PDA

View Full Version : Spirit's Eye Appointment

Sophie and Lili's Mom
03-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Good news: He is in no pain what-so-ever

Bad news: He is totally blind and it is beyond repair

Dr. Yu-Speight said that he has retinal degeneration and at this point there is not enough left to do anything with. The reason is impossible to pin down without further testing. It could be abuse, it could be genetic. Since it would not do anything to improve the situation, she does not feel there is any point in further testing. Yes, it would most likely let us know the cause of the blindness but the damage cannot be reversed at this point. He is otherwise healthy.

She did recommend a book "Living With Blind Dogs" by Caroline D. Levin RN. She said it is a great read and has excellent ideas for assisting a dog in learning to cope. Since in a way Spirit is newly blind (his seeing eye dog is gone) I have ordered the book. It should be here Fri. I will let you know what I think of it.

None of this is surprising to me and even though it does not bring closure for us, it does for him, as far as I am concerned. He is blind, we will teach him how to be blind and happy. If he was abused...the abuser will pay in time, we just won't get to see it. I am a firm believer in that no matter what your religion, if you do something as evil as abuse, you will suffer. I don't need to worry about that...I need to worry about helping Spirit.

LUVMYGUNNER
03-28-2006, 05:41 PM
I was so hopeing he could be helped, poor baby.

Jen
03-28-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm so glad Spirit is not in pain, and that you've ordered a good book to help him cope! Its sad that nothing can be done though. I used to help a lady with two blind beagles (former abused mill dogs) and you'd totally forget they were blind...till I was a bad seeing eye human and they'd run into a tree....But really, I think Spirit can still have a full happy life!!

How long will he be staying with you?? :scratch: :hearts:

Patt
03-28-2006, 05:52 PM
I am sorry to hear about Spirit's eyes, blind dogs do very well. Two of my seniors were blind and you would never know. You might want to check this link for more info.

It is a new site, be sure to check out their message board
http://www.blinddog.info/

They have a new DVD out new skills for blind dogs
http://www.petcarebooks.com/

Sophie and Lili's Mom
03-28-2006, 05:53 PM
How long will he be staying with you?? :scratch: :hearts:

I am not sure how long he will be here. It depends on how long it takes for him to overcome his fear of men. Then we have to find him the perfect home. I know that another foster (esp. Yolanda) would treat him as well as I but for consistanty I want to keep him here. Any move is going to be stressful for him and he will likely regress some but the fewer moves he has the better.

lotsadox
03-28-2006, 05:56 PM
You are such an :angel7: I"m so glad that you and Spirit came together. :hearts:

Frzframe
03-28-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear that nothing can be done to recover his sight. But I'm very happy to know he's not in any pain.

I think in time he'll do great and that you'll find the perfect furever home for him.

Courtney
03-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Well I am glad he is not in any pain. He will adapt and I bet soon you won't even be able to tell he is blind. Dax got around so well, and he was the best dog on the planet too! God I miss him!!!!

areese
03-28-2006, 06:14 PM
I think he'll do really well...with time with you and then the perfect home with understanding new parents to help him. Our cat, Bob, is blind and he does really really well.

Pokeys Mom
03-28-2006, 06:38 PM
:tissue: His story still gets me. I am so glad that Spirit is not in any pain, and that he is under your :angel7: care. :) With you, all he is going to know what :love5: really is!

Here are some coping and adjustment :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

JanUet
03-28-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm glad to hear that Spirit is Healthy! It saddens me that he is completely blind ( Yes, the abusers should be punished!:mad:)

I agree with everyone else.....He will learn to cope with his disability and soon enough, you won't even know he is blind.

You can show him what happiness is.....Blind or Not! :hearts:

Mama S.
03-28-2006, 08:24 PM
If he has to be blind, I'm glad he's there with you getting plenty of love and support to help him into the next phase of his life!
Sandi

Bella's Mom
03-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Poor baby... :bigrayz: :bigrayz: I'm sure he'll adjust quickly and as long as he has a loving home he'll thrive and be a very happy boy. :hearts: