PDA

View Full Version : Owey's got a sore neck... UPDATE 3-7

areese
02-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Not sure exactly what it is of course but he just seemed "off" for a few days. Really hard to pinpoint but he seemed worried about Segue jumping on him (Owen played with him a few times so Segue jumps at him all the time) so I made that stop. Good appetite and all but I noticed when he'd go to shake himself, it wasn't a good shake. I gently tested his neck and it definitely hurt when turning to the side. He walks and runs fine.
So off to the vet in the snowstorm today. Yes, his neck is sore. can't say if it's a disc or muscle of course. Got pred. and he got a shot of valium to relax his muscles. Didn't seem to affect him too much...he ran errands with me since I was out and he just hung out in the crate in the car and had some treats.
He's just hanging out for now in the puff bed. I'll have to figure out what to do with him sunday but I can stay with him tomorrow. he can't be crated when I'm gone..he just doesn't tolerate the crate but maybe I can set up a pen right around the puff bed and if Salsa is with him, he'll prob. be ok. For some reason, he never recovered from his shelter experience and freaks in a crate and hurts his nose :( I have a stroller but I don't know about leaving him in it when I'm not there. Luckily, things are so quiet here. no neighbors, no visitors, the dogs can't see out the windows, no stairs, he doesn't get on the couch or bed. he seems very comfortable tonight so far.

Ivan
02-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Oh no!!! I hope the prednisone does the trick. Sending lotsa health :bigrayz: :bigrayz::bigrayz: for little Owen. Maybe he needs a cervical collar too?

Kasianni
02-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Sending tons of :bigrayz:for Owen, hope he is feeling better soon. :hug99:

areese
02-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Oh no!!! I hope the prednisone does the trick. Sending lotsa health :bigrayz: :bigrayz::bigrayz: for little Owen. Maybe he needs a cervical collar too?

It really doesn't seem to be bothering him much...had him up to give him his meds and he did a nice whole body shake. So I think it's working already. His puff bed is so nice..it's a gigantic round soft but firm bad...like a beanbag chair but not with beans. It sorta forms to however he wants to lay. and it's by the heat vent :)

lotsadox
02-25-2012, 12:40 AM
My vet recommends xpens made small for a lot of dogs who don't do well in crates. She deals with a lot of rescued dogs and says lots of them don't do well in crates. She said that they are more apt to heal well if they are happy and not stressed which seems right. I'm sure he'll be okay in an xpen with Salsa. Better than stressing him out and having him hurt himself in a crate.

Ivan
02-25-2012, 01:17 AM
The good news is that prednisone hides the pain; bad news is it masks it before the healing's done. I'm happy that Owey feels better already.

Patt
02-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Sending lots of healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: to Owen. I hope he's doing better soon.

One of my dogs didn't do well in a crate way too stressful. I set up the x-pen for him and it worked out well. Owen will probably just sleep in his puff bed until you get home. :crossfin:

Alex's Mom
02-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Poor Owie Owen!! :crossfin: that its a muscle and not a disc. Tons and tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:, ITA about the x-pen. Maxe couldn't be crated either, and through all her back issues, I just closed her in a small area when I had to go out, and she did fine. (This was before I knew about x-pens.) Keep us posted, Amy!

oceangirls
02-25-2012, 09:01 AM
x-pen sounds like a good plan. I was thinking about setting it up for Angel to give her a change of environment, but she seems cool with her tiny crate so far.

Lots of rayz for Owen! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::crossfin:

Tex
02-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Deer Owen,

I iz bery sowy dat you haz an owie. Pwease take it eazy & feel betters. I will notz eben be jealous if you hangs out in da x pen with Salsa all day.

Lub,
Jewly

P. S. my mudder says she sends da healing rays

Lisa
02-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Oodles of rayz for Owen Weenie! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

areese
02-25-2012, 11:48 AM
He of course is feeling great this morning. Tap dancing for breakfast and now sleeping on the puff with Salsa. he slept right by my head all night LOL. No shivering or problems so it's the long wait until we taper off the pred and see how he is..

Red Haired Girl
02-25-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm glad he is feeling better this morning. I'm hopefully optimistic that it was just a strain. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
02-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Darn, I'm just seeing this (started a new job yesterday and also have company so I've been stressed and very busy) but I'm sending Owey a TON of get-well :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:!! Hope he will be fine.:hug99:

AgileOllie
02-25-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm sorry I missed this!! I'm glad he seems to be doing better. !!!

AnnMarieK
02-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Happy to hear he seems to be doing better !!!!!

areese
03-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Last day of pred today (1/4 dose) and there has been no recurrence of any symptoms. He's bright and happy (and hungry). His old silly tap-dancing self. I'm quite sure it was muscular, not a disc. whew.

Lisa
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Yay, happy update!

lotsadox
03-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Last day of pred today (1/4 dose) and there has been no recurrence of any symptoms. He's bright and happy (and hungry). His old silly tap-dancing self. I'm quite sure it was muscular, not a disc. whew.

Phew! Thanks for the update!

RustysMom
03-07-2012, 11:11 AM
wonderful update! I was going to ask about him.

Alex's Mom
03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
:woohoo: That's great news, Amy!!! *phew*

HokieMom
03-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Sports injury! Glad he's better!

areese
03-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Sports injury! Glad he's better!
I'm thinking it was a chewing injury cuz they had beef tendons. He is a really um...ENERGETIC chewer and was ripping it apart by holding it down with his feet and pulling at it..I think he could have wrenched his neck that way..

LexieLuvr
03-07-2012, 08:55 PM
GREAT news, Amy! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Tanya
03-07-2012, 11:35 PM
I missed the original post, but I'm glad he's doing better! :cheer3:

Patt
03-08-2012, 04:25 AM
Great update. Good to hear he's just about back to his old silly self. :cheer3: