PDA

View Full Version : Sam Follow up this morning UPDATE :(

Mama S.
11-23-2011, 09:24 AM
We've been doing pretty good t his week - he hates his crate but I've had to be deaf. Last night he started the shivering again so guess the shot has worn off. Will ask what to do for pain if it wears off again before we are due to go back. Was scared to try and give him anything so just loved him and let him know it would be ok. We go in at 9:30 so hopefully he will be better soon!

Lisa
11-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Lots and lots of rayz for Sam. He might need some tramadol for pain management.

Thinking of you both. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

areese
11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Lots and lots of rayz for Sam. He might need some tramadol for pain management.

Thinking of you both. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

:ditto:

Tex
11-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Continued rays for Sam & da Mama!!! Keep us posted :)

lotsadox
11-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99: Please keep us updated.

Mama S.
11-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Not good - he is showing signs of paralysis. 2 more shots- more crate rest. If he isn't better by Friday we are considering laser therapy. $50 a treatment or 6 for $250. Anyone with experience in laser therapy?
Dr Carroll bought the machine for the practice after having it done on his own back.
CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP.

He is back in his crate - you can tell he doesn't feel good and I was so friggin upset I forgot to ask about pain treatment. Boy comes home for lunch I'll go back them when I don't have to take Mykaylyn (daycare closed for holiday)

RustysMom
11-23-2011, 11:51 AM
continued :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Sam & :hug99: for you

lotsadox
11-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Oh, crap! I'm so sorry, Mama. I know how you feel. I have no words of wisdom but sending tons of Texas size :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Ivan
11-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Lotsa :bigrayz::bigrayz: for Sam. I'm sure it's scary for him. Paralysis is scary, and I hope the vets can still prevent that, and make him better again. Best wishes to Sam & Sandi.

What is laser therapy? I'm guessing burning away ruptured disk? Does it avoid surgery altogether? We ordered the Dodgers list DVD, and it just arrived, so we've not watched it yet. So much to learn.

Lisa
11-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Miss Mama, this is OKAY. When it happened, I tried to prepare you but did you listen?....nooooooo :)

Pixel was completely paralyzed on his left side. He could not stand on his own and needed support (sling) whenever he went out to potty.

Although it sucks, you have to stay the course. Crate rest, crate rest, crate rest.

Timeline (from my experience) for a leaking disc (blown disc is totally different and VERY fast).
2 - 3 WEEKS is just pain and healing. A total rollercoster of good / bad / good / bad. The paralysis comes because the disc is leaking fluid and putting pressure on the spinal cord. For the first two days with Pixel we couldn't really tell if something was even wrong with him...did he hurt his leg? Are you noticing something is "off" with him...etc..etc...but I knew, so I talk to the vet and got him on drugs right away. Even though we acted super fast, he still ended up experiencing paralysis. I really think it took 3 weeks to to control the pain and reduce the swelling. After the healing, comes the calcification. This is why the 6 - 8 weeks of crate rest. The body needs time to stop the leak and calcify itself so it doesn't open again. Sam basically has a slow tire leak vs. a blown out tire. The only thing that will heal it is time. The drugs are not healing him, they are reducing the swelling (to take the pressure off the spinal cord) and controlling his pain level.

After going through it with Pixel, I am a HUGE fan of acupuncture. I saw serious improvement after each session. Pixel only needed 3 or 4 sessions. It can be done while the dog is healing, because it also helps control pain. That being said, I would totally try the laser too if that is what they are suggesting.

Don't focus on the paralysis is the point of my ramblings. If he goes fully down, it does not mean he won't ever walk again. He needs time for the swelling to go down from his spinal cord. Support him when he goes out to potty, otherwise he is in his crate and you are wearing earplugs. Peanut butter Kongs are your friend. And some days when you are bawling because you look at him, and he seems so helpless, I am here for you!! I shed more tears than I can count going through it. This is a long road Sandi. I wish I could tell you different, but you will make it though, and he will recover.

Yolanda
11-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Not good - he is showing signs of paralysis. 2 more shots- more crate rest. If he isn't better by Friday we are considering laser therapy. $50 a treatment or 6 for $250. Anyone with experience in laser therapy?

laser therphy for down or wobbly dogs is the best thing invent since *** :sillylove: If you can swing the $$$ go for it.

AgileOllie
11-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Miss Mama, this is OKAY. When it happened, I tried to prepare you but did you listen?....nooooooo :)

Pixel was completely paralyzed on his left side. He could not stand on his own and needed support (sling) whenever he went out to potty.

Although it sucks, you have to stay the course. Crate rest, crate rest, crate rest.

Timeline (from my experience) for a leaking disc (blown disc is totally different and VERY fast).
2 - 3 WEEKS is just pain and healing. A total rollercoster of good / bad / good / bad. The paralysis comes because the disc is leaking fluid and putting pressure on the spinal cord. For the first two days with Pixel we couldn't really tell if something was even wrong with him...did he hurt his leg? Are you noticing something is "off" with him...etc..etc...but I knew, so I talk to the vet and got him on drugs right away. Even though we acted super fast, he still ended up experiencing paralysis. I really think it took 3 weeks to to control the pain and reduce the swelling. After the healing, comes the calcification. This is why the 6 - 8 weeks of crate rest. The body needs time to stop the leak and calcify itself so it doesn't open again. Sam basically has a slow tire leak vs. a blown out tire. The only thing that will heal it is time. The drugs are not healing him, they are reducing the swelling (to take the pressure off the spinal cord) and controlling his pain level.

After going through it with Pixel, I am a HUGE fan of acupuncture. I saw serious improvement after each session. Pixel only needed 3 or 4 sessions. It can be done while the dog is healing, because it also helps control pain. That being said, I would totally try the laser too if that is what they are suggesting.

Don't focus on the paralysis is the point of my ramblings. If he goes fully down, it does not mean he won't ever walk again. He needs time for the swelling to go down from his spinal cord. Support him when he goes out to potty, otherwise he is in his crate and you are wearing earplugs. Peanut butter Kongs are your friend. And some days when you are bawling because you look at him, and he seems so helpless, I am here for you!! I shed more tears than I can count going through it. This is a long road Sandi. I wish I could tell you different, but you will make it though, and he will recover.

YES YES YES!:ditto::ditto::ditto:

((big hugs)) It's gonna be alright!!!:love98:

Lisa
11-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I forgot to mention, after healing and calcification process, doesn't mean he will be walking perfect (so don't put extra pressure on yourself). The muscles and nerves all have to reconnect to the brain.

The first time Pixel went down he lost tons of muscle and seemed to talk longer to heal even though he did not lose as much function vs. the second time.

Pixel was bad...really really bad. It took him about 10 - 12 weeks before he was walking his little BLB walk. He has just started doing full zoomies and tight circles within the past month (and he went down in June!!).

lotsadox
11-23-2011, 02:50 PM
I agree, Lisa. Just because he's down now, doesn't mean he won't walk again. Bandit was completely down. I can't remember, but I think it took 4 - 6 weeks before she even stood much less walked. She may have done better if I had known what I know now. Bogart took 10 weeks to get back and he was still standing but that was about all he could do. Bandit made a full recovery (she always had a bit of drunken sailor walk, but could walk and run) and she was 13 at the time, I believe. Bogart was 15 and did make a complete recovery. The only vestige of his problems was a slightly bowed back.

Like Lisa says, earplugs, a stroller, a kong. These things will be your best friends. You can do this. We'll help.

pairodachs
11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
just seeing this now... sending MEGA :bigrayz: everyone here has great advice.

Breathe, it will be ok. Time is what it takes and it may get worse before it gets better. Try and be strong for your baby - they pick up on your emotions. One day at a time, Mama...

Frzframe
11-23-2011, 07:43 PM
I agree with everyone that some get worse before they start to improve. I'm shocked that the vet didn't give you anything for pain. Although a little doesn't hurt as totally pain free can cause problems with them thinking they are all better when they aren't. But, poor dude shivering with pain isn't what I mean. I hope he turns the corner and starts to heal quickly. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
11-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Lisa said it all. As far as laser therapy goes, I have no idea how it works, but my orthopedic doc said I need a knee replacement but cold laser therapy treatments once a month keep me relatively pain-free and that's a wonderful thing! Even the docs who use lasers don't really know how it works, it just works! The treatment is painless and takes ME 45 seconds in 3 places on my knee, and I'm done. However it works, it works!! Jack never had laser therapy the first time; he just had VOM and acupuncture, along with meds and crate rest, and recovered 100% until he went down totally a year later. As Lisa said, crate rest, crate rest, crate rest. One day at a time (sometimes one hour at a time). Lots of patience and Kong balls and ear plugs. I was lucky - Jack was SO good in his kennel, twice! If you can do laser therapy, do it. It works wonders on my knee!! I have heard of many dog owners who have used it on their dogs, with terrific results. Go for it!! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

stampendoxie
11-23-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm so sorry for the news at the vet today. I had a 4 year old go down years ago; like the others say it takes time. My little guy could not use either of his back legs. His problem was not something they felt surgery would help so we used meds, rest and acupuncture. This guy lived to be 17 years old this summer, his back was so bad it was time for him to go to the bridge. He had lived with that back for a long time. Hugs to you and rays for his healing.

Rae
11-23-2011, 09:36 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: all way around.

Stroller = all good.

Patt
11-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Many more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: coming your way for Sam.

michelehbc
11-24-2011, 03:49 AM
Oh, Mama. I know how you feel. When Chuck first showed signs of IVDD, I was scared shitless. You (and Sam) will get through this. I love you.

Alex's Mom
11-24-2011, 09:41 AM
What everybody's said, Mama. :hug99::hug99: It's be a VERY long time since I dealt with Maxe's back, and in those days, who knew from crate rest?? But with meds and strict controlling of activity, she made it through not one, not two but at least 4 disc attacks over 9 years. Partly cuz I got to recognize the signs before it developed into a full blown attack and nipped things in the bud. But patience patience patience and more patience is required. It's a long ol' road, but we're here for you every step of the way. Tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:. Keep us posted, ok?

Mama S.
11-24-2011, 10:41 AM
arrgg this dog is gonna drive me nuts. He won't pee when I get him out then he goes nuts trying to bite his way out of his crate to go pee. He sleeps all day until I want him to stay in the damn crate then he wants to bark all day. Stubborn lil piss head. Then I look at those sweet dark eyes and want to cry. My poor little shadow.
Vent over -

Lisa
11-24-2011, 10:44 AM
arrgg this dog is gonna drive me nuts. He won't pee when I get him out then he goes nuts trying to bite his way out of his crate to go pee. He sleeps all day until I want him to stay in the damn crate then he wants to bark all day. Stubborn lil piss head. Then I look at those sweet dark eyes and want to cry. My poor little shadow.
Vent over -

YUP, that sounds just about bang on :) :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

If he is not happy, be damn sure YOU are not going to be happy.

Yolanda
11-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Sandi,

Venting is Ok and we here all understand. Take care and Happy Thanksgiving.

lotsadox
11-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Oh, yeah. That would be about right. I grumbled and cried my way thru Bogarts 10 weeks of recovery. Hang in there. This too shall pass . . . (although probably not fast enough for you). :hug99::hug99::hug99: and :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Sam

Tex
11-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Have you tried giving him something to "do" in his crate. Jax was nutty the first time we had to do crate rest. A peanut butter filled long (frozen) did wonders. Also, fancy sling will be in the mail first thing in the morning. Use it for as long as you need.