PDA

View Full Version : Buddy update, 6 wks after surgery

Ivan
01-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Here's how Buddy walks nowadays, 6 wks after surgery. Overall, it's not great, but not bad. It seemed better 1.5 wks ago? The PT said to take longer walks, so this was his 2nd walk. I had to carry him only part way home. At home, he stumbles and falls over more, drunken sailor style. Outside, he's better cuz he tries harder, w/ lots to sniff & pee. His foot placement is mostly what's askew. And his gait now has a weird waddle, maybe from being a hunchback? I hope that goes away soon. He likes to cheat by bunny hopping. He still has trouble lifting his legs, to climb onto a pillow or over the door step. But, he can walk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3O43c_iIec

k3O43c_iIec

areese
01-29-2012, 12:16 PM
I think he looks good. It is definitely purposeful walking, not spinal walking. he will get stronger. Another thing you can do to promote coordination is lay a few low bars on the ground...like broom handles?? And entice him over with treats. This will improve the coordination in his rear...
Use lots of praise for this. Also, if he can walk somewhere that is really interesting..lots of smells and interesting things to check out, he will be more motivated. I would take Laika out on our property...did some small slopes and stuff too to strengthen that rear.

Lisa
01-29-2012, 12:19 PM
He is doing great! It take a long time until they are 100% Slow and steady. I don't think we even let Pogo walk on his own until 8 weeks, so Buddy is progressing very quickly.

Yolanda
01-29-2012, 12:45 PM
That a great video and He is doing realy well.

Take him out on the path in the woods and let him feel different textures on his feet. It will help a lot too.

lotsadox
01-29-2012, 01:02 PM
He's walking very much like Amanda walked after her surgery. He's doing the thing where they move the legs on the same side together instead of moving alternate legs together. In other words, right front-right back together instead of right front-left back. Amanda did that for quite a while as did Bandit. As I remember swimming helped to strengthen their back end and improve coordination.

I think the broom handle idea of Amy's sounds good. That will probably help a lot.

alfina
01-29-2012, 01:26 PM
I think he looks very nice. The main thing he IS WALKING! And as he gets stronger, it will get better. You are doing a good job with him

LexieLuvr
01-29-2012, 02:15 PM
He's doing great! A lot of tissue was damaged during surgery and it takes a LONG time for everything to heal, and for nerves to connect. Baby steps - one day at a time. He's doing great, truly he is!:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

stampendoxie
01-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Aww Buddy you are looking great! Rehab after surgery is HARD work.

RustysMom
01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Buddy looks great! thank you for posting an update and the video!

Ivan
01-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Our worry is that Buddy is stumbling more, not less, since his hydro-therapy. And at home, he still falls a lot, sometimes dragging his rear. I don't think it's sore muscles. I hope he didn't overstrain and cause more damage. How can we tell? Or is all this just normal? Should we confine him more, not less?

alfina
01-30-2012, 06:05 PM
What kind of floors do you have at home?

Ivan
01-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Nothing is slippery. Carpets everywhere. Even on kitchen floor, where we laid a temporary broadloom carpet for Buddy.

lotsadox
01-30-2012, 06:24 PM
He may just not have all of his functions completely back yet. I'd go with what the surgeon says to do. You might give him a bit more support to help him out and not let him overdue. Controlled walking only and maybe even a sling.

alfina
01-30-2012, 06:27 PM
I would give your surgeon a call, if you noticed a decline after the PT session and let them know. And follow their instructions. When Sabrina had her surgery the follow up visits and consultations were free for up to 6 months.

oceangirls
01-30-2012, 11:33 PM
It is definitely purposeful walking, not spinal walking.

What is "spinal walking??"

areese
01-31-2012, 09:08 AM
I would give your surgeon a call, if you noticed a decline after the PT session and let them know. And follow their instructions. When Sabrina had her surgery the follow up visits and consultations were free for up to 6 months.

