PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor - What Are You Substituting?

HokieMom
02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
With the current stop on production of Interceptor - what heartworm medications are you all using?

Millie has taken her last pill and is due for another one a couple of weeks and I was wondering what you all are doing for a replacement.

Thanks!

RustysMom
02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Ive never used Interceptor. my vet has never suggested it, maybe its something I would have to have asked for? but we have always used Heartguard and we have never had any heartworm problems, thank doG! I am however curious to learn what others say.

areese
02-16-2012, 12:52 PM
I got 6 doses for each dog!!!! whooohoooo! I don't do year round HW meds so I should be good for the summer. From what I understand, other preventatives are just fine..I just worry about whipworms due to living in the boonies and going to lots of dog events...But there are treatments for that too. Interceptor is the only HW preventative that works on that also, as well as other parasitic worms. I believe other HW meds work on other worms, just not whipworms.

Alex's Mom
02-16-2012, 12:57 PM
I asked Jane about this. Apparently it is the one Novartis plant in the US that was screwing up not just veterinary drugs but also human ones (no quality control). She was going to check to see if Novartis Canada is still making it (they have a plant in Mississauga), or if they just do the packaging up here. It may be that you can get it in Canada, but not the US. I'll let you know what she has to say.

areese
02-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Actualy Novartis ONLY screwed up human meds. Is it weird I find that a relief LOL??

lotsadox
02-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Actualy Novartis ONLY screwed up human meds. Is it weird I find that a relief LOL??

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I feel the same way.

I use ivermectin that my vet mixes up for me according body weight of the dogs. I've never had trouble with any other kinds of intestinal worms so I've never worried about it either way. I've used the ivermectin for years now with good results and I live in heartworm central here. We have to give preventative year round. Before that I used Hearguard for many years with good results.

AgileOllie
02-16-2012, 01:57 PM
We like advantage multi here. We also use it for hw treatment!

RustysMom
02-16-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't do year round HW meds so I should be good for the summer. .

Amy, if you dont mind I ask, what months do you do it for. I was going to talk to our vet about doing this. Its the summer we have to worry about here, not the winter.

LexieLuvr
02-16-2012, 02:20 PM
I used Heartgard, year around here. I've seen mosquitoes every month of the year in Texas so can't take any chances.

lotsadox
02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
I used Heartgard, year around here. I've seen mosquitoes every month of the year in Texas so can't take any chances.

If it gets even a bit warm, I see mosquitos here so I don't take chances either.

Lisa
02-16-2012, 06:25 PM
I use ivermectin & diatomaceous earth.

Months I do ivermectin, May, June, July, August, Sept, October & November. I do DE all year.

areese
02-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Amy, if you dont mind I ask, what months do you do it for. I was going to talk to our vet about doing this. Its the summer we have to worry about here, not the winter.

A month after I see the first mosquitoes, since it is not a preventative, but kills the microfillaria. So once I regularly see mosquitoes, wait a month and start them. Then give it until a month after a good freeze. Usually give last dose in November. So it kinda depends on the weather and wetness etc. But around May sometimes I believe is when I start.

RustysMom
02-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks Amy! That's what I was thinking.

Patt
02-17-2012, 10:14 PM
I use Sentinel. It controls flea populations (eggs not adult fleas), and adult hookworms. Also controls and removes adult roundworm and whipworms. I use Sentinel year round.