PDA

View Full Version : Cushings Babies

catstamm
03-26-2006, 08:59 PM
If anyone out there is dealing with Cushings, I learned a lot with my Hans. I can offer my opinion, what I learned and my support:bighug: Hans passed this last November with complications but, he lived to the ripe old age of 15 w/ cushings for his last 5 yrs. Hans was the Man.... a proud and brave :angel7: :angel7: boy until his last breath....:angel7:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/catstamm/hanscopy.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/catstamm/IMG_1672.jpg

Alex's Mom
03-26-2006, 09:08 PM
What a little sweetie he was!! Even hooked up to his intravenous he looks like a real cutie patootie! :angel7: :hearts:

An interesting thing about Cushings...Alex tested borderline positive for it about 5 years ago, so it was treated with anipryl and diet, which made some of the symptoms go away. It never seemed to get any worse, so my vet and I had our suspicions that something else was going on, or that it was a false positive (although we tested her a few times over the course of a year). However, when the cancer was discovered about a year later (after I'd moved to Ottawa and was going to the useless vet I've mentioned elsewhere :mad: ), two of my vet friends were at an internal medicine conference, and sat in on a lecture about Cushings. It turns out that sometimes when a borderline diagnosis like that is made, it can actually be a leiomyosarcoma, which is exactly what Alex had. Just another (worrisome) tidbit to add to the mill :)

Helen
03-26-2006, 09:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your Hans. That first picture just takes my breath away, and in the second you can really tell what a trooper he must have been. :hug99:

Thanks for offering up your expertise. Hopefully we don't/won't have any members who need it, but it's great to have the resource.

catstamm
03-26-2006, 09:35 PM
That is an interesting tidbit Paula.... I know what you mean about useless vets I hear a lot of terrible stories ...it's too bad the animals don't have more rights or people don't know better. I listen to the Vet and follow my gut...afterall I'm their mom and I know best. Twice I was told to change the dose of Hans' meds...I told the vet I disagreed...didn't change it and in the end ...I was right, his dose was perfect...Mother knows best..now only if my humans kids thought that were true :rotfl: Hans was on Trilostane and I use to order it from the UK...it wasn't legal over here... it is actually a medication for people with Cushings and it is much less toxic than anything we could get over here from a Vet. Hans did great on it and the people in the UK were great and very supportive.

Patt
03-29-2006, 01:34 AM
Thanks for offering your knowledge and support on Cushings. I'm sorry to hear about Hans, he looked like a sweet little guy. It's amazing he lived 5 years after being Dx'd, you were lucky, must have been your TLC. :hearts: My little Gretta was borderline Cushings so never on meds.

Courtney
03-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Hans is adorable!! My first dachshund had Cushing's, though I was a teenager when he died so I don't remember anything about it. It's great to have you on board as a resource!

Lisa
03-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Hans is adorable! I agree, it's great to have you here as a resource for us.

:bighug:

Jen
03-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Hans was so sweet, and its good to know he lived to a nice old age despite the Cushings. And I'm glad you're here as a resource, should we need you!

oceangirls
03-29-2006, 01:53 PM
thanks for posting this - even if no one needs it now, they'll find it if they do a search when needed in the future :)

Hans was just adorable! I'm glad he had a long life despite his diagnosis.

Mama S.
03-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Just one more reason to love the DLC:cheer2: We have some of the most wonderful members who are a veritable fount of information for us who have never experienved one thing or another! What an :angel7: to volunteer your input!
Sandi