:ditto::ditto::ditto: I'd give them a call.

areese
01-31-2012, 09:17 AM
What is "spinal walking??"

Spinal walking is like reflex walking. The dog doesn't have deep pain, only reflex. but somehow they walk. It's purposefull, but the dogs often have trouble turning.
http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/IVDDcourse/spinal_walking.html

Patt
02-01-2012, 02:30 AM
Our worry is that Buddy is stumbling more, not less, since his hydro-therapy. And at home, he still falls a lot, sometimes dragging his rear. I don't think it's sore muscles. I hope he didn't overstrain and cause more damage. How can we tell? Or is all this just normal? Should we confine him more, not less?
I noticed in the vid he stumbled, maybe he over did the walking a bit. I would check with your vet tomorrow to be sure "stumbling and falling a lot" is normal.

Ivan
02-01-2012, 12:58 PM
So now we're back to our normal daily routine. No more confinement. With daily walks through the forest, he's improving again. So maybe he really was just sore & cranky? He had a sore tummy for a few days (stole my chocolate chip cookie), so that made him lethargic. But now he's eating & perky again. Darn, I wish he wouldn't do this to me.

Our next PT appt is tomorrow morning. We haven't tried walking over broom sticks yet, but we will. He still walks with that strange waddle (move both L, then both R). He still stumbles too. Not sure how long he'll do that. Today, after peeing, he often scratched the ground with all 4 paws. That's great. Another positive outcome is that Buddy has become even more of a snuggler, which is so nice. I like snuggles.

LexieLuvr
02-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Baby steps, baby steps. Don't expect recovery to be quick - in fact, the slower he recovers, IMO, the better off he will be and the stronger he will become. I could have removed Jack from crate rest at 6 weeks, but I chose 8 just to be safe and give him more recovery time. More recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:!!

Tex
02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Our doggie PT used a balance board to help strengthen and coordinate leg muscles. Might be something to ask your PT about at the next appointment. They are really easy to use and make. If you want/need more info. let me know. Would be happy to help. But, ask your PT first, as every dog is different. Glad he's doing better!:cheer3:

Ivan
02-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Buddy saw both his surgeon & PT yesterday. Both said he's doing great, progressing normally, and to keep working him, but gently. Both said it's too soon for drills, like broomsticks or swimming. Just walking must come first. Since he's mostly a couch potato, constant confinement is no longer needed. Walking about is good for him. They noticed that his stumbling happens when turning, not going straight, and so that's perfectly normal too, as he re-learns fine balance. His minor hunchback and waddle gait are temporary & normal. So, he's cool. That's my boy!

alfina
02-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Good news. He is such a good boy and is so handsome

RustysMom
02-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Wonderful update!

lotsadox
02-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Great news! It sounds like he's right on track :cheer3::cheer3:

Yolanda
02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Yep, he is your boy and a very lucky boy at that. :cheer3::cheer3:

Mama S.
02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:I have to stop myself from watching Sam & Scooby's every step because I see things that are not there. So friggin worried that I imagine seeing things.
Doc told us the bunny hop thing is ok - he only does it when he tries to run and he laughed at me when I told him the turd was mere catting me!!:rolleyes:

Good thing I don't drink!

HokieMom
02-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I am so glad he got a great report from PT AND Vet! Way to go Buddy! :cheer3:

When one of my grand-dogs had IVDD surgery, we said it looked like he was learning to walk in high heels for a while. Happy to say that recovery was complete and now you'd never know he had surgery.

One thing I found interesting - my grand-dog is a beagle/dachshund/jrt mix so he's tri color. When they shaved his back for the surgery - what ever color his fur was - that was the color of his skin. So where he had white fur - it was white skin and black fur - he had black skin. Brown fur - brown skin.

I just thought their skin was one color. Learn something new every day!

LexieLuvr
02-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Glad you got positive updates!!! More recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:.