PDA

View Full Version : Milo Butterfinger

Courtney
03-26-2006, 08:24 PM
I drove a very long way today to pick up this adorable puppy from a tiny shelter northwest of Fort Worth. As you can see he has a horrible case of demodectic mange. It did not stop him from being wiggly, bouncy, and licking my face and biting my ears. I love this dog!! The animal control person was calling him Milo, so I added the Butterfinger because he is kinda crunchy lookin like a butterfinger (haha!) and that's also the name of a bar in Dallas.

He's being fostered in Waco (by Rena for those of you who know her) and I do believe Linsey wants to get her hands on him - tee hee!!

http://static.flickr.com/56/118402185_fcf0f079ea.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/43/118401756_2927b67d7a.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/19/118243872_117f07570c.jpg

Lisa
03-26-2006, 08:26 PM
So sweet! Rayz for the little guy :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: If he's going to be in the care of Rena, he is one super lucky puppy!

alfina
03-26-2006, 08:27 PM
OMG, can't believe how bad his skin is. Poor poor pup!

areese
03-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Oh the poor crusty baby! I hope they get him well soon!

jennie_c_d
03-26-2006, 08:47 PM
http://www.hottopic.com/store/product.asp?LS=0&ITEM=237310

He needs that shirt. I bet he'll be adorable, once he's all healed up, seeing as he's pretty cute, bald:)

Helen
03-26-2006, 09:14 PM
http://www.hottopic.com/store/product.asp?LS=0&ITEM=237310

He needs that shirt. I bet he'll be adorable, once he's all healed up, seeing as he's pretty cute, bald:)

That is so perfect!

He is such an adorable little guy! And I love the name. Thanks for helping him out, Courtney.

Linus
03-26-2006, 09:46 PM
OMG Courtney!

I just met the little guy. He and Bailey hit it off IMMEDIATELY. I really really want him...I'd take him in a heartbeat too. I would MOVE for this dog. Soooo cute!!!

Rena and I decided he is a bit younger than 6 months though. His ummm..well..manly parts haven't descended and he only has his canines, a molar or two, and just a few front teeth.

I'm going to debate this for a little while. Maybe he's just what I need right now.

Courtney
03-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah....I was just going back over emails and the shelter worker said he was the same age as a wire female they got in a few weeks ago, and she was 4 months old. He's soo sweet! I miss him! I am jealous you got to go see him! :)

Linus
03-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Oh, and I will be going to see him a lot!! Its going to take awhile to clear that mange...maybe I can work something out by then!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Oh my Gosh! He' s a cutie! I' m sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for his condition to get cleared quick! He will be alot cuter when his coat is healthy!

I hope you get him Linsey!

oceangirls
03-26-2006, 10:05 PM
poor little guy. He is a cutie, though!

Linsey, it would be great if you decided to take him... no pressure though :D

Courtney
03-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Linsey -- take pictures of him!!! :) And make Rena bring him to Buda. That would rock if you got him!

JanUet
03-26-2006, 10:17 PM
:awww: He is so Precious. Sad to see his skin like that tho.
Knowing Rena, She will fix him up good!

Thanks for picking up the Lil Guy Courtney...Your a :love5:

I think that Linus would be a Perfect Mom for the Crusty fella! :hearts: :hearts:

Linus
03-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Dang you guys are making this hard! Courtney, if she doesn't bring him to Buda, I will!!

LUVMYGUNNER
03-27-2006, 12:07 AM
OMG that poor little guy.

lotsadox
03-27-2006, 12:33 AM
He's adorable! :hearts: I hope it works out for you Lins!

Mama S.
03-27-2006, 09:34 AM
OMG what a love. Such a hard start and he's still a wiggly kisser? That Linus seals the deal! Sending powerful DLC :bigrayz: that his skin clears up and he is in tip top shape really soon!!
Sandi

Jen
03-27-2006, 01:35 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Milo and :crossfin: for you Linsey!! Would you have to move in order to have a 2nd dog?

K2
03-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to that cutie!! :hearts: I'm sure Rena will fix him up. Good luck to you, Lins too!

Frzframe
03-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Oh poor baby! I know Rena will get him all fixed up. :D

Chris
03-27-2006, 03:36 PM
What a sweetie pie!

That's great to know that whatever horrible time he went through...it has not dampened his spirit :)

Bella's Mom
03-28-2006, 09:18 PM
What a sweet little boy! I'm sure he'll be good as new in no time! :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

jennie_c_d
03-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Just so you know, in case you don't....

Puppies who have generalized demodex often reccur as adults. They have a compromised immune system, and often have pretty severe allergies. They do require some extra care, forever. Miss Emma (the queen of doggie issues) had about as much hair as Milo, when she was 6 months old. I got on top of it as soon as I realized that she had something going on.... It still took over her whole, little body, and she became very ill from the treatment that the vet chose to use (oral Ivermectin for 45 days). She's broken out twice, since then, but not nearly as severe. I've completely given up on chemical treatments for her, as her allergies and seizures are far worse now than when she was a puppy. I treat her holistically, and she does just fine. It's something to think about.

Patt
03-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Aww poor baby but such a cutie. :hearts: There was another Dachsie in rescue sometime back her name was Rosie and you couldn't tell what color she was she was so bad. She recovered and I believe was adopted. I'm sure Rena will take very good care of him. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray:ers for Milo.

Chrystyna
03-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Puppies who have generalized demodex often reccur as adults. They have a compromised immune system, and often have pretty severe allergies. They do require some extra care, forever.

That's the case at our house also. Tex had a severe case of demodex that took months to cure. He came in to rescue with it and even after they had him 7 mo's they were still working on him. He's "relapsed" twice (it happens when he's stressed), but thankfully nothing in the last 4 or 5 months. When it happens I have to get out his oh so favorite thing...Ivermectin! He's a trooper though and takes it without fighting me!

Here's a picture of him after he had been in rescue a couple of months (and this was an improvement of what he originally looked like)!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/wickedchick/Clark/clark002Small.jpg

jennie_c_d
03-30-2006, 06:26 PM
That's the case at our house also. Tex had a severe case of demodex that took months to cure. He came in to rescue with it and even after they had him 7 mo's they were still working on him. He's "relapsed" twice (it happens when he's stressed), but thankfully nothing in the last 4 or 5 months. When it happens I have to get out his oh so favorite thing...Ivermectin! He's a trooper though and takes it without fighting me!

Here's a picture of him after he had been in rescue a couple of months (and this was an improvement of what he originally looked like)!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/wickedchick/Clark/clark002Small.jpg

Poor guy! Ivermectin is pretty awful. What is does.... is basically work FOR their immune system and fight off the mites. When you take them off of it, their immune system is used to not functioning. It pretty much crushes the immune system. That's one of Emma's many problems. She was treated with very strong doses of Ivermectin, for a month and a half. It started a ton of issues.