PDA

View Full Version : Poor sweet Duchie.... Can't catch a break!

Rae
11-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Cold front moving in, arthritis all bad.

Cataracts getting worse, can't see very far.

NOW she has developed some fungal infection on her skin which is causing hair loss. We have medicated shampoo and did a round of antibiotics, but she's still losing small clumps.

In addition to her little benign lumpies and the mammary tumor we're keeping a close eye on....

Sweet baby.

(sigh)

RustysMom
11-15-2011, 12:36 PM
get better soon sweet girl! Im so sorry. :hug99:

:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Frankie'sMom
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Poor Duchie. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: Get better soon sweetie.

Two Red Smooth's
11-15-2011, 12:56 PM
:hug99: to HRH and her Mommy

Alex's Mom
11-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Dere My bestest Royal Hineyness,

I feels all your pain, cuz I haz da arthuritis and da hair ting too. And my sister Jules and brudder James haz da bumps and da motheaten look happening. Getting old is NOT for da faint of heart, as dey say. Plus I had da squirtz for a WEEK and now I haz da itchies big time too. Mom and me get to stay up ALL night keeping each odder companies. Do you gets to keep your mom companies at night too? Mom doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as I do for some reason.

Anyway, hangs in dere. It's right dat we should be da girlfriend and da boyfriend cuz we hurts in all da same places and is both Wonderdoggies in da Alex Romanow tradition :hug99:.

Yours in owie solidarity,
Wendal J. Romanow

AgileOllie
11-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Poor little girl. I feel your pain, Rae. :(

lotsadox
11-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Getting old isn't for sissies. Poor Duchie. Poor Rae.

Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:

oceangirls
11-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Winter is not the best season to be bald. Sending many rayz for Dookie!!! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

and hugs for mama :hug99:

Lisa
11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Duchie, Davy & Wendal. Sending healing rayz and love to all our DLC seniors. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Rae, have you tried the bilberry for her eyes? It took Pogo about 6 - 8 weeks, but I do notice a huge difference. I just buy it from Walmart.

I know I also seem like an adequan sales agent, but it really is remarkable for arthritis and has very few side effects. The only downside is you need to go for shots for 6 weeks, and then you trail off to once per month. But even the shots are reasonable. Pixel's were $18, which I think equates to $10 in KY. If you do ever go Adequan, you have to take her off all other joint meds (gluco & chond.)

Patt
11-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Getting old isn't for sissies. Poor Duchie. Poor Rae.

Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:
Ditto!

More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: :hug99::hug99::hug99: and good thoughts for Duchie.

phoria2
11-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Aww poor Duchie!:sosad:
Here's some :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for you and :hug99::hug99: for your mom.

Feel better!!

Rae
11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
crap - bad mom forgot about bilberry. Will get some - what dosage for a 10 lb ween?

Aquedan - will ask Dr. Brian.

Wendal, I love you too.

Aunt Patrice - I must be a sissy because this sucks. But Mommy says it beats the crap out of the alternative.

Thanks to everybuddy for the encouraging words.

Question - sweater for warmth... we has some. Do y'all think a sweater will make her lose even more hair? Grrr. decisions decisions

HokieMom
11-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Awwwww poor sweet Duchie! :bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99::hug99:

LexieLuvr
11-15-2011, 08:40 PM
So sorry HRH is having more issues - true, getting old sux. Take it from me. TONS of get-well :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigr ayz:

Lisa
11-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes to the sweater.

1/4 caplet of bilberry and work up to 1/2 caplet. You can go 1 to 2 times per day. And vitamin E (up to 100 iu) 1 x per day.

michelehbc
11-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Poor kid :(

areese
11-15-2011, 10:37 PM
:hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99: for you both!!!!!!!!!

bittyup
11-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Sorry I missed this. Lots of :hug99::hug99::hug99:for HRH.

