them. I also get to say if they can go out of state, need a fenced in yard, or anything else that might effect them.

RustysMom
10-31-2011, 04:03 PM
:ditto:

It depends on that rescue.

I have fostered for FunDoxie. a small independent rescue that relies on fosters and is not a 501 3C (is that it?) rescue.

I have to pick the dog up from where ever its coming from. I provide for the dog as far as food, bath, toys, a roof over their heads and love. Because I foster, my groomer grooms the dog for free :) I also provide the photo of the dog for them to put on Petfinder.com The rescue covers the medical expences thats paid by the adoption fee. The only part thats hard is there is only one vet the fosters have to be taken too and its an hour away from me. As a foster I am required to take them to that vet. But thats ok, its out by my favorite shopping mall and resturant :) I also get to look over the apps that come in to see what I think and only once did I actually have to take the dog to its new home.

It is a very rewarding experience and hard at the same time as far as giving them up but to know you helped save that one, its rewarding.

Mama S.
10-31-2011, 04:13 PM
In a nutshell - (if you are me) you pick one you get one you foster you fail end of story:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

of course I do get to blame PJ - every single app we got for Scooby> HE found something wrong with!! Not me - HIM!!!! So we added the Doob to our herd on New Years Eve several yrs ago!!!!

Sooo many rescues are dying for good foster homes!!! Great choice!!!

Lisa
10-31-2011, 04:34 PM
What State do you live in?

LexieLuvr
10-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Every rescue group seems to have different rules. Contact the one closest to you and find out what their requirements are. Good for you for wanting to foster!! (And fail :))

Chris
10-31-2011, 10:43 PM
I honestly wouldn't go into it to snooker your husband into getting a dog. because it just leads to resentment. I would go into it earnestly wanting to foster at least x amount of dogs - one at a time, or if he really likes fostering after awhile, maybe even a pair at a time. It will be hard to give them up unless you get one knowing you will only have them for a few weeks (an adopter is approved but they need to go through treatment or something). But when you see them with their new family, you won't be sad. You will be happy to have helped that dog, and look forward to the next one who will most likely come quickly. It does get easier. And if you are just starting out, its better to arrange a situation where the rescue goes through and checks references, and then either picks the family or tells you who they have and lets you weigh in. This way you can learn from their experience.

I have fostered a few times and it was mostly dogs that I had found, and went through the processes of looking for their owners. A few times, the owners were successful located and sometimes they were not, and I went through the proper procedures with the local animal control and then fostered them for a rescue until a home was found. The longest I had a dog was a six weeks, the shortest I had a dog was two weeks. One of them I had on the longer end I had until the rescue had room. The director of the rescue wanted to move the dog to her house to get ready for her spay, etc, and since the vet was hours from me as it was a breed specific rescue, that was best. Some people have a foster for months or a year, and some just for an overnight but mostly the longer ones are harder to place dogs.

I think that if you want to adopt another dog, then be honest about it with him. But don't do so until you both are on absolutely the same page. Everyone takes a longer time to grieve. And also, if he does agree with you on fostering, really foster for awhile. Whether there is a deliberate break between dogs or not. Its important to keep a good balance in your house if you are just starting out to keep everyone in the house on board.

The other thing you can get involved with is offering to overnight dogs who are on long distance rescue transport. You will have them just for a night as a safe haven, but you have to live along a major route for that/

Frzframe
11-01-2011, 01:17 AM
I forgot to mention with CCDR there is a time where you are an associate member and have someone help and watch over you so you're not just thrown to the wolves. :o

You might also check out your local shelter and see if they have a fostering program and then if they do tell them you would like to only foster dachshunds.

lotsadox
11-01-2011, 09:54 AM
I agree you'll have to check with a rescue or shelter in your area. They all have different rules. Fostering can be quite challenging, but it so worth it. Thanks for considering it.

yourmomsage
11-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Thanks for all of the info and different perspectives, everyone! (And for the failed fostering story, Mama!:rotfl:)

I live in Maryland, and I do have a friend who volunteers for DRNA, but I wanted to hear from others as well.

Chris, I won't be able to pull a fast one on my hubby, he is smarter than the average bear and will see right through that! But I do want him to get to know a dachshund and see how funny and loveable they are, yet without feeling that he has to be 100% committed to keeping that individual dog forever. The doxies will have to do the rest by being their adorable, charming selves and making him fall in love.:sillylove:

He can't help it, he wasn't raised with animals. :shocked::sosad: But I'll keep working on him.:crossfin:
Beth

areese
11-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks for all of the info and different perspectives, everyone! (And for the failed fostering story, Mama!:rotfl:)

I live in Maryland, and I do have a friend who volunteers for DRNA, but I wanted to hear from others as well.

Chris, I won't be able to pull a fast one on my hubby, he is smarter than the average bear and will see right through that! But I do want him to get to know a dachshund and see how funny and loveable they are, yet without feeling that he has to be 100% committed to keeping that individual dog forever. The doxies will have to do the rest by being their adorable, charming selves and making him fall in love.:sillylove:

He can't help it, he wasn't raised with animals. :shocked::sosad: But I'll keep working on him.:crossfin:
Beth

I think your idea is a good one. And you know..sometimes it's those people who weren't raised with pets who fall hard and fast in love with them in the end :)

RustysMom
11-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Beth

My husband wasnt either. He had 1 cat as a pet and a gold fish that his dad over fed and killed before I met him! he was 21 when I met him and only had 1 pet his entire life :sosad:. His parents HATE dogs with a passion. A very strong hate :sosad:. But when we met and married I told him "there will be a dog in our family". Now we have 3 and he loves them more than life.

I hope you get the chance to foster! :crossfin:

Mama S.
11-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Beth

my brat has the same problem. She was raised in a zoo - her DH has ZERO tolerance for anything furry - she had a cat when they met and he has since allowed her to bring home a second one that he now hates:( It's sad as I do want my granddaughter raised in a home with furry friends:( You are doing it the right way! The foster world will be glad to have you!

yourmomsage
11-02-2011, 12:29 PM
It will be a long campaign to convince him, but I'll give it a try.

RDavidP
11-02-2011, 12:33 PM

You're in Maryland? Awesome. There are a couple of us here who live in Maryland, and Yolanda, who also works with DRNA, is only a couple of hours or so south of us in Virginia. Maybe we can bring our dogs over to help with the convincing. :rotfl:

yourmomsage
11-03-2011, 08:58 AM
RDavidP--
Great idea, come on over! There's nothing like a house full of excited rescue dachshunds with questionable potty skills to convince a non-animal person. LOL

I think I met Yolanda at MADP one year. My friend since college, Pete, and his girlfriend Linda are involved with DRNA and the "Phest" in Northern Virginia. (Linda is the official volunteer, she just coerces Pete into helping sometimes, as women will do!)

Chris
11-03-2011, 10:50 AM
What about finding a local dachshund meetup, or even finding out what rescue fundraisers the local people who rescue doxies that are on this board do?

yourmomsage
11-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Yes, I've thought about the meetups, it just hasn't worked out yet. Most are in DC or NoVa, which is quite a haul for us. (Gotta keep it convenient if I'm trying to drag the big man with me!)