PDA

View Full Version : Bad Champ

iliveinazoo
03-27-2006, 08:08 PM
We adopted our third doxie three weeks ago, and everything was going fine
until four days ago. He decided to tear the carpet to shreds by the front door and had decided that cat poop taste good. My other two doxies
are stubborn, but I have never had this problem. My daughter is at school
all day, my husband and I work, but I only work part-time and my job allows
me the time to go home and let the dogs out and be with them for awhile.
Has anybody ever had the same problem? I am not quite sure what to do,
but have started leaving him in the backyard with our red heeler when
we are not home.

Helen
03-27-2006, 08:34 PM
First off, welcome to the board!

Destruction of your property while your pupper is by himself can mean he's either bored or suffering from separation anxiety. I'm including the links to 2 really great tip sheets that might help you out. One is on SA, and the other is about crate training, which can really come in handy with dachsies.

Crate training (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html)

Separation anxiety (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/separation_anxiety.html)

I hope they help you out a little. I'm sure others will have more suggestions soon.

As for the cat poop, I don't know what to tell you. Is it possible to put the litter box somewhere your pup can't get to it? Or they have these top entry (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZS20I/qid=1143509574/sr=8-9/ref=pd_bbs_9/103-9129488-8352645?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=284507) litter boxes you can buy.

Good luck!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-27-2006, 09:22 PM
I suggest you baby-gate the pupper to the kitchen where there' s nothing to get into. Yes, mine have gotten into some things too. I came home to chewed chapstick tubes, gum, breath mints, candles, paper towels, tissue, newspaper, magazines, and the puppies ate a 1/2 bag of Tostitos & tore open a bag of powdered milk. Then there' s the usual clothing scattered around the house. I learned to keep things out of reach!!! Baby-gates are a pups best friend after crates! If you are only away from home a few hrs. crate training is the way to go but any longer than that I baby-gate mine to the kitchen & make sure give them stuffed Kongs.

iliveinazoo
03-28-2006, 07:49 AM
thank you all. I had been thinking about buying a cat box with a lid, since
the location of the cat box is about the only place we can put it. I will
try what the article about sa said, and do some crate training.
I still do have some baby gates, may have to pull them back out.

Otto'sMom
03-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Leaving him in the back yard can be dangerous. Doxies are cute as buttons and just as easy to steal. We've got an ad in the paper right now asking for info on who's poisoning dogs in their own back yards.:sosad:
My dogs are cat poop aficionados. I keep them in kennels or in rooms without boxes during the day, clean the boxes immediately when I get home so there's nothing for them to sample. I use baby gates extesively, and any time I catch someone headed for the Kitty Krunchie Buffet, I give a holler and make them get away. I still get a cat litter kiss occasionally, but have puppy breath mints for them.
Follow Laurie and Helen's advice. Crating and baby gates are the way to go.

Dijon04
03-28-2006, 08:39 AM
teee heee i thought my family was the only one to call the litter box the 'buffet'. mikeyd was notorious about visiting the all you can eat buffet but we just got a litter box with a top lid on it so its not as easy for him to get to

Lisa
03-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Cat poop = delicacy for some doxies, so you will need to try the lid kind if poop breath isn't working for you.

Since he is a rescue, you might not know his complete history and it does totally sound like Separation Anxiety to me. This is behavioral and you and your family will have to work on it everyday. Putting him in the back yard is dangerous, because if it is SA, he could dig and dig and hurt his back, escape, or suffer from heat stroke exhausting himself trying to get to you.

Imagine your 4 year old lost in a huge mall, and the terror you would have, that is what your dog is experiencing, he is terrorized that you aren't in his care. An awesome book is The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell. She really explains SA well and steps to overcome it.

:welcome2: thank you for being a rescue :angel7: all dachshunds can be a challenge, but they are so worth the love you get in return.

Courtney
03-28-2006, 11:40 AM
I can't really add anything to the info already given. Putting him in the backyard will cause way more problems than it solves. Crating or baby-gating is the way to go!

And I just have to say that I had no idea about the top-lid litter boxes. I think it's going to change my life!!!!!

Jen
03-28-2006, 11:48 AM
No better advice than what's already been given except to recommend I'll Be Home Soon by Patricia McConnell if it is a separation anxiety problem. It was very helpful and we've pretty much cured our Tasha's mild SA by following the steps and being consistent.

Oh and of course, :welcome6: :welcome7:!!

No cats in our household, but Tasha LOVES horse apples!!

Otto'sMom
03-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Otis, my 'big boned' cat couldn't use the box with a lid on it. He's too fat to fit through the hole.:sosad: So I had to get an uncovered one. Thank goodness I don't have to look at it just sitting out in the middle of the room.

Michelle
03-28-2006, 01:07 PM
First of all :welcome2: to our group!!,

I agree with everyone else that mentioned the crate training and baby gates. Especially since he is a new addition to your home and a rescue. It is hard to know what his previous home situation was like.

As for the kitty krunchies the top entry litter boxes should do the trick since you don't have anywhere else to place it out of his reach.

I think the crate training works the best because it will put a stop to all the chewing and destructive behavior. You may still experience some of that with just gating him off with baby gates, he can still chew on the gate, the corner of the walls, the trim etc.. I have heard about Doxies that have chewed into walls and chewed up the wood trim in the room they were blocked off in. I think the crate offers more of a save haven or den for him and he will see the crate as his special place..

Hope some of the suggestions will work for you and once again Welcome to the board!!!!!

We need pictures too!!!!

Mama S.
03-29-2006, 05:20 PM
:welcome2: to our home away from home!! You have now explained why my guys are crated when I'm not home! Stinker decided to eat the carpet dead center of the room!! Good luck!
Sandi

iliveinazoo
03-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi
I bought a litter box with a lid, and that problem has been solved. Now
just to work on the sa. :cheer2:

Bella's Mom
03-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Good advice given so far. Bella had her own "area" blocked with a baby gate and has gradually "graduated" to larger spaces as she's gotten older. Good look with Champ, I'm sure it will get better soon.