PDA

View Full Version : Add us to the IVDD family:(

Mama S.
11-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Came home from the park found Sam cowering behind the commode. I got him out he yelped I said SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT and off we went to the vet.
We walked in the front door and Doc Roy was standing there talking with another client 5 minutes to go home time. He took one look didn't even touch Sam and said BACK. My heart stopped.
Discs 9-11 bulging - when he pressed on his spine between his shoulder blades Sam pee'd all over the table. 2 shots - plus Rimadyl twice a day and crate.
We dodged a bullet - have a vet bill we cannot afford but I took them on - I will find a way. Please send :bigrayz: to my lil man-
Off to read everything I can find,.

Ivan
11-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Poor Sam. So much pain. The furkids don't deserve this. Wonder how he got hurt? We feel so sad for him, and for what he must now endure. Good that he got help right away, cuz they say speedy decompression can prevent paralysis.

Hugs for you too, Sandi. Maybe that new job will pull through. We're still pulling for you.

oceangirls
11-17-2011, 09:53 PM
I am so sorry, Sandi!! :hug99:

Lots of rayz for your cutie :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:.

Again, I say, our wienerdogs aren't put together quite right.

Lisa
11-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Oh God! Okay, step one, breath. Step two, breath again. Things can be much, much, much worse in the with doggie illness. That being said, it is a LONG haul. He will get better. Crate rest, drugs, and time. Pixel has been through this twice within a year (conservative care) and he is perfect today.

Mentally prepare yourself, he may get worse over the next few days, but then he will start to slowly improve day by day. You will need to pick up a sling for him so his back end will always be supported when you take him out to potty. You will also need to pick up a tummy protector to give him 1/2 hour before his drugs (I know you know this, just if there are any newbies reading this). Also mentally prepare yourself for the guilt and questioning if he will ever get better. He will. It is just a really slow process.

I am truly sorry you have to go through this. You will make it, and I will be right here with you.

Amy, Tex, Patrice etc. etc. have been through this. We can help you along.

areese
11-17-2011, 10:09 PM
CRATE REST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pepsid 1/2 hour before meds. 1/2 a regular strength pepsid is the dose for a ween.
Short potty breaks on leash.
lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and
lots of :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Mama S.
11-17-2011, 10:18 PM
am so very glad I have you guys. Totally spaced the pepsid thing. Kept saying to myself - I know there is something I'm missing but I was so freaked out - will go get it tomorrow.
Hershey is my man but Sam has always been my lil PITA puppy. My lil hairy footed hobbit dog.
Since his is so high between his shoulder blades do I still need to sling him? I ordered the dodgerlist dvd -
Doc Carroll said he was amazed that we didn't have paralysis as many and as bad as the discs were. Omi & Papa John watchin over us!!!
We go back next wed for an adaquane? shot.
Now how to keep myself from watching the rest of them until I make myself crazy. I have ramps everywhere - every stair on this property is covered up. How the crap did he screw up between his shoulder blades??
Of course Jamie is convinced someone hurt him and is trying to find someone to kill. You know he hates these dogs right?!
Gonna need some help with supplements - gotta start cheap right now but eventually will have everyone on them.

lotsadox
11-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Oh, Sandi. I"m so sorry. I'm convinced that sometimes it just happens. Wiener dogs aren't made quite right. It will be rough, but you can do this. We'll help you thru it. Pepcid, sling and a good set of ear plugs are a must. A stroller if you can manage (I know money is tight). Tracy bought a baby stroller at the garage sale for a few bucks that works just fine.

Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Lisa
11-17-2011, 10:29 PM
If he has neuro defects - wobbly walk, you will need a sling. Pixel did not start his drunken walk until day 3 (I am not trying to freak you out, the opposite, don't panic if it does happen).

Supplements - vitamin E. It is my #1 supplement now. You can do others, but I now make sure all the dogs get 100 iu of vitamin E each day.

He will need to pee much more often and will need to drink a lot more water because of the pred, so be prepared to wake up this evening.

He also might need tramadol for pain management.

Lisa
11-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Stroller saved my sanity (well... :rolleyes: ). But I survived the first time with just earplugs and the crate :) If you can find one cheap, great to have.

areese
11-17-2011, 10:35 PM
If he has neuro defects - wobbly walk, you will need a sling. Pixel did not start his drunken walk until day 3 (I am not trying to freak you out, the opposite, don't panic if it does happen).

Supplements - vitamin E. It is my #1 supplement now. You can do others, but I now make sure all the dogs get 100 iu of vitamin E each day.

He will need to pee much more often and will need to drink a lot more water because of the pred, so be prepared to wake up this evening.

He also might need tramadol for pain management.

He's on rimadyl, not pred. I believe. He of course can still take tramadol or a muscle relaxer if it is needed.

Lisa
11-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Yup, that is what she posted. I am getting threads confused again...duh!! The first time Pixel went down we had him on a steroid and he had us up at all hours. The second time we went for the NSAID - Metacam that is totally one benefit. We got to sleep through the night.

oceangirls
11-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Oh, Sandi. I"m so sorry. I'm convinced that sometimes it just happens. Wiener dogs aren't made quite right.

:ditto: I am fairly convinced it is genetic, so dispense with the guilt NOW. Wiener dogs are going to jump and bounce - it's what they do. I try to keep mine at a healthy weight and try to limit repeated jumping on hard surfaces, and unnecessary twisting... but they do what they do. You're a good Mama. Don't beat yourself up.

areese
11-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Laika was on prednisone and tramadol but I don't recall her waking me up to pee..and she was a total angel in the crate. go figure.

lotsadox
11-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Bogart was a crazy dog on Pred. He was mouthy and demanding and did have to pee a lot. I didn't sleep clear thru a night for weeks.

oceangirls
11-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Amber and Shelly (my/mom's cockers) also did not do well on prednisone. Starving, up all night, always needing to pee, and they would STARE at you (very disconcerting). Steroids are weird. Cass did way better than I expected on prednisone, but her dose for inflammatory rhinitis was not quite as high as my cockers were on (or the IVDD doses).

She's always hungry and STARING at me anyway, so the effects may have been less noticeable :sosad:.

areese
11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I am also weird on prednisone. I don't know if I stare...but I think I got 'roid rage.

stampendoxie
11-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Sending many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:for Sam. Sometimes I think that the doxie back just slowly has these issues start and they don't show us symptoms till it is bad. :hug99: to you Sandi

Two Red Smooth's
11-17-2011, 11:55 PM
No words of advice just :bigrayz: and :hug99:

alfina
11-18-2011, 12:15 AM
I am also weird on prednisone. I don't know if I stare...but I think I got 'roid rage.

Natasha was on pred last year when she had bronchitis with pneumonia. Talk about mood swings. Lets just say I left the house once with the dogs to get some fresh air and I could still hear her crying and screaming from outside. And she is a great kid without prednisone. I never expected THAT degree of mood swings.

Patt
11-18-2011, 01:04 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Sam. I hope the meds and crate rest help him, and he'll be feeling better soon.
Sending mega DLC magical healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: his way.

The supplement I give to Trixie and Fritz is Vetri-Disc (back support formula). They have been on it for years. I guess I've been really lucky, none of my dogs or me have had any bad reactions to Pred. Fritz is on it now.

AgileOllie
11-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Well crap. Like you need one more thing to worry about. :hug99::hug99::hug99: It IS going to be ok. It sounds like you caught it early and it's been my experience that the farther up the injury, the better the prognosis. Of course, I only have two dogs to compare too, so I'm not sure how TRUE that is. Ryan had strains in her neck and just below her shoulder blades. She never lost mobility and was fine in about 2 months. Caillou, on the other hand, went down three times in the same spot - though she had surgery the first time so I often wonder how that effected or caused the other two blow-outs...
Anyway- you have some great advice here. NONE of this is your fault. You know that! He's going to be fine. Promise.:hug99::hug99::hug99:

RustysMom
11-18-2011, 10:14 AM
oh no! I cant offer any advise but I can offer :hug99::hug99::hug99: & :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: Keep us updated ok!

Barb
11-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Rayz and Rayz and Rayz..... :hug99:

Tex
11-18-2011, 11:07 AM
1. Big HUGE hug to da Mama!
2. Don't buy a sling, I have one I can get in the mail to you ASAP.
3. I'm convinced it really does just happen sometimes.

Heck, I had (& still have) ramps EVERYWHERE & Jax has been through surgery twice. He's better than ever today. They DO recover. Hang in there!

Mama S.
11-18-2011, 12:28 PM
OK - day 1 is behind us. I can tell a remarkable difference in his pain level today. Now he is just mad at me cuz I won't let him out of the crate!!
Thought we were gonna be ok with sleeping as I went to bed quietly instead of my usual come on lets go to bed everyone and he was asleep in the crate. About 1 he woke up and realized :wtf2: where is everyone????

He IS drinking more - which of course means peeing more.
How often should I let him go potty? Last night he was literally biting at the crate door (was tied up with Myka) let him out he peed a river which made me feel bad that he had to wait. Damn this.

Heading out to see my best friend Wally and get some glu/chond for the whole gang.

Lisa
11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
If you are doing adequan, NO to the gluco & chond. Just get some low dose Vitamin E. 100 iu caplets.

You can give the rest of the herd the gluco & chond. though!!!

He will need to go out every couple of hours (like 4 or 5), and he will be drinking a lot more (in and out). He needs the water though, they can dry out very quickly when recovering.

That is awesome he is already doing better. WOOT. Pixel always gets worse before he gets better. :sosad:

lotsadox
11-18-2011, 01:17 PM
That is great that he's doing better. It seems like Bogart got a bit worse and then just stayed the same for a few days. It was a while before I saw any improvement. Way to go, Sam :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

michelehbc
11-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Oh God, I am so sorry. I am so so so sorry. It hurts so much to see them like that. I'm here for you.

jenfer
11-18-2011, 02:37 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for your little man!

LexieLuvr
11-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Adding a TON of get-well :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:! I can't offer any advice that you haven't gotten, except go to www.dodgerslist.com and see what else you can learn that you don't already know. It's NOT your fault, and it will be okay. Just one hour at a time, rather than one day at a time. And 6-8 weeks of crate rest is what I recommend. A couple of weeks extra is better than not enough weeks!

LUVMYGUNNER
11-18-2011, 11:21 PM
we have been very lucky with the adequan....hope he feels better soon.

Frankie'sMom
11-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Sam.

Alex's Mom
11-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Lordy, Mama! How on earth did I miss this?!? Bad Paula!!!!! HUGE :ditto: to what everyone else has said. NOT your fault! Sending tons and tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and just as many :hug99::hug99::hug99:. Keep us posted, ok?

Mama S.
11-19-2011, 01:43 PM
I woke up to see Sam laying next to me in bed - with a ball of socks. :wtf2: he was locked up in his crate last night???
Evidently we have had to have a talk with a certain young miss who let him out because " Sam was sad and crying Nana"
He is back in his crate - super pissed at me - can we say SUPER STINK EYE??? but I did let him keep his socks!!! :rotfl::rotfl:that idiot LOVES to grab socks!!
He still walks really weird? hard to explain but you can tell it is not a natural gate - was reading up on another post and saw the neck pillow thingy. Had the ah ha moment when I realized he was bunching his bedding up to rest his head higher - :rolleyes: Who ever called dogs stupid is the real idiot -
off to figure out how to raise the water bowl up - we have one of those 3 gallon self watering things>? So gotta find something to put it on to raise it up higher!

lotsadox
11-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Ah,yes, the drunken sailor walk. All of mine have had that to some extent after back injuries. It went away after a while. I can't really remember how long it took for it to go away. Mine also all had the humpback which went away in varying degrees.

Maybe a wooden box or one of those square cement landscaping slabs for the water dish? I'd go to Home Depot and just walk around. You can find a lot of stuff with "alternate uses" that way.

Rae
11-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Lordy, Mama! How on earth did I miss this?!? Bad Paula!!!!!

Um. NO to Bad Paula. You have plenty on your plate, sister.

And :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: to Sam I am. And da Mama. And da PJ.