PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment ideas for crated dogs?

oceangirls
02-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Angel is a dream in the crate. Seriously. She shows no pain or neurological problems at this point, but she seems to find it perfectly reasonable that she's in a crate that gets moved from room to room, as long as her mom is nearby and her sister is within sight (and not getting special privileges). I don't know :conf4:. She's good.

Nevertheless, I would like to know what those of you who have crated your dogs in the past have done for entertainment. I've done CET chews (these are like dog tranquilizers for some reason, and they always fall asleep after a chewing session :scratch: - but I don't want to give them too often), and Kongs stuffed with biscuits and/or frozen with peanut butter/pumpkin and kibble. She has one of those gerbil water bottles and LOVES it (as DH says, it fits her OCD personality to get to LICK something when she wants water). I have a stroller being shipped so we can go for a walk. I thought about buying a second travel crate and taking them both for a drive today (beautiful weather) but was afraid they'd think they were going to the vet and freak out :sosad:.

Ideas for entertainment? Toys? (I have not been giving her her "supper pig" because she likes to shake it) Other types of Kong stuffers?

LexieLuvr
02-25-2012, 09:05 PM
When Jack was crated, nothing I gave him entertained him - he just wanted me to stay by him and he'd lay there and watch me. Sorry I'm no help. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Ivan
02-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Fwiw, Buddy didn't want entertainment. No toys, chewies, etc. In short, same as when he's NOT crated. Perhaps it shouldn't be surprising, yet it was for me. I'd go stir crazy, but he didn't. He just lay quietly & content, all day, every day. I worked from home. Really, all he wanted was to be right beside us, at all times. Stroller made that easy.

Is entertainment perhaps a human need? Neither of ours ever plays with toys, nor chewies. Do yours? Is Angel a couch potato too? If Angel is content, maybe she's OK w/o entertainment? You'd know best.

Um, I think it was Dodgerslist where I read a cute caution about spoiling them during confinement, cuz afterward you'll have to suffer the monster you created. It seems they'll still expect those treats? :rotfl:

oceangirls
02-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Good observations, actually. The majority of her activities include chewing Nylabones, rhythmically licking the carpet, and lying with me and her sister while we watch TV... all of which she can still do in the crate. She does enjoy flinging her pig around at mealtimes, a brief period of barking and pouncing at invisible demons around 9PM, and a few minutes of Ninja fighting with her sister. All of which takes about- um - seven minutes a day. Hmmm. No wonder she's content in the crate :).

Maybe I need entertainment options for the NON-crated dog :scratch:

lotsadox
02-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Once I got the stroller for Bogart and could move him from room to room with me, he was perfectly happy. Mostly he just slept in the stroller or watched me. I'd give him a bone once in a while to chew, but that was about it. My dogs are also couch potatoes so they don't do that much anyway. :rotfl:

Tex
02-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Jax was a big fan of frozen peanut butter filled kongs. Just what he preferred. Freezing them made them last longer.

Two Red Smooth's
02-26-2012, 12:10 AM
If you're worried about weight gain...if she likes green beans you can do those in the blender and fill the kong with that for some hours of eating. Maybe when you're out you can put her by the tv with a show you'd watch.

BarbaraClark
02-26-2012, 03:36 AM
A kong filled with peanut butter or a bone.

Lisa
02-28-2012, 10:12 PM
If she seems content, I think she is good. Some dogs are just happy little Angels. You are so lucky - not about her going down, but that she is bouncing back so quick and being so amazing. ((green with envy)).

You will LOVE the soft-side mobile elevated crate :)

I used frozen peanut- butter kongs and North American (hard) rawhide - not the paper kind or the kind that gets mushy.

I give them this type of rawhide.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2522/4133457893_2fe2fe01a3_o.jpg