Mama S.
11-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Poor sweet girl! AND her Mama too. As much as I love winter (me & heat are having harder and harder times) I soo understand that the cold is not a good thing for our older babies. Poor Hersh is almost bald now - his is just bad breeding? We are trying to get a sweater for him as he can't lose much more and his poor skin is soooo cold when he comes inside:(
Lots of love heading your way from Gawja!!!

Tex
11-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Sending huge Texas-sized rays to HRH!!!

Yolanda
11-16-2011, 02:02 PM
and how is our HRH today?

LUVMYGUNNER
11-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Gunner is doing the adequan series right now...he had no problems with his back, until we had a bad cold front come thru and then he didn't want to walk...so i took him to the vet and the vet put him on previcox and we are doing a maintenance, of the adequan and he seems fine now...but we are crating him, for the time being..
Prayers and rays for the pretty girl.

Red Haired Girl
11-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Poor Duchie girl! :bigrayz::bigrayz:
Yes to the sweater. If her hair is going to fall out it may as well fall out inside a sweater instead of falling on the floor. It won't make more hair fall out unless the hair is already compromised. If sweaters caused healthy hair to fall out all of our dogs would be bald.

Don't worry Duchie - Bald is Beeyootiful! :sillylove:

RustysMom
11-17-2011, 09:42 AM
and how is our HRH today?

:ditto:

Alex's Mom
11-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Alex was on Adequan for the last couple years of her life. Great stuff!!!!! Worked much better than glucosamine with her. I'd like to get Jules on it, but just can't afford it right now. However, there is another similar (cheaper) series of shots, whose name escapes my sleep-deprived brain at the moment (I'll ask Laura), which is a bit easier to manage, and which, from all reports works as well as Adequan.

As for the sweater, well why not, if it makes her feel better? As Tracy said, it won't take any hair that wasn't going to come out anyway. Or you could get her one of those horse-style blankets which might be easier for her to wear?

Doesn't matter...she's gorgeous no matter how much hair comes out!!!!!

:hug99::hug99:

Rae
11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
there has been an increase in falling over in the past two days.

calling Brian shortly. But, the falling down has happened right after she gets up from being in the crate for the day or first thing in the morning getting out of the stroller, so it may not be anything more than morning wobblies. I have em too some days.

Alex's Mom
11-17-2011, 09:59 AM
there has been an increase in falling over in the past two days.

calling Brian shortly. But, the falling down has happened right after she gets up from being in the crate for the day or first thing in the morning getting out of the stroller, so it may not be anything more than morning wobblies. I have em too some days.

Lordy, woman, I fell over getting out of bed this morning. Keeping her gently active is the best thing you can do for her, especially now that the weather is getting colder and damper. Jules has issues too (and we won't even discuss Wendal and falling over, poor Boo!), but I make both of them move and use the ramp (well, unless Wen's really bad then I'll carry him down to the pen). Ask Brian about the Adequan. Think about it...if she was human, she'd be using a walker or a cane at her age most likely. :hug99::hug99:

lotsadox
11-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Think about it...if she was human, she'd be using a walker or a cane at her age most likely. :hug99::hug99:

That's a good point, Paula. A lot of older people have balance problems and just general getting around problems. Why would dogs be so much different?

Red Haired Girl
11-17-2011, 10:57 AM
The falling over sounds like she is wobbly from being stiff. My Shi 'tzu, Snuggles, would be walking along as pretty as you please then take a header right into the ground. She was real 'fuzzy' for about 2 minutes after. She had a heart condition and we knew she was on borrowed time. She didn't fall over sideways or sprawl out as if her legs went out from under her - she went ass over tin cups.

areese
11-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Maybe some range of motion exercises before she actually gets up..I did that with my ancient dog, Kerby. just to get things moving before she had to make the effort to walk. I also did the adequan series with her..can't say that I noticed it making a lot of difference but who knows...
Also had her on egg crate foam under her cozy bed-well actually she LOVED this purple nylon sleeping bag, always had, so I had that folded up with the foam inside.
:hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99: for you and HRH.
My legs are awfully stiff in the morning...could someone come over and do range of motion on me before I get up? I would really appreciate it!!!

Yolanda
11-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Trey, my senior (16.5) tri-pod also has a lot of issues first getting out of bed, especially on cold damp days. I just give her a few extra minutes to stretch and groan at me.

Getting old is hard on the furkids.

Ivan
11-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Poor sweetheart Duchie. Those awful itchies & hotspots are so hard to rid. Jebbie fought against those for years. We tried all kinds of medicated shampoos, which helped somewhat. Many, many, months of antibiotics helped most, but it was so slow progress. Drug-resistant strains, like MRSA? Jeb's skin seemed to clear up faster while on vacation, so I wonder if he was also allergic to something in our home? Rug? Sofa? Lawn? Cat?

Little darling Duchie deserves a break. Cataracts suck. Can HRH still hear well?

Linus
11-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Poor Duchie!!! Lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:and :hug99::hug99::hug99:for all of you!

Rae
11-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Little darling Duchie deserves a break. Cataracts suck. Can HRH still hear well?

huh?

JK

selective deafness. She can't hear me tell her to be quiet but rip the wrapper off a Kraft American Single three rooms away and here she comes!

The loss of hearing she has experienced makes her less afraid of thunderstorms - she used to FREAK so that one is a blessing in disguise.

Snugglesafe disk = still the best thing ever in the whole world. ever.

Rae
11-17-2011, 07:08 PM
thanks everyone.

we're going on "wait and see mode" now. Today when I got home and was taking her out to potty I stopped in the kitchen to talk to DH a minute and it was a minute too long...

peed right down the leg.

oceangirls
11-17-2011, 09:10 PM
She can't hear me tell her to be quiet

Duchie makes noise?? :scratch: Excessive noise?? :scratch:

Rae
11-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Duchie makes noise?? :scratch: Excessive noise?? :scratch:

If I am in the house but out of sight, ESPECIALLY if I am in the Room With The Big White Box Where The Cheese Lives and she is not.

But only if there is a NEED. For cheese, or to go potty or for I WANT MY MOMMY RIGHTNOW!

I know. Random, huh?

She doesn't barooooo anymore. :sosad: She used to at my Mom's but Mom said she has not heard that in a while.

SaxLady
11-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Sending mega :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for your sweet girl. Prayers too. Do you have one of the discs that you put in the microwave and then put it in her bed to keep her warm? You can find them on Amazon.

Barb
11-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Brandy sends all kinds of rayz for her friend Duchie.....

(Bran doesn't make much noise anymore either....I can't remember the last time she barked...and thunderstorms were always her time to announce...and since she can't hear them anymore - YAY !)

:hug99: for Mommy and many smoochies to HRH.

jenfer
11-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Duchie. My mom's Shih Tzu can't see or hear very well either (15 yo)... and they just moved to a new place.

I forgot we have the snugglesafe thingy too... I shall use it. :)

Does Duchie itches? I am wondering if handmade balm works? Gigi's skin has issue from time to time and I used some herbal balm (with herbs that targets those symptoms) and it *seems* to work. I use them myself too. ha. If you are interested, let me know.

Rae
11-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Sending mega :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for your sweet girl. Prayers too. Do you have one of the discs that you put in the microwave and then put it in her bed to keep her warm? You can find them on Amazon.

Yes! the Snugglesafe is the BEST THING EVER in our house. Paula sent me one before I knew what they were. I made a fleece drawstring cover for it so she won't get burned... thank you for the suggestion - they are truly a blessing!

Rae
11-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Duchie. My mom's Shih Tzu can't see or hear very well either (15 yo)... and they just moved to a new place.

I forgot we have the snugglesafe thingy too... I shall use it. :)

Does Duchie itches? I am wondering if handmade balm works? Gigi's skin has issue from time to time and I used some herbal balm (with herbs that targets those symptoms) and it *seems* to work. I use them myself too. ha. If you are interested, let me know.

thank you so much Fur. She doesn't seem to itch so much as just randomly lose tufts of hair.